Pay Grade Question

Correct, once you CPC it will take roughly 12-15 years of your annual % raises to get to the top of the band. How quickly you get there depends on the size of the annual raises.
Perfect. I am clear on it now. Just wanted to understand since it wasn't clear from just looking at the pay charts. Thank you all for the clarification.

I think what you were asking — basically you’ll always be assigned the lowest of the band, it’s not like HR looks at your past experience and has the leeway to give you something higher in the band like normal jobs.

And then like he said, the annual raises bump you up in little amounts. And if you’re at a level 11, for example, and transfer to an 8, if you’re cpc you’ll keep all your money that will fit in the band- you’d go to the top and lose some money (I think, don’t have he numbers in front of me).

If you were at an 11 and complete D3 status for example then washed out before you checked out and they nested you to an 8, you’d go to the d3 band at the nest facility (even though training-wise you’d be essentially an AG) and keep whatever fit in it—prob go to the top and lose a little.

If you notice, usually the top of one payband is the same as the bottom of the next so when you check out at the new facility they nest you to you move to the bottom of that new cpc payband (and you don’t get a raise).

Can be good and bad. On the one hand you don’t get a raise and have that to look forward like all the other trainees, but the whole time you’re there training you’re making way more money than if you progressed as a new hire.

Obv my examples are based on a certain scenario, if you start at lower levels and wash early, it would be different.

For the most part that’s correct. There’s a minimum raise amount for each upgrade or
transfer. You get the greater of a) bottom of the next band b) 6% (8% for moving to 11-12? Don’t remember off the top of my head).

If you’re a prior exp. hire you’ll most likely be effected by this in training. I don’t think I was ever at the bottom of any band until CPC.

For the most part that’s correct. There’s a minimum raise amount for each upgrade or
transfer. You get the greater of a) bottom of the next band b) 6% (8% for moving to 11-12? Don’t remember off the top of my head).

If you’re a prior exp. hire you’ll most likely be effected by this in training. I don’t think I was ever at the bottom of any band until CPC.
Per Slate Book - It's the greater of
a) bottom of the next band or
b) 6% if moving from a 10 or less to a 10 or less, 8% if moving from a 10 or less to an 11 or 12, 6% if moving from an 11 to a 12.

— basically you’ll always be assigned the lowest of the band, it’s not like HR looks at your past experience and has the leeway to give you something higher in the band like normal jobs.
That's what I was wondering. Everything that everyone has said though makes complete sense. Means I have to set my goals, which should be the same for everyone, to progress as fast as possible and only worry about maxing out CPC.

I think what you were asking — basically you’ll always be assigned the lowest of the band, it’s not like HR looks at your past experience and has the leeway to give you something higher in the band like normal jobs.

And then like he said, the annual raises bump you up in little amounts. And if you’re at a level 11, for example, and transfer to an 8, if you’re cpc you’ll keep all your money that will fit in the band- you’d go to the top and lose some money (I think, don’t have he numbers in front of me).

If you were at an 11 and complete D3 status for example then washed out before you checked out and they nested you to an 8, you’d go to the d3 band at the nest facility (even though training-wise you’d be essentially an AG) and keep whatever fit in it—prob go to the top and lose a little.

If you notice, usually the top of one payband is the same as the bottom of the next so when you check out at the new facility they nest you to you move to the bottom of that new cpc payband (and you don’t get a raise).

Can be good and bad. On the one hand you don’t get a raise and have that to look forward like all the other trainees, but the whole time you’re there training you’re making way more money than if you progressed as a new hire.

Obv my examples are based on a certain scenario, if you start at lower levels and wash early, it would be different.
So what happens if you're D2 at a lvl 12 and NEST to a lvl 5 facility with no D2? Do you fall wherever your lvl 12 D2 pay falls?

