Post Graduation Timeline

If you're thinking about bringing your own car do it. OKC is like a miniature Phoenix, very spread out. Also doesn't have a ton of public transportation options. Also don't give up your pets! There has to be some options in OKC for bringing them.

Also what 12 do you leave near that's in MN? Not important but I'm a little confused since there isn't a 12 there.

15 min from M98, you're right...it's an 11. But the point is double moot. I won't get an 11 either, but it was brought up that I do live fairly close to a bunch of small facilities. So that's fine.

Lots of places have options for bringing your pets. Kim's place is VERY friendly towards dogs. There are a lot in the neighborhood and every house has a fenced-in backyard. The only thing to consider is if your pet would be ok alone for 9+ hours a day while you are at school.

Thanks, I thought about it. It would be advantageous for me to leave them with family in the area. I think they would be happier with that arrangement.

15 min from M98, you're right...it's an 11. But the point is double moot. I won't get an 11 either, but it was brought up that I do live fairly close to a bunch of small facilities. So that's fine.

Don't bank on any of the facilities in the cities. If you're trying to stay in MN your only bets are probably Duluth or Rochester.

Don't bank on any of the facilities in the cities. If you're trying to stay in MN your only bets are probably Duluth or Rochester.

I like the area, but location isn't very high up on my priority list. I would like to go to an up/down facility that would allow me to wear two hats. I'm not from MN, I've lived in many states over the years. It's pretty though.

I like the area, but location isn't very high up on my priority list. I would like to go to an up/down facility that would allow me to wear two hats. I'm not from MN, I've lived in many states over the years. It's pretty though.
Perfect attitude to have. And you'll almost certainly have an opportunity to go to an up/down. Good luck to you.

Depends on what you mean by research....

You'll get your list about a week ahead of evals, this may depend on how close together your evals are to another class though. Once you receive your list those are the options you're given. That will allow you to rank your options based on whatever information you deem necessary whether it's pass rate and check out time at that location or cost of living or if it's a city/town you think you might want to be near. From there it's really based on how you rank in the class and where the people ahead of you (if any) plan on choosing. Don't bother trying to guess what the list is because it can change fairly drastically and slots change weekly.
Just a heads up we didn’t get our list till the day of our Evals and it wasn’t remotely close to the lists on here.

Is it one of those situations where technically the manager is over both facilities and there are OMs in charge of each facility individually?
Separate management. The tower is going to be dropped to a 10 as well, the Tracon just lost the numbers first. Give it a few more months. As you know, centers don’t change so ZMP has the last laugh.

Separate management. The tower is going to be dropped to a 10 as well, the Tracon just lost the numbers first. Give it a few more months. As you know, centers don’t change so ZMP has the last laugh.
Unless MSP & M98 get upgraded to an 11 in the future and they all get a 6% raise..

You're reimbursed a day after classes end?

So the best plan to maximize your travel days is to 1) Tell them you're staying a day after classes end 2) Tell them you're driving 3) Fly back home, on your own dime, immediately after selection?
They’ll ask if you’re flying or driving, and if you plan to go home first. The number of travel days is set based on the distance from the facility, regardless. You could theoretically extend it a day by staying one day after your placements.
My class was fortunate enough to place on a Friday before a 3 day weekend. So our travel days didn’t start until Tuesday. I left OKC immediately after placement on Friday, had Saturday, Sunday and Monday off for RDOs, then Tuesday/Wednesday were travel days. Took 16 of the allotted 64 change of station hours for Thursday & Friday, then 2 more RDOs on Saturday & Sunday. Reported Monday, 10 days after placement and only had to take 2 days of use-it-or-lose-it leave. THAT is the best way to maximize travel days. Just gotta be lucky.

You're reimbursed a day after classes end?

So the best plan to maximize your travel days is to 1) Stay an extra day 2) Tell them you're driving 3) Fly back home, on your own dime, immediately after selection?
They’ll ask if you’re flying or driving, and if you plan to go home first. The number of travel days is set based on the distance from the facility, regardless. You could theoretically extend it a day by staying one day after your placements.
My class was fortunate enough to place on a Friday before a 3 day weekend. So our travel days didn’t start until Tuesday. I left OKC immediately after placement on Friday, had Saturday, Sunday and Monday off for RDOs, then Tuesday/Wednesday were travel days. Took 16 of the allotted 64 change of station hours for Thursday & Friday, then 2 more RDOs on Saturday & Sunday. Reported Monday, 10 days after placement and only had to take 2 days of use-it-or-lose-it leave. THAT is the best way to maximize travel days. Just gotta be lucky.

Haha that's awesome, but I won't be that lucky. My estimated date is 8/28 - closest holiday to that is Labor Day on 9/7. Is the estimated date they give you your placement day, or the day after placement day? I have my accommodation set to the 28th, so if I want an extra day after, I'd have to change it to the 29th.

Haha that's awesome, but I won't be that lucky. My estimated date is 8/28 - closest holiday to that is Labor Day on 9/7. Is the estimated date they give you your placement day, or the day after placement day? I have my accommodation set to the 28th, so if I want an extra day after, I'd have to change it to the 29th.
Day after. Schedule it for the 29th. You can always give the housing provider a notice if you leave on the 28th.

Back
Top Bottom