Medical Purgatory Advice

Sanibel

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on whether I should reach out to anyone else within the FAA, and how to go about doing so.
To keep it brief, I've been in the hiring process for few years, have had conditional security clearance for between 1.5-2 years, and as of this month, I haven't had an update on the status of my medical clearance in a full year.
Early last year, I was given instructions to seek an assessment for a condition I reported having as a teenager and had 30 days to make and fulfill an appointment with a pre-approved neuropsychologist specializing in aviation. Over $5,000 out of pocket later, I completed two appointments with this doctor who determined that I was clear from any conditions that would inhibit my ability to perform ATC duties. All of this paperwork that I submitted has been pending review from the flight surgeon for over one year.
I understand that they are severely understaffed, and I've politely stated that I recognize and can appreciate that when following up with my medical contact every few months when I ask for an update, but I've got nothing in response other than acknowledgement that everything they've requested has been received and that I'm still pending flight surgeon review.
I wanted to seek some advice here as I figured there may be some applicants in similar positions or the possibility of an alternate contact for better information. While I've seen a few people in somewhat similar situations that are usually stuck in this position after getting Tier 2'd, but to my knowledge I've had no issue with my MMPI-2.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on whether I should reach out to anyone else within the FAA, and how to go about doing so.
To keep it brief, I've been in the hiring process for few years, have had conditional security clearance for between 1.5-2 years, and as of this month, I haven't had an update on the status of my medical clearance in a full year.
Early last year, I was given instructions to seek an assessment for a condition I reported having as a teenager and had 30 days to make and fulfill an appointment with a pre-approved neuropsychologist specializing in aviation. Over $5,000 out of pocket later, I completed two appointments with this doctor who determined that I was clear from any conditions that would inhibit my ability to perform ATC duties. All of this paperwork that I submitted has been pending review from the flight surgeon for over one year.
I understand that they are severely understaffed, and I've politely stated that I recognize and can appreciate that when following up with my medical contact every few months when I ask for an update, but I've got nothing in response other than acknowledgement that everything they've requested has been received and that I'm still pending flight surgeon review.
I wanted to seek some advice here as I figured there may be some applicants in similar positions or the possibility of an alternate contact for better information. While I've seen a few people in somewhat similar situations that are usually stuck in this position after getting Tier 2'd, but to my knowledge I've had no issue with my MMPI-2.

Thanks in advance.
I've been blessed with medical purgatory and now tier 2 purgatory. They didn't inform me of my tier 2 purgatory until after I was just leaving medical purgatory. I don't know if it worked but honestly I got tired of hearing the same thing and I took the "not leaving you alone until I get an answer" approach and once I started doing that, my medical was cleared within a month.

Good luck and I hope you don't get the same fate as I.

I was in a similar position. I had submitted paperwork in August of 2018 and waited. Come January 2019 I reached out to both of my state's Senators and explained my situation. I said I didn't want any influence on the Flight Surgeon's decision, just to have my files looked at. They contacted the Flight Surgeon and my paperwork was promptly looked at after the shutdown ended. I had my clearance within a month. I would suggest doing the same. Senators have people who do inquiries like this all the time.

DM if you have specific questions.

I was in a similar position. I had submitted paperwork in August of 2018 and waited. Come January 2019 I reached out to both of my state's Senators and explained my situation. I said I didn't want any influence on the Flight Surgeon's decision, just to have my files looked at. They contacted the Flight Surgeon and my paperwork was promptly looked at after the shutdown ended. I had my clearance within a month. I would suggest doing the same. Senators have people who do inquiries like this all the time.

DM if you have specific questions.
Or House Rep. This is really the only thing you can do besides calling HR and asking for a supervisor.

Back
Top Bottom