Questions about this career

John316

Hello, I have two questions about this career.

For enroute, what is a typical center schedule? Is it a rotating shift or fixed days off each week? Will I be saying good bye to Sunday’s off for years at a time?

How does the federal pension work if I’m on the older end and there retirement age is mandatory 56. I’m a bit unclear on the pension requirements of 20 years or 25 years.

If there these are answered elsewhere on the forums, my apologies, I’ve looked but may have missed. Please provide link.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, I have two questions about this career.

For enroute, what is a typical center schedule? Is it a rotating shift or fixed days off each week? Will I be saying good bye to Sunday’s off for years at a time?

How does the federal pension work if I’m on the older end and there retirement age is mandatory 56. I’m a bit unclear on the pension requirements of 20 years or 25 years.

If there these are answered elsewhere on the forums, my apologies, I’ve looked but may have missed. Please provide link.

Thanks in advance.

Fixed days off.

You might be saying goodbye to Sundays off for awhile. It really depends on where you go and what your area wants. You get 25% extra for every hour you work on Sundays so it's more desirable to work on Sundays. Fri/Sat off is probably the universally most desired controller work schedule.

You can retire with 25 years experience at any age (ex. hired at 21, can retire at 46). You can retire with 20 years experience starting at age 50, with mandatory retirement the day you turn 56.

Further retirement questions or anything related to pay can be found here. Pay

Each center seems to have different shift start times but in general it’s 2 evenings and 3 days (or 2 days and a mid).

My schedule for the past 4 years has been

Fri: 1420-2220
Sat: 1330-2130
Sun: 0700-1500
Mon: 0600-1400
Mon/Tue: 2210-0610
Wed/Thur: RDO

Back
Top Bottom