Past Medications and Ticket for Marijuana

crodgers2491

Lurker
I took anti-anxiety medication from 2010-2013, but stopped usage when another physician determined I was misdiagnosed. I also received a ticket in CA for possession of under 1oz. of marijuana in 2012 (this type of charge has since been decriminalized in CA).

Does anyone know what the chances are that either of these situations would be a disqualifier on my background check and if they should be stated on my pre-employment interview worksheet?

State them both for sure as they are both something that can and most likely will be found out in the process. Leaving them out could end your career before it starts! I can’t speak to whether they will completely disqualify you but the marijuana one sounds bad.

I would imagine your bigger issue will be getting a medical clearance. Better get all the paperwork/documentation now because you are going to need it.

What GBP said. Disclose it on security/Medical and get ready for a potential fight to get a medical clearance. Hopefully the "misdiagnosis" will save you. As far as the weed is concerned, they give people with DUIs medical clearances So hopefully they won't hassle you too much. Who knows though.

What GBP said. Disclose it on security/Medical and get ready for a potential fight to get a medical clearance. Hopefully the "misdiagnosis" will save you. As far as the weed is concerned, they give people with DUIs medical clearances So hopefully they won't hassle you too much. Who knows though.
Just playing devil's advocate (kind of) but there are also regions that will attempt to force current controllers into in-patient rehab for a DUI... So don't go thinking this will be no issue, as with any drug or alcohol offense.

There was a guy who got kicked out of the Air Force for doing LSD and he got in the FAA. Idk if he disclosed it or not. If he did and they still took him he’s lucky.
So just disclose it and hope they let you jump through all the hoops!

It depends on the situations around it and your age/what you've done since.

Disclose everything on security and medical as they're going to see it no matter what.

Example, I'm 28 and just did my tier 2 eval. Reason being, I was honest about my DUI at 17, speeding tickets and car accident. Since then, I've gotten my Bachelor Degree in CTI (most expensive piece of paper ever) after dropping out of high school. Also served in the military the last 5 years honorably, several letters of recommendation for flight school, which I turned down for ATC as I got my TOL beforehand. Things of that nature.

It's realistically been six plus years. So in that time, if you've cleaned up your act, stayed out of trouble and avoided substance abuse issues. Then you should be fine, but only they can say.

I disclosed that I used Marijuana a few times in college, and had an arrest on my record for being in possession of alcohol at 18 years old. I made it in without hassle, but It’s almost impossible to tell how the FAA will handle something.

what makes you think they're going to see past prescription medications no matter what?

There's no way the FAA would have the ability to access your medical history...that would be a violation of HIPAA laws. Even if you gave them permission to access your records they would probably still fuck it up. Shit, I can barely get my PIV card to work half the time.

I know a guy who's name was spelled wrong not just on his PIV but just generally in every FAA system. They had been issuing him checks and W2s with the wrong name for years. Just barely got it fixed.

Back
Top Bottom