Per Slate Book - It's the greater of
a) bottom of the next band or
b) 6% if moving from a 10 or less to a 10 or less, 8% if moving from a 10 or less to an 11 or 12, 6% if moving from an 11 to a 12.
Also I should add this doesn't apply to all types of transfers. If you hardship or mutual swap its a bit different, you only save pay or go up to the bottom of the new band whichever is greater. And if you hardship or mutual swap down then your pay will save or go to the top of the new band but you also maintain the official pay grade of your old facility number for 2 years, kinda like if your facility gets downgraded. So for example, you can't move down from a 12 to a 10 via hardship or swap and then immediately ERR back to an 11 or 12 and get 8%.

Also I should add this doesn't apply to all types of transfers. If you hardship or mutual swap its a bit different, you only save pay or go up to the bottom of the new band whichever is greater. And if you hardship or mutual swap down then your pay will save or go to the top of the new band but you also maintain the official pay grade of your old facility number for 2 years, kinda like if your facility gets downgraded. So for example, you can't move down from a 12 to a 10 via hardship or swap and then immediately ERR back to an 11 or 12 and get 8%.

It used to be 3 years, new contract is 2 years. So go from a 12-> 10 after checking out, spend 2 years and then ERR back up and get the 8%....

Makes sense I guess. So if you go from an 11 to 12, you get either 6% or bottom of payband, whichever is greater. What do they base the 6% off of. 6% raise of your base pay at the level 11 you’re currently at?

Makes sense I guess. So if you go from an 11 to 12, you get either 6% or bottom of payband, whichever is greater. What do they base the 6% off of. 6% raise of your base pay at the level 11 you’re currently at?
6% of your current basic pay (without locality). Displayed in your eOPF. They do locality at the end. You can get a raise to your base by going lateral or down if your going to a place with higher locality.

Just to clarify, once we CPC it's a long road to the top of that pay band? Say i CPC at ZDV, i receive 124k and it's pretty much a "normal" job of raises from then on? I feel pretty dumb thinking that initial CPC was that top number on the locality map.

So a CPC base salary somewhere like Sioux Gateway (Tower level 5) is only 66k?

Just to clarify, once we CPC it's a long road to the top of that pay band? Say i CPC at ZDV, i receive 124k and it's pretty much a "normal" job of raises from then on? I feel pretty dumb thinking that initial CPC was that top number on the locality map.

So a CPC base salary somewhere like Sioux Gateway (Tower level 5) is only 66k?
Correct, you start at the bottom of the CPC band and through your annual raises, you slowly climb to the top.

What happens if you are making around $90k at a Level 7 with 22% locality and move to a level 6 with 15% locality? Will you stay at the same pay or go down ? I wasnt sure if the whole "save pay" thing applied to just base or base and locality. Thanks!!

What happens if you are making around $90k at a Level 7 with 22% locality and move to a level 6 with 15% locality? Will you stay at the same pay or go down ? I wasnt sure if the whole "save pay" thing applied to just base or base and locality. Thanks!!
Only basic pay transfers. Locality is stripped away, then added to your new basic.

So what happens if you're D2 at a lvl 12 and NEST to a lvl 5 facility with no D2? Do you fall wherever your lvl 12 D2 pay falls?

Also wondering about this, does anyone know what happens to a developmental (1st facility) d2 at a level 12 that gets nested and re assigned to a level 5 or 6?

Also wondering about this, does anyone know what happens to a developmental (1st facility) d2 at a level 12 that gets nested and re assigned to a level 5 or 6?

You’ll go to the highest developmental stage of the next facility without a pay increase. You will not receive a pay increase. Only can keep the same pay or lose pay. My buddy was D2 here, washed, and went to a 6 VFR tower, went to the top of their D3 pay band, which was about a 8k/yr pay decrease

When transferring to a higher level facility as a CPC how soon can you expect to see the 50% bump after you CPC at your new facility. I guess im just trying to see if it will come on the next applicable paycheck after certification, or if it takes a month or so and you get back pay.

You’ll go to the highest developmental stage of the next facility without a pay increase. You will not receive a pay increase. Only can keep the same pay or lose pay. My buddy was D2 here, washed, and went to a 6 VFR tower, went to the top of their D3 pay band, which was about a 8k/yr pay decrease

Wow that’s not bad, I assumed I would go to the start of the d2 pay band at the next facility, thanks for the info and relatively good news!!

Back
Top Bottom