New York Times names Controller involved with AUS FedEx/Southwest Incident

If this guy is as dangerous and incompetent as what I have read, why wouldn't you hang him out to dry? Sure we are a small workforce and in solidarity blah blah blah but if I see someone being routinely dangerous and taking unnecessary risks I would definitely say something. What if the controllers he has worked with have filed dozens of ATSAP's outlining his dangerous tactics only to be stonewalled or not listened too? Is killing people worth protecting your fellow controller?

If those airplanes had collided and there was a paper trail of misconduct and incompetence by this controller then many, many people that turned a blind eye should be held accountable. I think this is the "systemic" issue that needs to be focused on. The swiss cheese model only goes so far before the holes line up, and protecting dangerous controllers just adds another hole.

What if the controllers he has worked with have filed dozens of ATSAP's outlining his dangerous tactics only to be stonewalled or not listened too? Is killing people worth protecting your fellow controller?
That's a failure of management then. What are you hoping to gain from blasting someone's name out into the world other than bad things happening to the person.

That's a failure of management then. What are you hoping to gain from blasting someone's name out into the world other than bad things happening to the person.
If the claims you responded to ring true, would it not be more effective to whistleblow that to the reporter as well as the sups names who turned the blind eye? Seems like that would be more effective than putting the controller themselves on blast. The blame is no longer explicitly on the controller.

At the end of the day, you can’t fix a shitty controller so the burden no longer falls on the controller themselves. It’s then placed on the enablers. If their coworkers find them to be such a danger to the flying public (it’s evident they are), and management one order of magnitude higher refuses to address it, run that thing up as high as you have to in order to get the situation dealt with or investigated.

I wouldn’t flame the controller to the public because ignorance is bliss and you don’t know what you don’t know (obviously they don’t know ATC), but if I’ve filed “dozens” of ATSAPs and management refuses to address it, they are responsible and complicit in anything that happens. Publicly shame them. Tar and feathers. Parade them down Main Street.

Willful negligence

Embarrassed Shame GIF

You answered your own question. This was likely a collective fat juicy middle finger to the guy for being an S-tier POS (not to mention a reckless controller). In my 20+ year career I've seen a lot of subpar controllers and difficult personalities, but there is maybe a grand total of one person who I would've outed like this if given the chance, and it was because he was a legendary petty turd who legitimately enjoyed making life difficult for others.

It's like the schoolyard bully that never changes or realizes how shitty they are until they themselves finally get punched in the face.

emily steele clearly can't be trusted. this is not a 'win' for controllers. we're taking so many L's in this career field and some of you are cheering because it's not you...SAD!

do people need to be held accountable? yeah. But naming ppl and cheering it on because you think it's justified in this case sets a bad precedent for this career field.

when will some of you wake up and realize we need some W's in this career?

If the claims you responded to ring true, would it not be more effective to whistleblow that to the reporter as well as the sups names who turned the blind eye? Seems like that would be more effective than putting the controller themselves on blast. The blame is no longer explicitly on the controller.

At the end of the day, you can’t fix a shitty controller so the burden no longer falls on the controller themselves. It’s then placed on the enablers. If their coworkers find them to be such a danger to the flying public (it’s evident they are), and management one order of magnitude higher refuses to address it, run that thing up as high as you have to in order to get the situation dealt with or investigated.

I wouldn’t flame the controller to the public because ignorance is bliss and you don’t know what you don’t know (obviously they don’t know ATC), but if I’ve filed “dozens” of ATSAPs and management refuses to address it, they are responsible and complicit in anything that happens. Publicly shame them. Tar and feathers. Parade them down Main Street.

Willful negligence

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Better hope no one thinks that about you and “whistle blows” to the press with your name

Better hope no one thinks that about you and “whistle blows” to the press with your name
I’m not a supe nor am I a danger to the flying public nor am I complicit in the failure and danger of a controller I’m responsible for. That’s irrefutable.

This is a shitty stance to take. People who are complicit in these acts and actively disregard and turn a blind eye to what seems to be a large stack of complaints against a controller, those people deserve to be ousted. Again, it’s willful negligence and is not only creating a horrible work environment but also further danger of the public and driving divide between the workforce and management.

