FSS jobs in Alaska

I also imagine that if you're getting your facility assignment with your TOL, there's gonna be some rejections followed by HR going around trying to get more people to fill the holes.

I wouldn’t cry if you got jnu. You may get switched to OTZ or CDB. Jnu is def top 3.

To get to OTZ, you have to go through Central Rotation. To get that, you first need to backfill, though they try to pull from TKA. JNU to OTZ is very unlikely. CDB is hard to staff, and it's staffed out of ENA, so JNU to CDB isn't common unless they have a slot and cannot fill it from ENA.

I mean, I'm sure they're looking to take a lot fewer people than an ATC bid would, and not everyone hangs out on forums
I agree, still interesting to note. Wonder what the numbers look like

Without sounds like a dick do yo mind if I ask you why you want this job? It’s been stated here there is no realistic chance FSS will ever become a pipeline into ATC. The pay is low relative to cost of living. It’s interesting a bit and a government job but unless you change federal careers are you really excited to spend your career in Alaska?

Without sounds like a dick do yo mind if I ask you why you want this job? It’s been stated here there is no realistic chance FSS will ever become a pipeline into ATC. The pay is low relative to cost of living. It’s interesting a bit and a government job but unless you change federal careers are you really excited to spend your career in Alaska?
Juneau radio tops out higher than JNU tower. But okay. Have you ever even been to Alaska?

Yes, because I've lived here my whole life so the thought of ending up in middle-of-nowhere Alaska is a lot less scary than ending up in say middle-of-nowhere Idaho (no offense to Idahoians) and from reading pointsixtyfive it seems like ERRing out of whatever place I could end up down there to a more desirable/higher level facility is also not looking really good. I also have family all over the state so there are only a couple FSS locations that I wouldn't have any roots or connections. I did also apply to the regular ATC bid but now that they took away the OCONUS option at the academy FSS is my preference.

Also, different places in AK have drastically different cost of living, so there's a good change that I'll end up in a place with a lower cost of living than what I have now, but making $20,000 more a year. How many controllers in the lower 48 would take a pay cut to be able to ERR closer to where they want to be?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Idaho doesn't seem so bad. I like potatoes.

Last edited:
I agree, still interesting to note. Wonder what the numbers look like
Just talked to my friend who is in FSS academy up there right now. His class has 6 people and might become 8 soon. The class length is about 4 months. Also by HR I was told the next class date is May 2020, so hopefully that kind of gives you an idea.

I do read everywhere that you can’t go back to ATC tower, but I personally not interested in that route, however he claims that option is available (don’t shoot the messenger). He got FSS not from the bid, but not making it at an enroute facility. Hopefully all this somehow gives you some info. Also, his destination is Fairbanks.

To be honest, cost of living scares the crap out of me ??‍♂️ Alaska is very beautiful and from Juneau perspective very outdoor friendly which my family enjoys a lot. Also, my wife somehow prefers Juneau, Alaska over Myrtle Beach, SC (possible job offer there). ??‍♂️Currently live in Denver and recently moved from Chicago.

I couldn't see myself living in Alaska forever (though who knows, maybe that will change) but I do think it would be neat to experience Alaska for a few years. ERRing might not be an option, but one could always take an FSS job while continuing to apply to ATC bids. If you can start your Federal time sooner, why not? Cost of living does worry me a little bit, but not too much because I'm from California. I'd be making much more than I do now (at least eventually) so I know I could make it work.

Back
Top Bottom