FAM Flight Status

Not sure if this has been posted but I was looking at the site for it this evening and noticed this:

Future of the Flight Deck Training Program

Though pilots and controllers alike find value in the training provided by the FDT program, the FAA is operating based on informed, risk-based decisions. Staffing shortages in all areas of the aviation industry are causing significant strain on the NAS. The FAA does not want to contribute potential problems to an already strained system. When weighing the risks to the NAS versus the rewards gained from the training, the risks are still significant enough that the FAA and our industry partners are taking a cautious approach going forward.

Flight Deck Training Automated System (FDTAS)​

FDTAS is the software solution which allowed for scheduling Flight Deck Training events by eligible Air Traffic employees. Since March 2020, the Flight Deck Training program itself has been suspended due to the impacts of COVID-19

FDTAS was developed in collaboration with airline partners to access CASS. FDTAS itself has been identified as having software security vulnerabilities which require it to be deactivated and removed from the Agency’s mission support network. The FAA deactivated FDTAS on February 24th, 2023. Updating these systems will require significant coordination and efforts by not only multiple LOB’s and servicing units, but also external industry partners.

The deactivation of the FDTAS software tool does not itself represent the termination of the Flight Deck Training program.
Just put us directly into cass. Simple. Oh and I love the let’s punish everyone cus some facilities or areas are understaffed

Exactly. If we don't have the staffing to do it then it won't be approved. If we do have the staffing to do it there is no excuse to say we can't because of staffing.
Plus i know some people would bid long weekends and then do it the. Or if you can get an rdo swap or a trade approved why do they care?

We've always not had the staffing to do it.....
When I used to do FDT, I would bid leave around my RDOs. AL RDO RDO AL. Then turn in the preapproved AL for the FDT training.
You would have a <1% chance of getting FDT approved by choosing random dates.

I know not everyone uses FDT, and not everyone is a OJTI, but I bet most people will lose more money (through savings from FDT) then they will earn with the extra OJT percent.

We've always not had the staffing to do it.....
When I used to do FDT, I would bid leave around my RDOs. AL RDO RDO AL. Then turn in the preapproved AL for the FDT training.
You would have a <1% chance of getting FDT approved by choosing random dates.
My atm denied mine, even tho it has been done for years. Jokes on them, they got shitcanned for corruption.

I met a girl in Vegas on a bachelor party trip and then flew on a 767 six months later to meet her in Chicago. i used the flight deck program. Left on my Friday and came back on my Monday. We went to a bulls game. A blackhawks game. Ate expensive dinners and banged all weekend. Then we never spoke again. I’ll miss that program.

I met a girl in Vegas on a bachelor party trip and then flew on a 767 six months later to meet her in Chicago. i used the flight deck program. Left on my Friday and came back on my Monday. We went to a bulls game. A blackhawks game. Ate expensive dinners and banged all weekend. Then we never spoke again. I’ll miss that program.
Sir this is a Wendy’s

Sir this is a Wendy’s
But also, keep going...

The agency when the NAS is imploding with delays/cancellations clearly caused by ATC staffing: “There is no staffing crisis, it’s just weather and airline scheduling.”

The agency when controller Billy Bob wants to take one FAM flight to see what the other end of the radio’s like: “Fuck you Billy, can’t you see we’re short staffed here?!”

NATCA during all of it: “Wow, this sounds like a mess. We’ll be sure to talk it over between mojitos in Hawaii. Also, who wants to buy a $30 convention t-shirt? #insolidarity”

God bless America.

We had our local Delta chief pilots in this week to do meet and greets with the controllers. They said they love the flight deck training program and it is not being held up by the airlines 👀

I really didn’t want to do a fam flight as a d side trainee. Been waiting for years now to do a FAM flight as a CPC. Wtf is the holdup?!

Saw this revived from the dead on the rss feed. Has anyone tried? How far would it go before they say no? I have no chance because of staffing.

Saw this revived from the dead on the rss feed. Has anyone tried? How far would it go before they say no? I have no chance because of staffing.
Last update was that there was basically no program anymore. The ELMS and website for the materials were removed and there is no process to try to do it. NATCA basically said due to staffing shortages they can’t in good conscience let controllers use work days for FAM trips rather than be in the operations.

Last update was that there was basically no program anymore. The ELMS and website for the materials were removed and there is no process to try to do it. NATCA basically said due to staffing shortages they can’t in good conscience let controllers use work days for FAM trips rather than be in the operations.
That is so incredibly short sighted. Anyone who has been on a FAM flight can attest to it’s value. It’s truly a win-win situation, valuable training that benefits the controller also. NATCA/management, ( they’re in bed together anyway ) waste so much time with traffic dodging scams but they can’t in conscience support this. Conscience? It would be funny if it wasn’t so sad.

Do Nos they have to drag the well staffed facilities and the seasonal facilities. Not everyone is on 6 day weeks

IIRC, it isn’t an issue with NATCA not being on board. ALPA hasn’t come to an agreement with the airlines and the FAA on the reinstitution of the program.

Back
Top Bottom