Getting rehired after quiting

Level doesnt necessarily determine the ability to train controllers ZME is a 85% pass versus MWH and it's 37%.

Level doesnt necessarily determine the ability to train controllers ZME is a 85% pass versus MWH and it's 37%.

MWH is a training program issue though. Has been for many years.
And we have all seen the trainee who take two planes minding their own business and tries to put them together. As stated, some people can’t do the job. Small VFR towers can get hopping, which can be difficult when you have periods of slow time (winter ops), where as big airports that push the same traffic year round.

I mean sure...don't you guys have like 6 taxiways. What are some of the things that someone could possibly struggle with after training for multiple months on GC/CD

I can push it with mt ATM if you want to come to RNO, keep in mind we wash people on GC here. NEST, Academy, Prev Exp...whatever you can get washed on GC/CD...

You know what...

Since you're the first person on this board to offer...

Scrooge It. :)

If I'm going to talk the talk, then I should be willing to walk the walk. I would like to work some busier traffic, but I'm game...

I'm on the road right now, but I'll be back in my office at the end of next week. I'll send a package to RNO at that time. I know we're not supposed to disclose any personal details on the board, but I'm guessing the envelope will be easily recognizable when it arrives. Tell the chief that if he's willing to process it, I'll give him a fully-certified body as quickly as I can.

I do have other packages out there, and I'll support the first manager/facility that's willing to process it.

Cheers.

You know what...

Since you're the first person on this board to offer...

Scrooge It. :)

If I'm going to talk the talk, then I should be willing to walk the walk. I would like to work some busier traffic, but I'm game...

I'm on the road right now, but I'll be back in my office at the end of next week. I'll send a package to RNO at that time. I know we're not supposed to disclose any personal details on the board, but I'm guessing the envelope will be easily recognizable when it arrives. Tell the chief that if he's willing to process it, I'll give him a fully-certified body as quickly as I can.

I do have other packages out there, and I'll support the first manager/facility that's willing to process it.

Cheers.

Sounds good man, the ATM and management are super cool. I'll be out for about a week but when I get back I'll fill them in on the process too.

Sounds good man, the ATM and management are super cool. I'll be out for about a week but when I get back I'll fill them in on the process too.

If you're out for a week, then the timing should be just about right. Cool. Thanks in advance for any assistance. We'll see how it goes.

MWH is a training program issue though. Has been for many years.
And we have all seen the trainee who take two planes minding their own business and tries to put them together. As stated, some people can’t do the job. Small VFR towers can get hopping, which can be difficult when you have periods of slow time (winter ops), where as big airports that push the same traffic year round.

Very true on the volume changing, we can go from dead to 450-500 ops mixing GA with air carriers and cargo on crossing runways or parallels separated 700' centerline to centerline. It can screw someone who has been training through winter.

I mean sure...don't you guys have like 6 taxiways. What are some of the things that someone could possibly struggle with after training for multiple months on GC/CD

2 parallels and 1 crossing, 16 taxiways, weight restrictions, wingspan restrictions, constant crossings. My opinion it is easy, even with CD combined up during the busy times.

The trainees attempt to standardize their answers to everything, unfortunately with a 50/50 split of carrier and GA traffic you cant really standardize much. They're lacking critical problem solving skills.

As I recall, VFR towers kinda got the shaft in reclass. Most of them were contracted out, and the busiest that the FAA kept were relegated to level 7 and under. VNY was the busiest VFR tower at the time. Everything above that was considered Limited Radar Tower. A level 7 VFR tower and a level 7 up/down were not comparable the last time I saw both in action. Take any VFR tower and it should probably be a plus-3 at least. I worked at ILM (level 7) as my first facility and it is nowhere near as hard or as busy as VNY.

Interpolating, RNO is not all THAT busy, but it's no slouch at 100K operations per year, seasonal. Close-spaced parallels can be a bitch. I almost hung myself a couple of times at MEM because of that, as did many others... and a very good controller got a golden towbar award on the FedEx nighttime inbound push.

Last edited:
There are a few threads on this out there but none were particularly recent. I am a cpc for 8 years at a level 8 and now 7 facility. my wife and son both have medical issues that require us to move out of our current area. I am having trouble getting the appropriate doctors notes etc. I am still working on this as well as having ERR's in for the past few years. I have also applied to Sup bids in an attempt to get out, though i'm not really interested in being one. Our situation is getting a bit desperate and I am considering resigning and rehiring at a facility where the medical issues will not be an issue. I do not wish to do this but I don't have a lot of choices left. Is there a specific FAA order that i can look at to see how this process works and what can I expect? Any other advise would be appreciated. Thanks
I'm curious: did you eventually resign? If so, how does that work with your TSP, retirement, accrued leave left etc?

Back
Top Bottom