NEST NEST Question.

whoknew92

Hey everyone, Recent Center washout here. Washed on my first Radar sector. I've heard I can 'expect' to be offered level 7's and below.

Does anyone have any idea about how to figure out which towers, could be offered? I'm curious if there is any sort of hard data I could look at to see what may come up. Also if anyone here was recently in the nest and could share their list that would be great. I really appreciate all the help.

It seems obvious but look at the staffing numbers, the lower they are the higher it will probably be on your list. It’s good they consider D certified radar washouts at the centers for level 7 and below up down now, before there was a unwritten rule that zero radar certs meant you could not even go to a level 5 up down. Most people ignored that but some regions and HR assholes would try to hold people to that. Still, expect mostly VFR tower options and level five up downs. At least they are not trying to trick you into taking a Alaska FSS job because “one day you might be able to ERR back into a controller position”. Bull f——— s—-.

I've been in your situation unfortunately 3 different times with the last two being once the NEST started. Level 7 tower only and below is what a center D2 usually gets. Not sure how you can find out early what choices you will get. But once you do have your list do your homework on each facility. Not all level 7 and below towers are created equal. You also wanna avoid going somewhere that has extremely low staffing numbers. Wish I could be more help. Good luck and stay positive. The agency is very forgiving when you show potential at high level facilities and certify at the small facilities

I would recommend a lvl 5 up/down that has decent staffing if you have that option. Just my 2 cents.

Well, I've heard I wont get any up/down options due to not having any initial Radar positions. so just level 7 towers only. Does anyone know if the letter you write with your Nest package has any bearing to as general locations?

I've been in your situation unfortunately 3 different times with the last two being once the NEST started.

Are you saying you've washed from three facilities, and they've retained you each time? I've been debating what the lowest 'training success rate' i'd like to consider is. I've heard if you wash from two facilities it's done.

Are you saying you've washed from three facilities, and they've retained you each time? I've been debating what the lowest 'training success rate' i'd like to consider is. I've heard if you wash from two facilities it's done.

If you wash twice back to back there is a high probability of termination. If anything be careful with the training success rate as well, the current data is 2010-2015 I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong. An example is my 5 tower, on paper we're 71% realistically with recent washes we are around 50%ish. So a lot can change, best bet is wait for your list and get in contact with people from that tower.

An example is my 5 tower, on paper we're 71% realistically with recent washes we are around 50%ish.

Wow, what kind of things do you see wash out the new controllers? VFR traffic, ground? any way to attempt to see the potential complexity in a tower?

It's a mix of different things and is fairly hard to nail down. Though we are super popular with Article 61s so don't be surprised if you see us.

I just went through the Nest and your info is accurate. I had one Radar at my center got a list of 7 and below Up/Downs. A bunch of others who didn't get a radar received 7 and below Tower only. D1 gets 5's and below or FSS it seems.

As far as what will be offered, that's a guessing game. If you haven't submitted your NEST Package yet, you can request an area you would like, but its hit or miss if they look at that. I got 3 facilities in the state I preferred, but someone before me got nothing in the region she wanted. You can use the Terminal Placement list for the Academy to see what Towers are at the top and the Priority Placement Tool to see the stats of said facilities. I think I was offered the number 28, 42, 74, 148, and 208th facility on the Academy list. It's pretty random which one they pick.

Also, I forget where, maybe someone else will have a link, but you can look up a facilities traffic count and type of traffic they work. That can help decide ranking list.

Aap.faa.gov, the TCIP link you can look at the traffic counts.
Just to clarify for the OP: TCIP on aap.faa.gov is the CI value that is spit out by the formula in the slate book and is what determines facility pay level.
Total ops/type of ops information is different.

S
I just went through the Nest and your info is accurate. I had one Radar at my center got a list of 7 and below Up/Downs. A bunch of others who didn't get a radar received 7 and below Tower only. D1 gets 5's and below or FSS it seems.

As far as what will be offered, that's a guessing game. If you haven't submitted your NEST Package yet, you can request an area you would like, but its hit or miss if they look at that. I got 3 facilities in the state I preferred, but someone before me got nothing in the region she wanted. You can use the Terminal Placement list for the Academy to see what Towers are at the top and the Priority Placement Tool to see the stats of said facilities. I think I was offered the number 28, 42, 74, 148, and 208th facility on the Academy list. It's pretty random which one they pick.

Also, I forget where, maybe someone else will have a link, but you can look up a facilities traffic count and type of traffic they work. That can help decide ranking list.
So your nest package only had a total of 7 options? I was under the impression, more are generally offered. Especially going by the graphic above showing all eligible facilities would be offered that fit the staffing criteria, and level id be eligible to go to.

S

So your nest package only had a total of 7 options? I was under the impression, more are generally offered. Especially going by the graphic above showing all eligible facilities would be offered that fit the staffing criteria, and level id be eligible to go to.

Supposedly they're cracking down on that in an effort to prevent abusing the NEST through NCEPT.

I was a withdraw, so only 5 are offered, I knew my risk, but had great recommendations and support from both Union members and management.

For a normal training failure they say you'll be offered "all" facilities below the national staffing level, but it seems they just offer as many as there are people in the NEST that session. I know 2 washouts that got a list of 37 facilities and another wash in the next nest that only had 17 facilities.

But washouts do get bigger lists than withdraws. I completely understand the reasoning as well.

Back
Top Bottom