NCEPT debate thread

I mean.... Go back to picking states.

Problem solved.

I don't think that actually solves anything. I remember how everyone was still trying to game the states. Very rarely was it purely putting down two states you would like to live in. It was always...which states do you think are going to pick up the most? Well, everyone and their brother wants Florida but Florida has a lot of facilities. Vermont only has 2 facilities but they're hiring...anyone know how many people put in for Vermont last time?

My personal opinion...OKC should get leftovers. The people getting hired today are the same people getting hired years ago: they just want in. Take what's left, put in your time, prove that you're actually valuable by checking out and then go from there.

I don't think that actually solves anything. I remember how everyone was still trying to game the states. Very rarely was it purely putting down two states you would like to live in. It was always...which states do you think are going to pick up the most? Well, everyone and their brother wants Florida but Florida has a lot of facilities. Vermont only has 2 facilities but they're hiring...anyone know how many people put in for Vermont last time?

My personal opinion...OKC should get leftovers. The people getting hired today are the same people getting hired years ago: they just want in. Take what's left, put in your time, prove that you're actually valuable by checking out and then go from there.

But again, that solves nothing either.

It's so challenging to transfer via NCEPT and why should a facility spend 2 years training someone who is just going try to ERR out as soon as they certify. Back to square 1.

Vermont only has 2 facilities but they're hiring...
Excuse me, Vermont only has one facility, thank you very much! And it's closed from midnight until 0530. And it's the only towered airport in the state, no contract towers at all. Wouldn't surprise me if it's always been that way.

But again, that solves nothing either.

It's so challenging to transfer via NCEPT and why should a facility spend 2 years training someone who is just going try to ERR out as soon as they certify. Back to square 1.

First...no trainee should ever let it be known that they want to transfer out even at places where it's so obvious that everyone wants to transfer out.

Second...no one should honestly expect anyone to make a long term commitment to a place they don't want to be at. You're there for the same reason that they are: you wanted the job.

First...no trainee should ever let it be known that they want to transfer out even at places where it's so obvious that everyone wants to transfer out.

Second...no one should honestly expect anyone to make a long term commitment to a place they don't want to be at. You're there for the same reason that they are: you wanted the job.

Why should they lie or just hide the truth? Training facilities are training facilities and most of the people at them know as much, it's not a negative thing. People have career goals, talking about them isn't wrong. If you want to stay somewhere that is great, if you want to transfer out that's great too. Don't disparage your current facility or be a prick about it, but talking about where you want to end up isn't wrong imo

Why should they lie or just hide the truth? Training facilities are training facilities and most of the people at them know as much, it's not a negative thing. People have career goals, talking about them isn't wrong. If you want to stay somewhere that is great, if you want to transfer out that's great too. Don't disparage your current facility or be a prick about it, but talking about where you want to end up isn't wrong imo

I feel like checking out should be the only goal you have while training. None of your other goals are going to happen unless checking out happens. I was at Memphis Center. No one likes living in Memphis. Every now and then a trainee would say that they hate it. Hey, welcome to the club but I gave them all the same advice: keep it to yourself and then put your paperwork in after you check out.

I feel like checking out should be the only goal you have while training. None of your other goals are going to happen unless checking out happens. I was at Memphis Center. No one likes living in Memphis. Every now and then a trainee would say that they hate it. Hey, welcome to the club but I gave them all the same advice: keep it to yourself and then put your paperwork in after you check out.
I guess it might be different at a Center vs a lower level tower with a near 100% training success rate and sub 1 year avg training time. And I agree it's one thing to talk negatively about your current facility and how you can't wait to get out or something like that. I just think you can be 100% grateful for everything and everyone, but still have further goals and ambitions.

I guess it might be different at a Center vs a lower level tower with a near 100% training success rate and sub 1 year avg training time. And I agree it's one thing to talk negatively about your current facility and how you can't wait to get out or something like that. I just think you can be 100% grateful for everything and everyone, but still have further goals and ambitions.

Lower level tower near 8 month check out, less on the success rate, still got shit from everyone for dropping papers. End of the day I'm taking care of my family, everyone else can go screw themselves.

Lower level tower near 8 month check out, less on the success rate, still got shit from everyone for dropping papers. End of the day I'm taking care of my family, everyone else can go screw themselves.
And I get why people would talk shit about it, I just wouldn't feel bad or think it's inherently wrong to occasionally talk about where you want to go next. I just know they've either had chances to leave already or will have the same chance as me to leave, so I don't feel bad for them or think I owe them anything. Thankfully most everyone at my facility is forward thinking enough and doesn't have the mindset of wallowing somewhere you don't want to be because "that's what you should do".

