Hows everyone holding up since being sent home mid training?

Hey everyone! How's everyone holding up since being sent home from the academy? I honestly can't wait for this all to be over so we can pick up our training again. My class was about a week out from non radar evals, and now I'm wondering if we will have to start over or just back track somewhat. I've been trying to brush up on the material in an effort to remain current and not forget the material. The FAA would not allow me to stay in Oklahoma nor fly back home to Guam to be with my husband so my dog and I are crashing with friends in Texas. I want normal life back!!!!!

The only reason they wouldn't allow me to go to Guam right now is due to the quarantine situation. Guam has a mandatory 14 day quarantine right now, but from my understanding most places do. They paid for my drive to Texas. I am not receiving any per diem, nor have they updated us on wether we will be getting paid or not. Many of my classmates and I have been asking for updates on the pay situation and they just tell us they are still figuring it out. When I went to speack with management at the academy directly before leaving Oklahoma they told me the only thing they could offer me due to my "unique" situation was an extra week at my current housing at Kim's place to find somewhere to go. They kept saying, don't you have any family in the states to stay with? I do not have a whole lot of family around so I was limited on finding a place to go.

Just waiting on pay status. They said two weeks ago they’d have an answer. Then last Monday they said it would be answered that day.

Easy fix, Jessica: just replicate the technology from Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, shrink yourself, then use your iPad as a raft and the iPencil as an oar to coast in stealthily to Guam. /s

Probably not a good time for jokes; luckily you had friends in Texas otherwise it seems you wouldn't have had many other options. Glad to hear you're doing well. I'm doing well myself, thanks for asking.

Last edited:
Terminal class here. We were on day one of Tabletops/3D when it all went down. I drove back to the east coast after they told us to leave. Don’t want to leave the house and get sick, so I am stuck at home trying to study and practice phraseology every other day just to keep everything fresh. Sorry to hear about your situation, but I am glad you at least have somewhere to go.

Last edited:
The only reason they wouldn't allow me to go to Guam right now is due to the quarantine situation. Guam has a mandatory 14 day quarantine right now, but from my understanding most places do. They paid for my drive to Texas. I am not receiving any per diem, nor have they updated us on wether we will be getting paid or not. Many of my classmates and I have been asking for updates on the pay situation and they just tell us they are still figuring it out. When I went to speack with management at the academy directly before leaving Oklahoma they told me the only thing they could offer me due to my "unique" situation was an extra week at my current housing at Kim's place to find somewhere to go. They kept saying, don't you have any family in the states to stay with? I do not have a whole lot of family around so I was limited on finding a place to go.
Sounds like the FAA Travel office trying to be cheap. They should be paying for you to go to your home of record, even if you have to sit for 14 days, because I would be shocked if you’re back before the 4th of July, at the rate this is all going

Sounds like the FAA Travel office trying to be cheap. They should be paying for you to go to your home of record, even if you have to sit for 14 days, because I would be shocked if you’re back before the 4th of July, at the rate this is all going

Be careful what you wish for...there is nothing stopping them from just saying, “it’s been real, folks. Best of luck in your future endeavors.”

Be careful what you wish for...there is nothing stopping them from just saying, “it’s been real, folks. Best of luck in your future endeavors.”
The attrition they are going to have on their hands after this all boils over, that is quite the opposite of what they are going to be saying to new-hires.

Even if that’s the choice they choose to make, they pay to bring you out, they have to pay to send you home. To your actual home, not the cheapest place for them. Academy is what, 4 months for tower? Shut down in March, won’t be open until at least May.... they are going to keep you away from home for 6 months or more and out of the academy for 2 plus months with no pay or per diem? In the middle of a national emergency?

Last edited:
Even if that’s the choice they choose to make, they pay to bring you out, they have to pay to send you home. To your actual home, not the cheapest place for them. Academy is what, 4 months for tower? Shut down in March, won’t be open until at least May.... they are going to keep you away from home for 6 months or more and out of the academy for 2 plus months with no pay or per diem? In the middle of a national emergency?
Is it surprising based on how hard the fight was for excused absence and getting people out of the facilities?

#BestJobInTheWorld

That is exactly what they should be saying. Any company would have told new hires to get bent on the day they sent them home. No offense to any of you involved in this but you are more worthless than a one legged janitor right now. You're on admin leave while on probation...you have nothing to complain about.

That shouldn’t matter. What I read is that the Guam authorities have rented out 4 hotels for quarantine of arrivals. They should be sending you to your home home, full stop.

That is exactly what they should be saying. Any company would have told new hires to get bent on the day they sent them home. No offense to any of you involved in this but you are more worthless than a one legged janitor right now. You're on admin leave while on probation...you have nothing to complain about.
They aren’t on admin leave though? I think the academy haven’t made up their mind to pay them or not. If you bring me somewhere for a job, especially from OCONUS, you have to get me home. And that’s not what any company would have done. Some might, but a lot of good ones wouldn’t.

They aren’t on admin leave though? I think the academy haven’t made up their mind to pay them or not. If you bring me somewhere for a job, especially from OCONUS, you have to get me home. And that’s not what any company would have done. Some might, but a lot of good ones wouldn’t.

I thought they were on admin leave so if they're not then yeah...they should either put them on admin leave or pay for their ticket to home. But every company definitely would have terminated and sent them home. I think every airline immediately went to their training classes with pink slips on day 1.

Back
Top Bottom