The controller themselves might be too far gone but the people responsible for said controller SHOULD be held accountable.

Talking to reporters anonymously is legal. Doxxing people is legal. I agree it sucks that this can happen but I don't see a way to prevent it. Sure you can tell everyone not to talk to reporters but good luck with that. All it takes is 1 and you're going to find 1 person furious enough about events like the AUS incident that they'll spill all the beans they have and then some.

Modern day journalism is a scary place. These people aren't paid well, are absolutely ravenous for sensationalist stories and have zero ethics about how they get them. Every single one is also extremely biased in one direction or another.

I'm not naive enough to think being named in the paper isn't possible. And I'm also not naive enough to think our institutions work as neutral independent organizations dedicated to the improvement of mankind. PR and consulting exist for a reason. Lobbyists exist for a reason. The PAC exists for a reason. Those reasons may suck, but pretending that some media article or some point-the-finger C-SPAN speech is the key to everything is just wrongheaded.

And the supes wonder why I refuse to be in charge of certain people. Things like AUS are gonna happen more and more.
They already do, we just happened to hear about this one. There was a worse one (imho) at Austin a few weeks ago that was sent to me by two different people. Remember the Birmingham ODO incident?

This is happening weekly ALL OVER the NAS , not just AUS. Why do you think they suddenly made OJTI 20%, just for the spirit of RAZE WEN?

Spoony90 you refusing to be in charge of certain people is a good start and more should follow this lead. Not to refuse your duties, but to force those in charge to actually do their job and also deal w the real world consequences of their (in)actions.

Another would be refusing (insofar as you arent ordered, and if you are ordered you can make the training form so that they will de facto never have you train again anyway) to perform OJTI and therefore participate in the system which refuses to eliminate dangerous people. In this AUS case its because woke SJW issues, in other cases its because its a "nice guy" or a "hot girl" (IE any female for the sad old boomers), nepotism, systemic laziness in the OJTI process itself, etc. The cheap whores who would sell their souls for 20% are some sad mofos

This is happening weekly ALL OVER the NAS , not just AUS. Why do you think they suddenly made OJTI 20%, just for the spirit of RAZE WEN?

Spoony90 you refusing to be in charge of certain people is a good start and more should follow this lead. Not to refuse your duties, but to force those in charge to actually do their job and also deal w the real world consequences of their (in)actions.

Another would be refusing (insofar as you arent ordered, and if you are ordered you can make the training form so that they will de facto never have you train again anyway) to perform OJTI and therefore participate in the system which refuses to eliminate dangerous people. In this AUS case its because woke SJW issues, in other cases its because its a "nice guy" or a "hot girl" (IE any female for the sad old boomers), nepotism, systemic laziness in the OJTI process itself, etc. The cheap whores who would sell their souls for 20% are some sad mofos
Yup I don’t refuse to do my job but I put it on a recorded line that I’m not comfortable or willing to do certain things. And if something happens, it’s recorded. We all know people are getting certified that shouldn’t. I’m very vocal about it at work. So when (not if) something happens, everyone knows where I stand. It’s all managements fault

A lot of you sure like the government and NATCA to be transparent but the moment your anonymity is gone you cry like babies.

Don't nearly kill people then I might give a shit about this dude.

A lot of you sure like the government and NATCA to be transparent but the moment your anonymity is gone you cry like babies.

Don't nearly kill people then I might give a shit about this dude.
Oh in this instance I 100% support the guy getting named and shamed. They actually didn't go far enough in the article as I'm 100% convinced Mr. EEO-hardship rockstar was actively trying to cause a crash and place corpses on a runway.

Problem is the media will also name and shame people when they aren't responsible because they don't know whose fault anything is. But yeah I really hope no one in this job has even the slightest expectation of anonymity because you're going to be sorely disappointed if you find yourself in the middle of something significant.

People had the LAS controller's name the same day that shitshow happened but at least she had the good sense to immediately go dark on all social media.

Back
Top Bottom