Pre-employment interview with previous underage drinking ticket

RandyMarsh

Lurker
I’m currently in the hiring process for the 2023 bid and everything has gone relatively quickly and smoothly to this point, but I’m afraid that I may hit a snag with this pre-employment interview form. I received an email yesterday to find an AME and to complete the pre-employment interview form and one section of the form asks if I’ve ever had any drug or alcohol related events, felonies, misdemeanors, or tickets. About 5 years ago I was caught with a few beers while I was still underage and had to go to court, pay fines, and do community service which I believe (although I’m not entirely sure) expunged this event from my record. I did a background check on myself and found a couple of speeding tickets that I had gotten at one point but the underage drinking ticket was nowhere to be found. I have to imagine the background service that the FAA uses is more intricate than the service I used so I’m still concerned about the possibility of them finding it. If I were to mark yes to the pre-employment interview question, do you think the FAA will start slowing my process down or potentially revoke my TOL? Or will they likely not care and my process won’t be affected?

I was hired with an unexpunged minor in possession of alcohol. Not a big deal if you tell the truth, but also call the municipality and check local/state regulations on expungement. If it has been expunged, you’re not required to say anything about it.

I know of at least two friends who are controllers now with MIP tickets. (Minor in possession) They just didn't run fast enough away from the party. Be truthful, may have to answer questions on it but shouldn't be a big deal.

I’m currently in the hiring process for the 2023 bid and everything has gone relatively quickly and smoothly to this point, but I’m afraid that I may hit a snag with this pre-employment interview form. I received an email yesterday to find an AME and to complete the pre-employment interview form and one section of the form asks if I’ve ever had any drug or alcohol related events, felonies, misdemeanors, or tickets. About 5 years ago I was caught with a few beers while I was still underage and had to go to court, pay fines, and do community service which I believe (although I’m not entirely sure) expunged this event from my record. I did a background check on myself and found a couple of speeding tickets that I had gotten at one point but the underage drinking ticket was nowhere to be found. I have to imagine the background service that the FAA uses is more intricate than the service I used so I’m still concerned about the possibility of them finding it. If I were to mark yes to the pre-employment interview question, do you think the FAA will start slowing my process down or potentially revoke my TOL? Or will they likely not care and my process won’t be affected?
I was arrested for minor in consumption of alcohol and providing false information to an officer when I was 20 (I was in college told him my name was geofry and gave him a fake birthday).

The FAA asked me to write a paper in a "story telling format" about how much I drink now, drank back then, what my favorite types of drinks are and how the event played out. I did all of that, and at the end I added how I learned from that event and how it wouldn't happen again. They want to know you're not an alcoholic and that you learned from it and moved on. Be truthful during your hiring process.

I was arrested for minor in consumption of alcohol and providing false information to an officer when I was 20 (I was in college told him my name was geofry and gave him a fake birthday).

The FAA asked me to write a paper in a "story telling format" about how much I drink now, drank back then, what my favorite types of drinks are and how the event played out. I did all of that, and at the end I added how I learned from that event and how it wouldn't happen again. They want to know you're not an alcoholic and that you learned from it and moved on. Be truthful during your hiring process.
Can confirm the validity of this. Myself and a group of friends used to roast this person for said story. Geofry is a legend. RIP geofry.

Even if it wasn't expunged it's not a big deal as long as you're honest. I had more than 1 arrest for underage drinking combined with trespassing and breaking and entering, which I was actually still on probation for at the time I got my TOL. Told them everything, all they did was make me see a substance abuse counselor to say I didn't have a drinking problem and then wait til my probation was up and I was cleared.

The funny thing is this might come up again for you if you go to a tower where you get a SIDA badge and you have to disclose it to them too.

Even if it wasn't expunged it's not a big deal as long as you're honest. I had more than 1 arrest for underage drinking combined with trespassing and breaking and entering, which I was actually still on probation for at the time I got my TOL. Told them everything, all they did was make me see a substance abuse counselor to say I didn't have a drinking problem and then wait til my probation was up and I was cleared.

The funny thing is this might come up again for you if you go to a tower where you get a SIDA badge and you have to disclose it to them too.
Fuck, I never thought about this for those with (kind of) a record. SIDA is a whole other ball game aside of the FAA pre-employment process… It’s not that bad but still an additional pain in the ass.

Back
Top Bottom