Hiring Options for Radar-Only Experience?

ChrisDaGr8

Any other hiring options for folks without a CTO state-side? Air Force RAPC, Watch Supervisor experience. I know there's DOD and FAA on usajobs. Anything else that could lead to a CTO? Any contract tower companies hiring ATCS with radar-only experience?

Are you searching for a CTO or are you searching for a radar job? Theres a few radar contracts overseas, but nothing stateside. The radar contracts wont lead to a CTO though either. Your only option to obtaining one of those is the FAA bids (off the street or prior exp), one of the ATC colleges, or *MAYBE* a guard unit. Highly unlikely on the guard unit though since youre prior checked out, theyll just keep you in the radar UTC.

Are you searching for a CTO or are you searching for a radar job? Theres a few radar contracts overseas, but nothing stateside. The radar contracts wont lead to a CTO though either. Your only option to obtaining one of those is the FAA bids (off the street or prior exp), one of the ATC colleges, or *MAYBE* a guard unit. Highly unlikely on the guard unit though since youre prior checked out, theyll just keep you in the radar UTC.
Definitely planning on applying for the prior experience bid, I'm just thinking about an ATC job in the meantime because I know how long and drawn out the hiring process can be. And it seems having a CTO is so much more valuable than a RAPC.

Definitely planning on applying for the prior experience bid, I'm just thinking about an ATC job in the meantime because I know how long and drawn out the hiring process can be. And it seems having a CTO is so much more valuable than a RAPC.
Ya for sure. I took a cool 5 month break between jobs. Had a nice daily routine worked out and that included being poolside at 12:30 drinking winecoolers 7 days a wk.

For marketability and working at contract towers it is. Truth be told though, your better prior experience lists come from people who have lots of radar experience. The contract gig overseas is something I wish I would of done awhile back.

I am assuming there is a reason why you are unable to go overseas to do a contract job. Otherwise that is honestly your best bet to bridge the gap between employment with the FAA.

Good thing is you get great experience in ATC (depending on where you go), and the pay is a lot better.

I am assuming there is a reason why you are unable to go overseas to do a contract job. Otherwise that is honestly your best bet to bridge the gap between employment with the FAA.

Good thing is you get great experience in ATC (depending on where you go), and the pay is a lot better.
Biggest reason is the family, any places overseas where you can bring the family along?

Just work overseas at Bagram or somewhere as a contractor. They have RADAR facilities for you.

Biggest reason is the family, any places overseas where you can bring the family along?
Did you start a family after the military or did you have one while you were in? Reason I ask is cause what difference does it make? Being in the military with family deployments are to be expected where you are unable to bring them. Granted I will say with most contract jobs you will only see them around 1 month out of the year. So I get that is tough. In the end, sacrifices will be made 1 way or another.

There are some locations around the world you can work and bring family. However, not many. I know there is DXB which I believe is still ran by Serco. Only issue is I think they still require a minimum of 2 years of civilian ATC experience (I am not sure why they do not recognize military experience). However, they may have changed that requirement.

Did you start a family after the military or did you have one while you were in? Reason I ask is cause what difference does it make? Being in the military with family deployments are to be expected where you are unable to bring them. Granted I will say with most contract jobs you will only see them around 1 month out of the year. So I get that is tough. In the end, sacrifices will be made 1 way or another.

There are some locations around the world you can work and bring family. However, not many. I know there is DXB which I believe is still ran by Serco. Only issue is I think they still require a minimum of 2 years of civilian ATC experience (I am not sure why they do not recognize military experience). However, they may have changed that requirement.
Totally understand that, I started my family well after joining. I have looked into that too but they require 2 years exp at an international airport.

Private messaged you with a RADAR experience alternative.
Appreciate it.

Any other hiring options for folks without a CTO state-side? Air Force RAPC, Watch Supervisor experience. I know there's DOD and FAA on usajobs. Anything else that could lead to a CTO? Any contract tower companies hiring ATCS with radar-only experience?
Fort drum, NY is a DoD spot. We will be hiring soon and your experience will get you in the door. We train tower and approach.

There’s AMOC on March ARB in SoCal. They like RADAR controllers, it’s not ATC just watching RADAR scopes for CBP. I think I heard something about them opening one up on the East coast recently.

Back
Top Bottom