Privatisation and the Shutdown... Has your stance changed?

Such a thing doesn’t really exist outside of maybe some aspects of the military.

Not true. Rep. Peter DiFazio has been fighting to carve out the AATF from the appropriations budget. This is the account we draw our salaries from. If this happens, we do have that stable funding stream (self-sustaining account that brings in more than it pays out) and we remain in government. A much faster, and easier process than privatization.

Last edited:
""Are we ready? Did that cut deep enough? Did it hurt your pocketbook enough?" Rinaldi asked assembled aviation stakeholders."
....yep, Paul's worried about aviation stakeholder's pocketbooks alright.

You ever also consider that as these shutdowns drag on we inadvertently pressure the government to reopen. I.E, if we are removed and these shutdowns continue, will there be even less incentive for lawmakers to come together and figure it out? Our *hypothetical* gain by separating from the government could be other agencies' loss.

Has NATCA officially come out for the bills that aim to keep us paid during shutdowns or keep us in the government but seperate our funding, or the one that will see congress/senate/pres not getting paid either?

And out of all the responses... only FightingIrish and maybe one other have interest in privatization. Maybe we need a larger survey? I have no idea why this has any traction. Are we all Californian on this board or something?

And out of all the responses... only FightingIrish and maybe one other have interest in privatization. Maybe we need a larger survey? I have no idea why this has any traction. Are we all Californian on this board or something?

This board leans differently than a lot of controllers, including myself. It's just tiring going in circles about the same things so I avoid it until election time.

As for the other points in your first post, a lot of people would say that our union should be looking out for our members, not worried about other government agencies. To your point on what NATCA supports, generally they tried to be smart about what they support. If it's not going anywhere or it's tied in with other stuff they don't support it.

Side note, while it's easy to get irritated at Senate/Congress getting paid while we don't, making it so they don't get paid during a shutdown is a horrible idea and I would hope NATCA wouldn't put their name on it

Your larger survey was the NATCA Presidency election last year, when Zillonis tried to stroke the anti privatization fears thinking that could get him elected but the people endorsed Paul including his ideas to remove the ATO from the government and exam better options.

This board leans differently than a lot of controllers, including myself. It's just tiring going in circles about the same things so I avoid it until election time.

As for the other points in your first post, a lot of people would say that our union should be looking out for our members, not worried about other government agencies. To your point on what NATCA supports, generally they tried to be smart about what they support. If it's not going anywhere or it's tied in with other stuff they don't support it.

Side note, while it's easy to get irritated at Senate/Congress getting paid while we don't, making it so they don't get paid during a shutdown is a horrible idea and I would hope NATCA wouldn't put their name on it

I'd be interested to hear about the "circles" -- I really haven't felt I've gotten a clear understanding of "WHY" we want to privatize. I hear the push for it during shutdowns, but as Foogy notes, that's not a "reason" to privatize so much as it is a reason to push the legislatures/pres to get their acts together. I don't understand what actual, immediate and direct benefit it will be to us. (Noting that it "works great" elsewhere is also not a solid reason)
While I agree the union should be focusing on its members, we as the members should use situational awareness, and again I ask why WE are the only tiny group of 15K people seeking to exit the government. I mention what detriment us leaving could have on other agencies only to point it out.

If the only actual reason we are seeking privatization is these shutdowns (and given that it's brought up pretty much only during shutdowns, that's what I'm led to believe)--- I feel our membership is willing to take on way too much risk for a seemingly hidden reward.

Your larger survey was the NATCA Presidency election last year, when Zillonis tried to stroke the anti privatization fears thinking that could get him elected but the people endorsed Paul including his ideas to remove the ATO from the government and exam better options.

This makes sense. So who are these people who voted? Where are they hiding? You're here, a couple others. That's it?

It was more than just the privatisation “fears” tbh, accountability of the NEB played a huge role in casting a vote for him on my end as well.

The rinaldi/zilonis election was therorized to be rigged by the Eastern region. I tend to agree. No zilonis info was distributed at my facility (pct) until a random supporter dropped a box on the facrep desk. Every other facility in the Eastern region was handled the same way. Zilonis claims that he sent boxes to every facrep in the country. Every facrep in the Eastern region claims that they didn't get anything from him.

Sadly, this was true nationwide. It is what it is now though. Mailings were made to every members house, it was just a matter of whether members took the time to research. :(

Back
Top Bottom