Government Shutdown

At the academy, we were informed that if it last less then 3 days we come back to work...if longer then 3 days we are sent home.

And then you start over!

Or at least that's how they made it seem when I was there.

The best maternity/family leave I ever got from the FAA was during a shutdown. Shame our union couldn't negotiate even one paid day for families.
Yea such a shame, they adequately pay us, TSP matching, pension, annuity suppimemnt until 62, ability to work overtime and credit, FMLA.... how dare they not give us more.

Last edited:
Yea such a shame, they adequately pay us, TSP matching, pension, annuity suppimemnt until 62, ability to work overtime and credit, FMLA.... how dare they not give us more.
Almost every private company has a family leave policy as well as the military. As an atc I am unable to purchase short term disability insurance and I am not eligible for my state's short term disability. The only option I have is to use every bit of leave I earn plus go negative in sick leave to care for my children. Seems unfair. They should at the very least offer us short term disability insurance.

Almost every private company has a family leave policy as well as the military. As an atc I am unable to purchase short term disability insurance and I am not eligible for my state's short term disability. The only option I have is to use every bit of leave I earn plus go negative in sick leave to care for my children. Seems unfair. They should at the very least offer us short term disability insurance.
Would UNUM help you in this case?

Would UNUM help you in this case?
We currently are only offered long term disability insurance so unfortunately maternity leave wouldn't be covered unless you have some serious complications. Under the most expensive plan with unum the benefits start to pay out at 90 days.

The private companies I worked for before this you’d be lucky to get 3 sick days a year and 2 weeks vacation after 10years. The government is far more rewarding then relying on business ethics to give people personal time

The government pto is actually kinda low but the sick time is really high. I wish we had more of a General pto bank.
Careful what you wish for, allegedly this is being discussed as a cost saving measure for the government, but the formula they use to dish out general leave will be less then what you are currently accruing with annual and sick combined.

I’d be okay with that tbh. The amount of sick leave is obscene

You planning on going management? They want to keep scheduling me for 56 hours a week then damn straight I better get my 2 weeks of sick time a year. Gotta fight the burnout somehow and they already cut back how many vacation days we are allowed to bid for next year.

Idk man, I came from a cushy mid level corporate gig. Company car, salary, bonuses and stuff. 20 paid days off for just leave is pretty damn good, I was getting a 4 hours per pay period general pto at my last job.

Back
Top Bottom