MMPI-2 Tier 2 Process

Tomorrow is the big evaluation day, then I enter the same holding pattern so many of you are in.

I'll be sure to remember what I can. All I was told is in the morning taking the MMPI and some other tests, break for lunch and then the afternoon will be spent reviewing my entire packet. (Military records, court records, etc).

My completed psychiatric evaluation was shipped off today. Everything was normal and he wrote I was recommended for training. My eval wasn't for tier 2 MMPI, it was for a previous anxiety diagnosis.

How would I be able to tell if my regional flight surgeon is the one who'll be saying either yea or nay (as opposed to the higher level one)?

Last edited:
My completed psychiatric evaluation was shipped off today. Everything was normal and he wrote I was recommended for training. My eval wasn't for tier 2 MMPI, it was for a previous anxiety diagnosis.

How would I be able to tell if my regional flight surgeon is the one who'll be saying either yea or nay (as opposed to the higher level one)?

Ummmm I would contact your medical POC since you weren't tier 2 due to MMPI.

They still may have sent the information to D.C. though as that's where the psychologists are located. Providers can make recommendations, but the FAA psychs can interpret it and still DQ though. I'm sure that's not the norm for things, but I would imagine it has happened before.

Email your medical POC.

Was Hope your POC for this eval? If she is involved, I believe your stuff will get sent back to DC

Update from my evaluation. Something I found interesting was how few psychologists are actually allowed to administer the tier 2 examination. My examiner explained that forensic psychologists are used. They specialize in working with individuals who work in high pressure jobs where life/death is apart of their daily responsibility. I.e, making sure the dots on your radar don't touch, doctors who have had issues at work, police officers who have killed somone in the line of duty, and ensuring they're mentally fit to perform their duties as well as not be a threat in the future.

Before taking the examination the doctor came in and explained why I was there. He explained that I didn't actually flag on the MMPI-2 due to defensive answering or trying to appear better. He said because I answered the questions honestly that my substance abuse and criminal inventories were higher than what they'd like to see. Which if you've been following me here, I have a DUI from when I was 17 and multiple speeding tickets/1 car accident all within about 18 months of each other. Since then I've honorably served in the military, put myself through college, became a federal employee, etc. Now at 28, it's clear that me being a teenager and making terrible mistakes isn't indicative of the individual I am today. He explained that if the FAA was going to deny me that they would have but because of me being honest/transparent especially on the MMPI that they see me as someone that needs to be considered.

I got to my appointment early in the morning and took four different tests. All of which were personality inventory exams of some sort. Roughly 1000-1200 questions total I believe. I do recall the specific tests I took, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to put them on here so I won't be doing that. Sorry, folks. I will say this though, they're not tests you can study for. They also will be able to tell if you're lying on the tests compared to your in person interview, be honest. Additionally, they compare your MMPI tests and will ask you about any differences in answers. I had two questions I changed that he asked me about. I explained why I flip flopped on them and that I could have gone either way.

During the one on one interview we talked about basically everything from my packet for the most part. He was mostly interested in my alcohol usage, parents, siblings, dating life and professional life. I explained my personal history to him, the events leading up to, during and after the when I got in trouble.

After a while of talking he came to the same conclusion that RDC and others have. That I made mistakes, corrected them and have been adamently working to be a successful professional in the Aviation industry/federal government. He said he didn't see someone who would be a risk and that I was suitable to be hired.

He stated that his report would be finalized and submitted before the Christmas holiday season. So I assume it will take him a few weeks.

Was Hope your POC for this eval? If she is involved, I believe your stuff will get sent back to DC

Na, my POC is an analyst in Atlanta, same one from my TOL.

Feeling like a nuisance stops me from emailing her unless she's emailed me. I'm not sure what I'd ask her in the email... "is my stuff being handled by FS in D.C.?"

Na, my POC is an analyst in Atlanta, same one from my TOL.

Feeling like a nuisance stops me from emailing her unless she's emailed me. I'm not sure what I'd ask her in the email... "is my stuff being handled by FS in D.C.?"
Yeah it seems your situation will be handled differently then. I don't think you will be able to guesstimate your process through ours. I hope its quick though. Good luck.

Yeah it seems your situation will be handled differently then. I don't think you will be able to guesstimate your process through ours. I hope its quick though. Good luck.

Thanks.

I'm anticipating they're going to want me to be tested for ADHD next because my working memory index was basically the same as a 6 year old's, but in my defense, I'm very bad at arithmetic. That's worst case scenario, and I'm hoping they don't ask me to do more testing cuz I've already spent $2100 I didn't have to begin with on all this stuff

Last edited:
Still no updates available when I asked. My evaluation was in June. Anybody else wait this long? My packet was received in September.

Back
Top Bottom