Fort Irwin

OhG

FAA
Facility
POC Brackett Tower
Got a tentative offer from Fort Irwin in Bumfucknowhere, California and I'm going through the pre-employment process right now. The job announcement said there were 5 vacancies they were looking to fill. Anyone here get an offer? Or know anyone that does or has worked there?

Got a tentative offer from Fort Irwin in Bumfucknowhere, California and I'm going through the pre-employment process right now. The job announcement said there were 5 vacancies they were looking to fill. Anyone here get an offer? Or know anyone that does or has worked there?
I used to work in the R-2515 airspace office and helped with the set up of Sundance (Ft Irwin) what do you want to know? And it's actually 30 miles past Bumfucknowhere, CA.

I used to work in the R-2515 airspace office and helped with the set up of Sundance (Ft Irwin) what do you want to know? And it's actually 30 miles past Bumfucknowhere, CA.

Oh, that's lovely.

Honestly, just as much general information about the job as possible. How were working hours? What's life on the base like? What was the cost of living on base or, God forbid, did you actually stay in Barstow? :eek:

EDIT: Oh, wait, 2515? That's just west of the Fort Irwin restricted area. Did you work at Edwards or was it strictly just R-2515 you worked in?

Last edited:
Oh, that's lovely.

Honestly, just as much general information about the job as possible. How were working hours? What's life on the base like? What was the cost of living on base or, God forbid, did you actually stay in Barstow? :eek:

EDIT: Oh, wait, 2515? That's just west of the Fort Irwin restricted area. Did you work at Edwards or was it strictly just R-2515 you worked in?
I work at Edwards now. The Ft Irwin job is right next door to us. I don't know their hours but I can tell you that the job itself is a snooze fest. They are only "busy" (Not busy at all) during orange flag. It's two weeks a month when Nellis sends some aircraft out there to do joint drills with the army. I haven't heard of civilians can stay on base there or not you'll have to call and ask that. Barstow is a seriously depressing hole though. But, I can say that it is super cheap. All in all, it's only a job to hold you over till your next one. Don't plan on staying any longer than needed.

I work at Edwards now. The Ft Irwin job is right next door to us. I don't know their hours but I can tell you that the job itself is a snooze fest. They are only "busy" (Not busy at all) during orange flag. It's two weeks a month when Nellis sends some aircraft out there to do joint drills with the army. I haven't heard of civilians can stay on base there or not you'll have to call and ask that. Barstow is a seriously depressing hole though. But, I can say that it is super cheap. All in all, it's only a job to hold you over till your next one. Don't plan on staying any longer than needed.

That's exactly the plan. I'm just starting my FAA process this month so I'm going to hold down this job until I get my start date. But yeah, I've yet to hear a single good thing about Barstow. A family friend of mine is actually working at Fort Irwin as a civilian and he said he lives on base so I should be good there. But I think I saw there's a waiting list for housing so I'm jumping on that as soon as I know when I'll start.

EDIT: I apply for that Edwards job every time they post it, but I guess I'm only good for a GS 9 spot at this point :cry:

HAHA! It's just a direct hire advertisement (resume stash). Edwards is really hard to get into if you don't know the right people. Really I think that's the majority of DOD gigs (other than Barstow). If you ever do get here though it's incredibly difficult to leave. It's the best job in the DOD in one of the worst areas. You get paid GS12 to work for maybe 3 out of the 10hrs your there. And I use the word "work" very very loosely there.

Hey man, I worked Bike Lake, Fort Irwin before it went DoD in 2014-2015. Same main Boss, Ryan C, great dude. That place is NON-RADAR Army flight following, super simple once you get the hang of it. Basically its two weeks of work, 2 weeks pretty chill and dead for X-mas and New Years so nothing through middle of Nov until Feb. They do NOT do the rattler. You bid once a year either straight days, eves or mids. Being contract at the time, Could not live on base, but the base seemed nice. I lived an hour away in Victorville. Barstow is the closest town and that is BFE, so the above was not exaggerating when they said its 30 minutes passed BFE. They have a lot of food options on base and the housing looked pretty awesome, Get on the waitlist NOW.

Hey man, I worked Bike Lake, Fort Irwin before it went DoD in 2014-2015. Same main Boss, Ryan C, great dude. That place is NON-RADAR Army flight following, super simple once you get the hang of it. Basically its two weeks of work, 2 weeks pretty chill and dead for X-mas and New Years so nothing through middle of Nov until Feb. They do NOT do the rattler. You bid once a year either straight days, eves or mids. Being contract at the time, Could not live on base, but the base seemed nice. I lived an hour away in Victorville. Barstow is the closest town and that is BFE, so the above was not exaggerating when they said its 30 minutes passed BFE. They have a lot of food options on base and the housing looked pretty awesome, Get on the waitlist NOW.

That's what I've been meaning to do, contacting them about getting on the waiting list for housing.

I see you work at Alliance, I'm at Navy Fort Worth just west of Meacham tower. Until September that is. I live just south of AFW by the Alliance Town Center. How long you been up there?

That's what I've been meaning to do, contacting them about getting on the waiting list for housing.

I see you work at Alliance, I'm at Navy Fort Worth just west of Meacham tower. Until September that is. I live just south of AFW by the Alliance Town Center. How long you been up there?
About two years now. AFW is not a bad gig at all. Fort Irwin is in middle of BFE but it's a damn sweet gig man.

About two years now. AFW is not a bad gig at all. Fort Irwin is in middle of BFE but it's a damn sweet gig man.

Yeah, one of the DoD guys that used to be here had a wife that worked flight planning for you guys and made pretty good money. I'd take that in a heartbeat for the 70k she was supposedly making.

Back
Top Bottom