Hardship Template Letter

Phillytroll69

Forum Sage
FAA
Facility
JNU Juneau Tower
Neil J Hubert said:
I just saw your post and admittedly I would think a generic template would be handy.
Section 1-If you have an emergency, failure of health, etc you may be able to just ask instead of going through all those-although it is discretionary

Section 2- YOUR NAME is requesting a hardship for one of three reasons

1-I’m sick, my spouse is sick, my kid is sick, and we have to move to increase access to health services or improve other aspects. (wife’s stress, kid’s cancer, wife’s depression) Keep in mind you don’t want to lose your medical

2. My/spouse’s parents are sick, and REQUIRE us to be primary caretaker. Maybe it’s due to finances, no in home nurses, etc.

3.My wife and I are divorced and she took the kids INVOLUNTARILY-there may be a way this happens in courts

THAT”S IT, there are no other reasons that you can hardship-if you submit one it is denied. You must STATE the reason

Section 3-See the last line-IN QUOTES OR IT WILL BE DENIED
A-
“ I AM REQUESTING AN EMPLOYEE REQUESTED REASSIGNMENT (ERR) IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE ERR PROCEDURES AND THIS ARTICLE

B- TO POSITION 2152 (OR FSS MAYBE?), FACILITY GRADES, GEOGRAPHICAL
AREA

C FOR THE REASON OF (AND SEE ATTACHED DOCUMENTS)”

D 3330-42 NEED STO BE ATTACHED

E FROM 3330-43-1 NEEDS TO BE ATTACHED

F RESUME

G MOST RECENT PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL

H LOOP BACK TO SECTION 3 AND ADD

“I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS HARDSHIP TRANSFER IS PRIMARILY IN THE INTEREST OF THE EMPLOYEE AND RELOCATION IS AT NO EXPENSE TO THE GOVERNMENT; AND
I
I AUTHORIZE THE PARTIES TO CONTACT THE APPROPRIATE SOURCES AS APPLICABLE TO THE REQUEST FOR THE PURPOSE OF VALIDATING OR CLARIFYING ANY SUPPLIED DOCUMENTATION “

This is your hardship package, if you mess up they don’t have to send-it is best to use the exact words in the article. The ATM cannot approve or deny

The day you turn it in start a timer-

Section 4- Within 14 days, it has to be forwarded, along with their recommendations. On day 14 ask the ATM IN WRITING What his recommendation was, where he sent it so you can follow up

Section 5- The reviewing party now has it and has 14 days to decide if it’s legit and make recommendations. Find out what day they received it, and when they sent it back

Section 6-within 14 days of sending it back, you should have a release date (if you aren’t scamming)-If you can’t leave for staffing- Every 6 months you are to be provided an update.

Section 7-if you don’t like it you have your request in for 15 months before it times out

Section 8-Then it is discarded

Section 9-This is for employees here

NOTES-IF YOU DO THIS AROUND HOLIDAYS OR SOMETHING THERE’S A GOOD CHANCE PEOPLE WON’T BE ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH EVERYTHING IN THE ALOTTED TIME AND YOU’LL HAVE TO FILE A GRIEVANCE AND BE GRANTED A HARDSHIP THAT WAY SO PLEASE DON’T DO THAT

Being estranged from your kids is supposed to qualify, but you're saying that alone won't be enough to justify the hardship?

The mother of my kids and I have a court order in place for child support, medical insurance, and dates I'm supposed to have the kids. She has on repeated occasions violated the dates I'm supposed to have the kids and I have text records of her denying me my time. I was thinking of adding those as a reason.

I'm in Los Angeles and the kids are all the way in Texas, which should meet the "ease of commute" part of the hardship category, too, right?

Last edited:
Being estranged from your kids is supposed to qualify, but you're saying that alone won't be enough to justify the hardship?

The mother of my kids and I have a court order in place for child support, medical insurance, and dates I'm supposed to have the kids. She has on repeated occasions violated the dates I'm supposed to have the kids and I have text records of her denying me my time. I was thinking of adding those as a reason.

I'm in Los Angeles and the kids are all the way in Texas, which should meet the "ease of commute" part of the hardship category, too, right?
The more documentation the better chances, attach everything you have!

Side note, if you agreed for them to move or moved away from them and it wasn’t against your will then you probably will be denied. Being denied seeing your kids is a legal issue and not an FAA issue.

The more documentation the better chances, attach everything you have!

Side note, if you agreed for them to move or moved away from them and it wasn’t against your will then you probably will be denied. Being denied seeing your kids is a legal issue and not an FAA issue.

This is my first facility so it wasn't really a voluntary transfer.

While I agree with you the FAA may see it as well we didn't force you to take the job to be away from your kids. I've seen a few denied based on those grounds.
And they should be denied. They chose to leave your kids with zero guarantees to get back, yet they still thought you’d be special. I hate the placement process but bet they chose a facility that someone in their class wanted and they screwed them to go to Moses lake.

Good point. Kinda like moving in next to a drag strip (or airport) and demanding they shut it down because the noise bothers you
At the same time, you could argue that you accepted employment with the FAA under the notion that you were getting your foot in the door for other opportunities and didn’t realize how bad relocation is for controllers.

At the same time, you could argue that you accepted employment with the FAA under the notion that you were getting your foot in the door for other opportunities and didn’t realize how bad relocation is for controllers.
They would still deny it most likely. I had a horrible medical situation for a family member that got my hardship approved but if the situation came up before I took the job my hardship probably wouldn’t have got approved. I “lucked out” by a month and had doctors medical notes to prove the dates happened after I left the academy.

Back
Top Bottom