Pay vs Inflation Calculator

22% over 3.5 years does not equal inflation at 20%. That's not how CPI, PPI, or Core Inflation is measured. It's just not.
There’s several WSJ articles, behind a paywall of course, that explain the various ways you can calculate inflation. Some models are a bit more complex, others are more practical , but they are all valid ways to define inflation. Unfortunately, the one true number is basically impossible to define, because there are different models and different definitions of what inflation is, depending on your frame of reference.

It’s like trying to answer “how many people died in world war 2?” On its face it’s a simple question, I just want a number. But when you dig in, it becomes clear that the answer is far from clear. Do you base it on service members only? How about partisans? What about people who died from enemy actions vs their own government? How about civilians? How about people who died from direct action vs indirect action? That’s just a few of the many ways you can make an accounting. The total is murky because there always will be variables some people will argue to include and others will argue they should not be included. These are all factors you can make good arguments for and against, so you don’t have so much a single number but you end up with more of a probable range.

The model the government uses for the official number is always on the conservative end, but it doesn’t mean other models don’t have usefulness. That’s a better way to think of it. It’s not that modeling complex, near infinitely multi variable processes and interactions will ever be perfect, it’s not possible by definition, but we can assess economic models as useful or not useful.

Last edited:
Maybe that was wrong of the Dems but they typically don't try to hold the country hostage over and over again like Republicans do with government shutdowns.

The Dems have definitely tried to do it. They tried to do it with at least one of the shutdowns during Trump's administration, albeit that shutdown was only 3 days. The Republicans are just MUCH better at weaponizing these kind of political fights. The Democrat's bark is a lot worse than their bite.

There’s several WSJ articles, behind a paywall of course, that explain the various ways you can calculate inflation. Some models are a bit more complex, others are more practical , but they are all valid ways to define inflation. Unfortunately, the one true number is basically impossible to define, because there are different models and different definitions of what inflation is, depending on your frame of reference.

It’s like trying to answer “how many people died in world war 2?” On its face it’s a simple question, I just want a number. But when you dig in, it becomes clear that the answer is far from clear. Do you base it on service members only? How about partisans? What about people who died from enemy actions vs their own government? How about civilians? How about people who died from direct action vs indirect action? That’s just a few of the many ways you can make an accounting. The total is murky because there always will be variables some people will argue to include and others will argue they should not be included. These are all factors you can make good arguments for and against, so you don’t have so much a single number but you end up with more of a probable range.

The model the government uses for the official number is always on the conservative end, but it doesn’t mean other models don’t have usefulness. That’s a better way to think of it. It’s not that modeling complex, near infinitely multi variable processes and interactions will ever be perfect, it’s not possible by definition, but we can assess economic models as useful or not useful.

People often complain when they don't have all the information. Those claiming that the government lies on these inflation numbers probably don't realize what a lot of these indicators actually include. Core inflation doesn't include highly volatile prices like energy and food. CPI is mostly consisted of housing related expenses. And everyone's personal inflation rating is going to be different depending on their location and economic situation. If you have a mortgage chances are your personal inflation rate is actually LOWER than those who rent. If you live in the southwest your personal inflation rate will probably be HIGHER than those in the midwest.

Those who claim the government is lying on their official reports are probably the same morons who deny global warming simply because it's snowing at their house.

Who cares what the real number is. Food and gas have risen, my property taxes have exploded raising my housing costs, and our wages are stagnant in comparison. My money doesn’t go as far as it used to.
My property taxes went up 32% this year. Went from 3400 to 4500, and I know that is still low compared to a lot of people

For anyone curious to see what your pay increases amount to when compared to inflation, I made this spreadsheet. For the preloaded example, I used Level 11 base pay (no locality, CIP, or COLA included) for someone who was certified on January 1st, 2012 when the last increase to the Pay Bands in the Red Book took effect. The example includes the Congressional pay raises every January as well as the contractual CBA raises every June. Also, keep in mind we have not gotten our June 1.6% raise for 2023 yet so the final number will be skewed until that happens.

You can enter your own info to determine your realized raises by entering your Base Pay for the first year in which you were fully certified on January 1st in the orange column for that year. Then, go to the CPI Calculator link, enter your base pay for the January of that year and get the output for the "Same buying power as" for April 2023. Divide the "same buying power as" number by your starting base pay you entered in the orange column to get the percentage for F18. In this example, $98,731 in Jan 2012 had the same buying power as $132,139 in April of 2023. 132139/98731=1.3383....., so that's 33.83% that you then enter into box F18. Change the number of years you want to divide by in F22 to get your YOY results.

As you can see from the example, the average realized raise YOY since 2011 is less than .6% when adjusted for inflation.

The absurdity of passing a 5 year CBA extension with no attempt made to negotiate for increased raises becomes abundantly clear when you actually look at the numbers.
Great job brother! As others said the true inflation is way higher, especially in the last few years when you consider interest rates and others things not factored into the government inflation, so actual buying power is way in the negatives, not plus .67% but you did a great job posting this and we can edit the inflation rates to more realistic numbers on it if we wish.

My property taxes went up 32% this year. Went from 3400 to 4500, and I know that is still low compared to a lot of people
And that's not even factored into the government quoted inflation rate lol.

People on here aren't going to change who they vote for. It doesn't matter if they got a 10% pay cut by Trump they'd still agree with it. Republicans time and time again will do anything that hurts middle and lower class and then do something like tax cuts (like they did under Trump) for their billionaire donors. Democrats could have filibustered back then but they didn't. Maybe that was wrong of the Dems but they typically don't try to hold the country hostage over and over again like Republicans do with government shutdowns.

Debt ceiling is historically raised many times when a Republican president is in office (George W. Bush had it raised eight times). Then when a Democrat comes in to office the Republicans in Congress all of a sudden care about the budget.
Both parties aren’t the same but both parties love to lick the boot of the wealthy and corporations. Democrats just ignore class issues while republicans turn them into a culture war that actively harms some people.

Yeah, go ahead and trust everything the Govt tells you. They love people like you.

Let me guess you believe the "vaccines" were "safe and effective" too. 🐑
Effective I’ll give you. But they weren’t unsafe. Tell me you aren’t one of those clowns who believe people are dying with no evidence or increase to suggest that

Effective I’ll give you. But they weren’t unsafe. Tell me you aren’t one of those clowns who believe people are dying with no evidence or increase to suggest that
I'm whoever you want me to be. World class athletes collapsing on the field dead after taking the vaccine is not a coincidence. Normal people just randomly dying a few days after getting the vaccine is not a coincidence. Project Warpspeed and Big Pharma not being liable for their vaccines is not a coincidence.

I'm whoever you want me to be. World class athletes collapsing on the field dead after taking the vaccine is not a coincidence. Normal people just randomly dying a few days after getting the vaccine is not a coincidence. Project Warpspeed and Big Pharma not being liable for their vaccines is not a coincidence.
Bruh what. You act like an athlete has never died before. It’s been 2 years and billions of people have gotten it.

Going to refer to this comment every time someone asks if you have to be smart to be a controller.

Back
Top Bottom