NDJH - Developmental Wages I Team Daniels-Haltom

Soooo they said they can’t talk about what they’d do in negotiations because they want the element of surprise or whatever but then they release this, but absolutely nothing on what they’d do for the rest of us who have been paying dues our whole careers. So when a BUE enters the door, they aren’t even in the union yet, but we’re talking about the plan to get them more money.

Why stop there why not just give them cpc pay? I’m sure the faa will be all for just knocking off the AG pay level. Clueless clowns

Nick must have found an academy grad he likes

Soooo they said they can’t talk about what they’d do in negotiations because they want the element of surprise or whatever but then they release this, but absolutely nothing on what they’d do for the rest of us who have been paying dues our whole careers. So when a BUE enters the door, they aren’t even in the union yet, but we’re talking about the plan to get them more money.

Why stop there why not just give them cpc pay? I’m sure the faa will be all for just knocking off the AG pay level. Clueless clowns

They do get cpc pay in nantucket.

AG pay is a major problem. It's not a wage worth working for in many cases. Almost 2 years for a pay raise, and your AG pay equals your rent. WTF message are we sending potential new hires?

I am not team lil yatchy and heavy weight champion at all but I’m glad they are giving the AGs some recognition. While I understand AG pay might have been developed because trainees will be there for a short period of time that’s simply not the case. Not 100% sure about smaller towers, but at up/downs and mid level towers trainees are sometimes stuck on AG pay for 6 months and up. Cost of living has skyrocketed. If a CPC is struggling imagine what the AGs are doing. Before as an AG you had something to look forward to, now that’s not the case.

This needs to happen, would be huge for these members

AG Pay is not a living wage in many of the places where ARTCC's are located, this is necessary if the FAA wants any hope of attracting quality candidates in the future.

Nobody wants to sign up to potentially get sent to ZOA to make $55k a year, and be told to just suck it up and drive over an hour each way from Stockton while you wait 3 years for a salary that still isnt enough to buy a house anywhere remotely near the facility.

The truth is there is alot about this career field that is not appealing to todays generation of 20-25 year olds. 0 Control of where you get sent, potential to be stuck making under 6 figures, which is poor in todays America, long hours, 0 chance of work from home, 0 hope of transferring. Take a look at the trainees you're getting from the Academy these days and see the results. The best and brightest dont want to do this job, and its showing.

AG Pay is not a living wage in many of the places where ARTCC's are located, this is necessary if the FAA wants any hope of attracting quality candidates in the future.

Nobody wants to sign up to potentially get sent to ZOA to make $55k a year, and be told to just suck it up and drive over an hour each way from Stockton while you wait 3 years for a salary that still isnt enough to buy a house anywhere remotely near the facility.

The truth is there is alot about this career field that is not appealing to todays generation of 20-25 year olds. 0 Control of where you get sent, potential to be stuck making under 6 figures, which is poor in todays America, long hours, 0 chance of work from home, 0 hope of transferring. Take a look at the trainees you're getting from the Academy these days and see the results. The best and brightest dont want to do this job, and its showing.
This is a good take, and a reason there has been a tsunami of trainee resignations post-COVID. It’d be interesting to the see the numbers, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if 10-15% of all incoming trainees now quit due to reasons outside of training. AG pay is a big factor in that. All the advertising and marketing for the job highlights “six figure salaries” but then people end up get stuck making below the living wage for months, sometimes years, and the job quickly loses appeal. I think there still needs to be some type of system in place to incentivize people to want to check out as quickly as possible, but a more simplified and workable system needs to be in place. The current 5 step AG to CPC progression is flawed and antiquated.

I am not team lil yatchy and heavy weight champion at all but I’m glad they are giving the AGs some recognition. While I understand AG pay might have been developed because trainees will be there for a short period of time that’s simply not the case. Not 100% sure about smaller towers, but at up/downs and mid level towers trainees are sometimes stuck on AG pay for 6 months and up. Cost of living has skyrocketed. If a CPC is struggling imagine what the AGs are doing. Before as an AG you had something to look forward to, now that’s not the case.
Six months would've been nice. Almost two years at some vfr towers

The truth is there is alot about this career field that is not appealing to today’s generation of 20-25 year olds. 0 Control of where you get sent, potential to be stuck making under 6 figures, which is poor in today’s America, long hours, 0 chance of work from home, 0 hope of transferring. Take a look at the trainees you're getting from the Academy these days and see the results. The best and brightest dont want to do this job, and it’s showing.

This is a good take, and a reason there has been a tsunami of trainee resignations post-COVID. It’d be interesting to the see the numbers, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if 10-15% of all incoming trainees now quit due to reasons outside of training. AG pay is a big factor in that. All the advertising and marketing for the job highlights “six figure salaries” but then people end up get stuck making below the living wage for months, sometimes years, and the job quickly loses appeal. I think there still needs to be some type of system in place to incentivize people to want to check out as quickly as possible, but a more simplified and workable system needs to be in place. The current 5 step AG to CPC progression is flawed and antiquated.
Well thank god they are extending the contract!

Why do trainees make any less at all. Do other agencies pay people less during training?
Yes.
I've got family that is at the top of the GS scale in another agency. He applied to the FBI for a career change. There was no way for him to get anything higher than their AG equivalent going into training.

I would guess because other agencies don’t have a pass or fail training program maybe
Sure they do.

The premise behind the current system is something that is definitely needed: an incentive for training. If everyone got CPC pay as soon as they walked in the door, why would anybody want to check out quickly? As a trainee, you get to bid developmental schedules, you aren’t forced to work OT (or at least less often than CPCs), and it’s easier to get spot leave approved. Without some type of incentive, it may actually entice people to drag training out as long as possible which only hurts the workforce farther.

That being said, nobody should be graduating from the Academy and then making LESS than the national average salary, which is unlivable in many cities. The current 5-tier AG to CPC system is over complicated and flawed.

I would say just start everyone at 80% CPC base pay, and then you get the remaining 20% after checking out. So if your CPC base is $120,000, you make $96K the day you walk in the door, which is enough to make ends meet, and when you CPC, you get a $24,000 raise which is still enough of an incentive for people not to drag their feet.

Back
Top Bottom