Kobe Crash and FAA Being Sued

I’m sure there was an element of “Get There Itis”. When you’re transporting a celebrity and his family somewhere it’s obviously vitally important to get them where they need to be on time, and even more difficult and intimidating to tell them “Due to weather we cannot fly today”. I’ll have to go back and listen to the tapes and re read the suit to see if they have a valid claim. If I had to guess the FAA will settle in court if the controllers didn’t follow the 7110.65 to a T.
If you don’t have the balls to tell a client “no go,” you’re in the wrong business. We had to do it regularly with clients wanting to fly into ASE or TEX when I worked in business aviation. Mother Nature doesn’t accept the AMEX Black card. What’s Kobe going to do? Complain to the company? They’d apologize and give him a free flight next time or whatever. They’d rather have that on their reputation than a crash & death of one of the most high profile athletes of our generation.

If you don’t have the balls to tell a client “no go,” you’re in the wrong business. We had to do it regularly with clients wanting to fly into ASE or TEX when I worked in business aviation. Mother Nature doesn’t accept the AMEX Black card. What’s Kobe going to do? Complain to the company? They’d apologize and give him a free flight next time or whatever. They’d rather have that on their reputation than a crash & death of one of the most high profile athletes of our generation.
Kobe flew with that company for where I believe. I’m sure he would have accepted it.

Hmmm... Aspen and not saying no, wonder where I've heard that before... oh wait;

-------The charter customer's communications both before and during the flight, stressing the importance of landing at ASE, most likely heightened the pressure on the flight crew. According to the charter custome'ís business assistant, his employer became irate when he was informed about the possible diversion to an alternate airport. The business assistant also stated that he was told to call Avjet and emphasize that the airplane was not going to be redirected. The Avjet charter department scheduler indicated that the captain felt that it was important to land at ASE because of the substantial amount of money that the customer spent for a dinner party.

now you're rich and dead because your pilot wouldn't/couldn't say no.

Last edited:
Hmmm... Aspen and not saying no, wonder where I've heard that before... oh wait;

-------The charter customer's communications both before and during the flight, stressing the importance of landing at ASE, most likely heightened the pressure on the flight crew. According to the charter custome'ís business assistant, his employer became irate when he was informed about the possible diversion to an alternate airport. The business assistant also stated that he was told to call Avjet and emphasize that the airplane was not going to be redirected. The Avjet charter department scheduler indicated that the captain felt that it was important to land at ASE because of the substantial amount of money that the customer spent for a dinner party.

now you're rich and dead because your pilot wouldn't/couldn't say no.
Poor guy’s expensive dinner went to waste!

we’d have clients call us on the ground at ASE, berating us because “your pilots are pussies. There are planes taking off right now, but they won’t fly!” Well, Part 91vs Part 135, buddy. Buy your own plane and you’d be able to leave ASE too!

Back
Top Bottom