Medical clearance timeline

Joshua

Lurker
I received my TOL August 2015. I was deployed so I accepted the TOL but had to push off hiring processing until I returned August 2016. Picked back up in August 2016 and had everything completed by September 16th. Apparently I'm still waiting to be cleared by medical, but everything else is good to go including clearance. Any idea how long it will be until I get cleared by medical and then from that point how long until I get an academy class date? No known medical issues that will hold me up, I pass all my flight physicals in the military. I'm an ATC in the military as well, but no CTO yet and less than 52 consecutive weeks as an ATC. FAA Selected for En Route.

Expect to wait awhile. My medical clearance took just under 6 months with no issues (western pacific region is severely backed up ) .

Expect to wait awhile. My medical clearance took just under 6 months with no issues (western pacific region is severely backed up ) .
Wow six months! Okay, thanks for the quick response. Just trying to gauge how long I'll be waiting before I can roll over to getting a final offer and class date. And I'm hearing the chances of getting offered to switch from en route to terminal is pretty common right now due to the backlog for en route.

I can confirm 4-6 months for those in the Western region. It appears they have only one flight surgeon to clear folks. I have been waiting over 4 months for medical. Everything else already cleared. I am certain my drug test has expired so I will have to complete that again when medical finally clears. A waste of resources IMO.

That's crazy. I'm in the eastern region and guess I'll just anticipate a year before I even get to the academy.

I don't think the Eastern region is too backed up. Western Pacific is the worst, and then I believe Southeast. I figure they have to be running out of new medicals being completed though (2015 bid should have most/if not all people doing clearances I would think). So, I think medical wait times will continue decreasing, until this 2016 OTS bid & prior experience bid start getting thrown into the pipeline. Luckily you will be ahead of all that.

Remember, medical does a lot more than just new hire medicals too. They've got a lot of stuff to do with recurrent medical flags, waivers, you name it. They stay busy year round, and new hire medicals are just one more thing they have to worry about.

Remember, medical does a lot more than just new hire medicals too. They've got a lot of stuff to do with recurrent medical flags, waivers, you name it. They stay busy year round, and new hire medicals are just one more thing they have to worry about.

True, but the flight surgeon's other duties will remain relatively consistent throughout the year. New hire medicals are generally done in big batches - thus creating a backlog which they can slowly chip away at. I think they are probably at the apex of the backlog, and it is decreasing now, however, in 2-3 months they will once again get a mass influx of medicals, thus delaying it even more.

Their day-to-day medical duties are more of a concern (keeping CPC and pilot medicals current so they can continue to operate).

Back
Top Bottom