Government Shutdown

Tom: Looks like you're quoting from CPM 2019-03, which (by my reading) specifically deals with last year's shutdown. Do you have any reason to believe it's a continuing policy for future shutdowns?

I am of the understanding that there has never been a government shutdown where the employees have not been back paid. I think there would be a hell of a lot of sicking out if they tried fucking with our pay (more so than usual).

Tom: Looks like you're quoting from CPM 2019-03, which (by my reading) specifically deals with last year's shutdown. Do you have any reason to believe it's a continuing policy for future shutdowns?
Hey you are right. I couldn't find the law that was passed but I think this guidance was issued after (and it would make sense that it stays) but those are pretty huge assumptions. I'll try and look it up after my night shift tonight

I am of the understanding that there has never been a government shutdown where the employees have not been back paid. I think there would be a hell of a lot of sicking out if they tried fucking with our pay (more so than usual).

You cannot work for free. Everyone who works will eventually get paid. This isn’t the question. The backpay portion is really about non-essentials and essential employees who take a day off and are placed in furlough status for the day.

The House and Senate have agreed to a second Continuing Resolution through December 21st. They will pass the CR in each house next week (before Thanksgiving) and the White House has indicated POTUS will sign the measure as long as it does not attempt to block any construction along the border.
How come all the house republicans voted no then? These people just can’t agree on anything.

Hey you are right. I couldn't find the law that was passed but I think this guidance was issued after (and it would make sense that it stays) but those are pretty huge assumptions. I'll try and look it up after my night shift tonight
Fair employee act of 2019

Fair employee act of 2019
Thanks!

Relevant quotes from CPM 2019-04:
This amendment covers employees affected by the current and any future lapse in appropriations.

New section 1341(c) addresses Federal employees who are furloughed as a result of a lapse in appropriations, as well as Federal employees who are required to perform excepted work activities during a lapse. Retroactive pay will be paid at the employee’s standard rate of pay.
Leave: Section 1341(c)(3) establishes a new requirement, providing that excepted employees who are required to perform work during a lapse in appropriations “shall be entitled to use leave” under 5 U.S.C. chapter 63, if applicable (or under other applicable law if chapter 63 is not applicable), but that compensation for the leave will be paid after the lapse ends. [...] they are not required to use leave to cover periods of authorized absence from work. Instead, they may choose to remain in the default status of being furloughed during any such authorized absence during the lapse.

Does that mean if you have leave already approved during the shutdown you can request to show furlough instead, and so save your leave hours? That's what it looks like to me...

That’s the question Termine. Before we’ve always been paid, and the leave used during the shutdowns turned into excused absence and didn’t cost you a thing.
I am wondering since this new law approves the use of paid leave, are we hosed on the loophole, and will be using our own leave or the “furlough” selection will end up being LWOP.

You cannot work for free. Everyone who works will eventually get paid. This isn’t the question. The backpay portion is really about non-essentials and essential employees who take a day off and are placed in furlough status for the day.
Sorry, I misspoke, I meant that as far as I know, the govt has never declined to backpay those in furlough status (e.g. "sick leave" during a shutdown)

The Dems could use it, as a final nail in the coffin, to try and gain the Presidency. A government shutdown is not out of the question.

I think that’s too risky. They’d have to manipulate it in such a way that they look blameless which would not be easy to do. But if anything was going to do it it would be to prevent a new justice getting confirmed, but I don’t know how they’d be able to shut it down over that.

edit: Pelosi addresses that specific scenario actually and said she will not leverage a gov shutdown over it

Back
Top Bottom