Government Shutdown

I have a funny feeling he's going to claim a national emergency and have the military build it, Democrats will have shit fit and keep the government closed in retaliation. McConnell and Pelosi will have to sit in chairs staring at each other and think about what they have done, Trump will talk about how he's made yuge progress while keeping his nose in the corner.
He's only threatening to declare a national emergency because if he was able to, he would have gone through with it. It's the same issue that he faced in regards to other executive orders such as the muslim ban, DACA, etc, courts will block.

I have a funny feeling he's going to claim a national emergency and have the military build it, Democrats will have shit fit and keep the government closed in retaliation. McConnell and Pelosi will have to sit in chairs staring at each other and think about what they have done, Trump will talk about how he's made yuge progress while keeping his nose in the corner.
I’m predict they will start passing smaller bills to fund things like the IRS and DOT.

He actually can declare it, he just wants the win over the Dems to prove he's in power.

Can Donald Trump really declare a national emergency to build his wall?

They also already tried passing smaller bills on this previous round, they won't make it through the Senate without a full bill including wall funding.
He can declare it but courts will very likely block as they did with DACA and a travel ban from Muslim countries.

@32andBelow
They did that already, they still need Mcconell's approval to vote on bills in the Senate, which he says he will refuse unless it is something that Trump approves.

It's different when you're comparing a border wall to actual people, hard to find a border wall unconstitutional in court.

It's different when you're comparing a border wall to actual people, hard to find a border wall unconstitutional in court.
I am a-poltical, I do not support Trump, Republicans or Democrats and my argument is not from a political bias. A wall is not what they will block or rule against, a large amount of land on the border is privately-owned and in order to build on those lands he needs to use emminent-domain, which he needs congressional approval for, thats what they would rule against. The military, legally, can not seize U.S. citizen's land.

So back to the original question then, if/when we get W-2’s when do they typically start being released? I assume hard copy vs electronic takes longer.

He can declare it but courts will very likely block as they did with DACA and a travel ban from Muslim countries.

@32andBelow
They did that already, they still need Mcconell's approval to vote on bills in the Senate, which he says he will refuse unless it is something that Trump approves.

Eventually, enough Republican senators will abandon the idea of keeping the government shutdown until they get wall funding. Also, there are Senate procedures to bring bills to the floor without the Majority Leader's approval. Once those bills are up for a vote, there will be quite a few R senators that aren't going to vote to keep their constituents from their paychecks. Then if the President vetoes those bills, he gets to own the shutdown all by himself.

Eventually, enough Republican senators will abandon the idea of keeping the government shutdown until they get wall funding. Also, there are Senate procedures to bring bills to the floor without the Majority Leader's approval. Once those bills are up for a vote, there will be quite a few R senators that aren't going to vote to keep their constituents from their paychecks. Then if the President vetoes those bills, he gets to own the shutdown all by himself.
He already owned it. On camera. And was proud. Cuz the double down on the shot in the moment is foundational to the con.

He already owned it. On camera. And was proud. Cuz the double down on the shot in the moment is foundational to the con.

Oh, I saw him say that too and I know that this is all his doing. But if he were to veto actual bipartisan legislation then he can't say it's democrat obstructionism. The democrats can't give in now, because if he gets his way, then next year we will be getting another shutdown for some other nonsense on his list.

He'll just pretend to be the strong man in gov, play the Republicans as if they caved in to the Democrats, falls in line with his drain the swamp mantra.

Look he can't give in. And without the house he has no leverage. This is on Mitch McConnell 100%. Trump is only concerned about Trump and if he doesn't get the border wall he risks leaking base points. If his base wavers then he's vulnerable to a primary. Getting primaried would be humiliating for him and the party and it's the reason McConnell will put the party over reason. All the angles from all the players are just self preservation.
The wall is a stupid waste of money, but his base wants the symbol. His base has been the only priority since taking office. Then after the primary, the propaganda channel will switch to target voters in the 7 swing states. No one else matters; you can yell all you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom