Pay vs Inflation Calculator

Phillyman2633

Legendary Member
For anyone curious to see what your pay increases amount to when compared to inflation, I made this spreadsheet. For the preloaded example, I used Level 11 base pay (no locality, CIP, or COLA included) for someone who was certified on January 1st, 2012 when the last increase to the Pay Bands in the Red Book took effect. The example includes the Congressional pay raises every January as well as the contractual CBA raises every June. Also, keep in mind we have not gotten our June 1.6% raise for 2023 yet so the final number will be skewed until that happens.

You can enter your own info to determine your realized raises by entering your Base Pay for the first year in which you were fully certified on January 1st in the orange column for that year. Then, go to the CPI Calculator link, enter your base pay for the January of that year and get the output for the "Same buying power as" for April 2023. Divide the "same buying power as" number by your starting base pay you entered in the orange column to get the percentage for F18. In this example, $98,731 in Jan 2012 had the same buying power as $132,139 in April of 2023. 132139/98731=1.3383....., so that's 33.83% that you then enter into box F18. Change the number of years you want to divide by in F22 to get your YOY results.

As you can see from the example, the average realized raise YOY since 2011 is less than .6% when adjusted for inflation.

The absurdity of passing a 5 year CBA extension with no attempt made to negotiate for increased raises becomes abundantly clear when you actually look at the numbers.

Attachments

• Pay vs Inflation.xlsx
    12.6 KB · Views: 237
For anyone curious to see what your pay increases amount to when compared to inflation, I made this spreadsheet. For the preloaded example, I used Level 11 base pay (no locality, CIP, or COLA included) for someone who was certified on January 1st, 2012 when the last increase to the Pay Bands in the Red Book took effect. The example includes the Congressional pay raises every January as well as the contractual CBA raises every June. Also, keep in mind we have not gotten our June 1.6% raise for 2023 yet so the final number will be skewed until that happens.

You can enter your own info to determine your realized raises by entering your Base Pay for the first year in which you were fully certified on January 1st in the orange column for that year. Then, go to the CPI Calculator link, enter your base pay for the January of that year and get the output for the "Same buying power as" for April 2023. Divide the "same buying power as" number by your starting base pay you entered in the orange column to get the percentage for F18. In this example, $98,731 in Jan 2012 had the same buying power as $132,139 in April of 2023. 132139/98731=1.3383....., so that's 33.83% that you then enter into box F18. Change the number of years you want to divide by in F22 to get your YOY results.

As you can see from the example, the average realized raise YOY since 2011 is less than .6% when adjusted for inflation.

The absurdity of passing a 5 year CBA extension with no attempt made to negotiate for increased raises becomes abundantly clear when you actually look at the numbers.
And that's if you believe in the numbers provided to you by the goverment. Now adjust for real inflation and realize we've actually received a huge cut.

Not going to argue with you, but where are you realizing this number? Is it just a feeling or do you have actual data to support?

80s mcdonalds GIF

Not going to argue with you, but where are you realizing this number? Is it just a feeling or do you have actual data to support?
It's just a feeling. I don't believe the 8% or whatever garbage the govt was feeding us. Gas went from $2 to (now) $3 here groceries seem to be more expensive, auto parts are more expensive, house and cars gone up in price.
Close to it. I think a good rule of thumb is to take whatever the gov claims it is and double it.
Yup.

Companies are making record profits though isn’t that what you want? Or do you want the government to interfere

22% over 3.5 years does not equal inflation at 20%. That's not how CPI, PPI, or Core Inflation is measured. It's just not.
People are making up their own narrative on here. Anyone that claims "those aren't the real numbers" or "the numbers the government wants you to believe" like a couple posters basically said tells you all you need to know.

People are making up their own narrative on here. Anyone that claims "those aren't the real numbers" or "the numbers the government wants you to believe" like a couple posters basically said tells you all you need to know.
Yeah it tells you that the govt is full of shit. Tell me your paycheck is going just as far right now as it was 3 years ago. The govt would never lie to you, right?

Yeah it tells you that the govt is full of shit. Tell me your paycheck is going just as far right now as it was 3 years ago. The govt would never lie to you, right?
I own a bigger house, a nicer car, and pay more than my mortgage for daycare thanks to having kids compared to pre-COVID. Inflation isn't bothering me one bit and I think most people complaining about it are just terrible with their money. Oh and I'm not at a high level facility or working nonstop OT to make this happen and my wife works less than she used to.

I'm sure the government does lie, but I'm definitely not believing some random article by the NYPost using a greedy corporation like McDonalds as a better reference.

I wonder what people think our raises would have looked like if the republicans controlled things

I wonder what people think our raises would have looked like if the republicans controlled things

People on here aren't going to change who they vote for. It doesn't matter if they got a 10% pay cut by Trump they'd still agree with it. Republicans time and time again will do anything that hurts middle and lower class and then do something like tax cuts (like they did under Trump) for their billionaire donors. Democrats could have filibustered back then but they didn't. Maybe that was wrong of the Dems but they typically don't try to hold the country hostage over and over again like Republicans do with government shutdowns.

Debt ceiling is historically raised many times when a Republican president is in office (George W. Bush had it raised eight times). Then when a Democrat comes in to office the Republicans in Congress all of a sudden care about the budget.

Back
Top Bottom