But therein is another problem. It's a very similar argument to the "don't buy a house until CPC." Although this is not as much as an issue as in years past (at least as they the facilities I have been to), I still feel like it brings a lot of division. Home life is home life, and work is work.

For someone to delay your training or treat you poorly because of you buying a house is asinine. It's none of their business.

Last edited:
But therein is another problem. It's a very similar argument to the "don't buy a house until CPC. Although this is not as much as an issue as in years past (at least as they the facilities I have been to), I still feel like it brings a lot of division. Home life is home life, and work is work.

For someone to delay your training or treat you poorly because of you buying a house is asinine. It's none of their business.

I don't think they should be treated poorly but I don't think buying a house as soon as you show up to a new facility is the wisest move. Especially if the success rate isn't phenomenal

I don't think they should be treated poorly but I don't think buying a house as soon as you show up to a new facility is the wisest move. Especially if the success rate isn't phenomenal

My argument isn't whether it's a wise move or not. I agree with you that it may not be.

My argument is that certain people make other people's personal business their own and hold it against said trainee. Who cares? If a trainee want to buy a house the minute they transfer, so be it.

I just know of other people that take it as such a personal attack. "You bought a house, you are so cocky." "Oh look at Joe Smo, thinking he's going to certify here, we'll show him." Etc......

EDITED for all sorts of grammatical errors. Lol

Last edited:
I personally feel it's a terrible idea to buy a house if you're a trainee. I still think it's a terrible idea to get to your facility and immediately talk about how you want to go somewhere else before you check out.

However, I won't hold that against anyone. I think a lot of people feel the same way but also won't hold it against someone. There are people who will. At the end of the day, I can't see a reason why advertising either would help you but I can see reasons why it can hurt you.

Academy grads buying houses is stupid. Transfers I can see either way. If you're jumping up a bunch of levels then maybe not the best idea. If you're transferring to similar facilities then go for it. I transferred center to center and didn't think twice about buying. I checked out 2 months after transfer. It's just not a big deal but had I gone to the TRACON which is where looked like was the only way home for a long time then I guarantee you I would have rented.

My argument isn't weather is a wise move or not. I agree with you that it may not be.

My argument is that certain people make other people's personal business their own and hold it against said trainee. Who cares? If a trainee want to buy a house the minute they transfer, so be it.

I just know of other people take it as such a personal attack. "You bought a house, you are so cocky." "Oh look at Joe Smo, thinking he's going to certify here, we'll show him." Etc......

Ya I've never understood that either. What I do outside the gates of the facility with my paycheck is none of your damn business. And especially in some places you can damn near buy for what renting an apartment costs the only real downside is if you wash out, and even then...... Not anyone's business or concern. Maybe you just own a new rental property now.

The easiest way to fix NCEPT is to have a time limit on being ineligible for transfer. If your facility is below cat 2, then after x many years (either total or as cpc) you should be allowed to err. This way at least there’s a light at the end of the tunnel and FAA gets a chance to throw some bodies your way.

I personally feel it's a terrible idea to buy a house if you're a trainee. I still think it's a terrible idea to get to your facility and immediately talk about how you want to go somewhere else before you check out.

However, I won't hold that against anyone. I think a lot of people feel the same way but also won't hold it against someone. There are people who will. At the end of the day, I can't see a reason why advertising either would help you but I can see reasons why it can hurt you.

Academy grads buying houses is stupid. Transfers I can see either way. If you're jumping up a bunch of levels then maybe not the best idea. If you're transferring to similar facilities then go for it. I transferred center to center and didn't think twice about buying. I checked out 2 months after transfer. It's just not a big deal but had I gone to the TRACON which is where looked like was the only way home for a long time then I guarantee you I would have rented.
I'll address this part. From my perspective, I like hearing the experiences of older controllers who have been to:
1) other types of facilities
2) higher level facilities
They can tell me the positives and negatives of each situation. Since I've been here (10 months) three people have left, and if I was scared to talk to them I would have lost valuable perspective that can help aid my decision as to what I do next for my career. Each decision and move is critical and it takes a long time to move on from it if it ends up being one that doesn't fit with you.

Again, I can see how people might be rubbed the wrong way somewhere where certifying isn't historically a given, but at a lot of places there are 95%+ success rates and moving on/certifying is likely.

Back
Top Bottom