Issuing an initial heading to be flown off sats (En Route)

corn4ahead

Forum Sage
So I have been a terminal controller for years at multiple facilities. Now, I am training at a Z. One of my lows owns to the ground and I am being told that we cannot issue headings off satellite airports when issuing a release.

All day, everyday my clearances off sats were "N12345, RELEASED FOR DEPARTURE, ENTERING CONTROLLED AIRSPACE, FLY HEADING (XXX), CLEARANCE VOID IF NOT OFF BY XXXX"

I have been told I cannot issue the heading because I am issuing a heading below the MIA. I call BS but the only other response I get is "this isn't approach anymore."" We have different rules and the center."

Thoughts?

Assigning a runway is a control instruction which is a big no-no for an uncontrolled airport. Best you can do is ask what runway they want and provide the release for it
You still get assign it if there’s no surface area so you can use their information to set up a rule or anything like that. But there are airports with single runway ODPs so it’s a bit of a loophole

You still get assign it if there’s no surface area so you can use their information to set up a rule or anything like that. But there are airports with single runway ODPs so it’s a bit of a loophole
I mean ultimately it’s the pilot’s decision what runway they depart from at an uncontrolled airport. When we have a preferred runway we just let them know the delay will be much longer from the other runway and they usually play ball. But it’s still the pilot’s choice

I mean ultimately it’s the pilot’s decision what runway they depart from at an uncontrolled airport. When we have a preferred runway we just let them know the delay will be much longer from the other runway and they usually play ball. But it’s still the pilot’s choice
No you literally can’t assign it. Once you release them they can go off either one. Unless you have an ODP that restricts them. We’re taking class G right? Class E you can assign it all day

I've always done "N12345, say runway departing."

then

"Cleared to the xxx airport via entering controlled airspace heading xxx radar vectors xxx then as filed. On departure, climb and maintain xxx. Squak xxxx."

Then

"released for departure, report airborne, altimeter xxxx. Clearance void time"

Then protect non radar until you have radar contact. I'm tracon tho. If there is an ODP, that could be used instead, but became less popular recently.

Last edited:
i'll tell ya what i do, not saying it's right/wrong. and too lazy to hunt the .65

when entering controlled airspace, fly heading 270, then at the end of the clearance ill say verify this clearance complies with all terrain and obstruction avoidance procedures in the area. may be redundant, but it's just what ive always done

No you literally can’t assign it. Once you release them they can go off either one. Unless you have an ODP that restricts them. We’re taking class G right? Class E you can assign it all day
Nah I thought we were talking class E. And you definitely can’t assign a runway for departure for any uncontrolled airport. The FAA doesn’t want that liability

Nah I thought we were talking class E. And you definitely can’t assign a runway for departure for any uncontrolled airport. The FAA doesn’t want that liability
yah for sure. The only way you really can is with an ODP. But we should call class e uncontrolled cus it’s not. It might be non towered

yah for sure. The only way you really can is with an ODP. But we should call class e uncontrolled cus it’s not. It might be non towered

I want to be sure here because you're saying different things multiple different ways.

At any airport that has no control tower or ATC facility on the field, you cannot assign a runway for departure. Regardless of the class of airspace. Class E airspace to the surface does not give you control to issue a runways assignment.

A field is uncontrolled if there's no tower regardless of the class of airspace.

I had people when I started Rside training at a center tell me that I couldn't tell a guy picking up his IFR airborne "cleared to xxx as filed" with out knowing their altitude and making sure they were above the MIA. Their take was you were assigning a heading to be flown below the MIA. So your story isn't surprising.

You can absolutely assign a heading to be flown "via when entering controlled airspace". Take in to account any DP's or ODP's but that's why there is requirements for pilot concurrence. You're not assigning a take off turn or direction so the AC can remain clear of obstructions taking in to account their aircraft climb performance.
National has come out with specific guidance that an as-filed clearance in the air does NOT constitute a heading to be flown below the MIa.

At any airport that has no control tower or ATC facility on the field, you cannot assign a runway for departure. Regardless of the class of airspace. Class E airspace to the surface does not give you control to issue a runways assignment.

A field is uncontrolled if there's no tower regardless of the class of airspace.
I would disagree with you on both points, or at least play devil's advocate.

First of all I think a Class E airport is a controlled airport. Not controlled in the sense of "airport traffic control service" (although there are rare times/locations where you can have an operational control tower in a Class E surface area). But controlled in that an IFR aircraft must receive an ATC clearance prior to departing from that airport—something that is not necessary at a Class G airport.

My second argument hinges on that definition of "Class E airport" = "controlled airport." If you don't accept that, then you won't like where I'm going with this: What specifically says you can't assign a runway at a Class E airport? Nothing specifically says you can, I'll grant you that, but I don't think it's a huge liability issue and I don't think anyone would hold you accountable for runway separation. Just make sure not to say "cleared for takeoff." If the pilot doesn't like your assigned runway they can unable it, and if you wanted to be safe you could phrase it as an "are you able" instead of an instruction.

I want to be sure here because you're saying different things multiple different ways.

No you can assign a runway and it is controlled if it’s class E. Center owns the surface area and can run special VFR. It’s controlled. Takeoff direction = runway assignment. I suppose If you can find somewhere with parallels it could be one of two but that wouldn’t mess up any of your non radar separation

(b) Locations without Airport Traffic Control Service, but within a Class E surface area specify direction of takeoff/turn or initial heading if necessary. Obtain/solicit the pilot’s concurrence concerning a turn or heading before issuing them in a clearance.

I would disagree with you on both points, or at least play devil's advocate.

First of all I think a Class E airport is a controlled airport. Not controlled in the sense of "airport traffic control service" (although there are rare times/locations where you can have an operational control tower in a Class E surface area). But controlled in that an IFR aircraft must receive an ATC clearance prior to departing from that airport—something that is not necessary at a Class G airport.

My second argument hinges on that definition of "Class E airport" = "controlled airport." If you don't accept that, then you won't like where I'm going with this: What specifically says you can't assign a runway at a Class E airport? Nothing specifically says you can, I'll grant you that, but I don't think it's a huge liability issue and I don't think anyone would hold you accountable for runway separation. Just make sure not to say "cleared for takeoff." If the pilot doesn't like your assigned runway they can unable it, and if you wanted to be safe you could phrase it as an "are you able" instead of an instruction.

Fair enough. I'm getting hung up on issuing instructions on the ground as if I have control of a movement area. But that's not really the way to think of it and anything is possible through pilot concurrence.

No you can assign a runway and it is controlled if it’s class E. Center owns the surface area and can run special VFR. It’s controlled. Takeoff direction = runway assignment. I suppose If you can find somewhere with parallels it could be one of two but that wouldn’t mess up any of your non radar separation

(b) Locations without Airport Traffic Control Service, but within a Class E surface area specify direction of takeoff/turn or initial heading if necessary. Obtain/solicit the pilot’s concurrence concerning a turn or heading before issuing them in a clearance.

I need to reevaluate my thought process on this and you can assign the runway for departure in the clearance.

Thanks guys.

I honestly don't believe I'll ever run in to this to use it this way but it's good to know what's possible.

Obtaining/soliciting pilot’s concurrence is the important part. The pilot picks the runway for themselves and it’s up to you to give them a clearance/release off of that runway. If someone calls up and wants Runway 4 for departure and you assign them Runway 22 I’d say that’s breaking the rules

Back
Top Bottom