Government Shutdown

Flashy Vectors

Forum Sage
FAA
Facility
ZDV Denver Center
Does anyone know if the bill that passed for the FAA funding keeps non essential personnel at work during government shutdowns? I’ve been hearing conflicting information.

That's well and good, but when the government shuts down, you won't get paid no matter what funding is guaranteed in that bill. Everyone non-essential is sent home including the good folks who cut the paychecks. They'll definitely send trainees home who aren't checked out on any positions.
Every shutdown since at least 2007 when I joined the FAA every person forced to stay home ended up still getting paid. Sucks if you live check to check, but basically a paid vacation if you could comfortably wait for the money back. I actually took leave during the last shut down knowing there was a good chance I wouldn't be charged leave AND still get paid. That's exactly what happened too. Are you guaranteed to get paid, definitely not. But so far that's been the case

Every shutdown since at least 2007 when I joined the FAA every person forced to stay home ended up still getting paid. Sucks if you live check to check, but basically a paid vacation if you could comfortably wait for the money back. I actually took leave during the last shut down knowing there was a good chance I wouldn't be charged leave AND still get paid. That's exactly what happened too. Are you guaranteed to get paid, definitely not. But so far that's been the case
I concur, I always schedule leave when a shutdown is looming because you are basically guaranteed to get paid anyway and not get charged leave, it's awesome.

Yes that's true, but seemingly the question is will this five year funding bill that was passed somehow affect the non-essential personnel staffing during a shutdown? It will not. Essential folks will work and get paid later, and most likely the non-essential folks will stay home and get paid later. But you aren't wrong about the outcome so far.

Does anyone know if the bill that passed for the FAA funding keeps non essential personnel at work during government shutdowns? I’ve been hearing conflicting information.

Email excerpt that went out to our region...

Some of you will ask “but I thought FAA reauthorization has already passed, why would we be shutdown?”. Remember, there are two parts to the process. The authorization process (which has been accomplished) and outlines the framework of what the FAA will look like for the next five years. Then there is appropriations, which is the funding portion that is required to be done annually. The second part (appropriations) is what still needs to be accomplished. The FAA’s funding levels are outlined in the Transportation, Housing, and Urban Development (THUD) bill which has yet to be addressed. It is currently included in a stalled multiple agency funding bill (Omnibus Bill) that has yet to be agreed upon and sent to the President for signature.

Email excerpt that went out to our region...

Some of you will ask “but I thought FAA reauthorization has already passed, why would we be shutdown?”. Remember, there are two parts to the process. The authorization process (which has been accomplished) and outlines the framework of what the FAA will look like for the next five years. Then there is appropriations, which is the funding portion that is required to be done annually. The second part (appropriations) is what still needs to be accomplished. The FAA’s funding levels are outlined in the Transportation, Housing, and Urban Development (THUD) bill which has yet to be addressed. It is currently included in a stalled multiple agency funding bill (Omnibus Bill) that has yet to be agreed upon and sent to the President for signature.

Isn't government service grand?

With a potential government shutdown looming, how will this affect the 2018 OTS bid, if at all? I believe, I read somewhere that during the 2012 government shut down, the FAA did a hiring freeze for the year but I am not sure if that person's statement was accurate.

I recently took the AT-SA and am waiting to hear back for my results. If there is a prolonged government shutdown and I did indeed pass the AT-SA, does that mean that there is a chance that I won't be able to attend the academy?

I recently took the AT-SA and am waiting to hear back for my results. If there is a prolonged government shutdown and I did indeed pass the AT-SA, does that mean that there is a chance that I won't be able to attend the academy?

IF you get referred from the AT-SA, and IF you then get a TOL, and IF you pass your clearance and medical, then.... it still probably won't make a difference. Even if it dragged on for several months (it won't), they'd still just continue hiring from the 2018 bid once they all get back to work. If, after a long shutdown, next summer rolls around and they still have a huge pool of candidates from 2018, then they may not need to have a 2019 bid. But who knows. Short answer, there are a lot of far more likely things that could keep you from getting to the academy, so it's not even worth worrying about it.

@artur19922

Its takes a significant amount of time in the hiring process. Still don't expect to hear about a class date until after 6-8 months from ATSA, at the earliest, if everything goes well.

With a potential government shutdown looming, how will this affect the 2018 OTS bid, if at all? I believe, I read somewhere that during the 2012 government shut down, the FAA did a hiring freeze for the year but I am not sure if that person's statement was accurate.

The 2012 shutdown led to sequestration. Sequestration is what caused the year long hiring freeze in 2013.

Back
Top Bottom