NEST Received a NEST list and looking for advice!

PNS has changed alot. Housing prices are very high and very few rentals available. Population has increased and they have not kept up with the highways to move traffic, its a nightmare. Expect to go thru hurricanes, Pensacola has been getting their share yearly, so be prepared for them. Would look elsewhere, out of the hurricane zone.

The list is quite large and any advice/recommendations on where to go/NOT go would be greatly appreciated!!!

I’m not too picky on location and I’ve been basing most of my decisions on pass rates/cost of living so far. Thanks for your help!!
My first facility was ERI and it should be an easy checkout now that it is tower only and I think you're only competing with one or two people who want to leave there. Cost of living is low and you're almost exactly an hour and a half from Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Cleveland.

Also Saginaw, Muskegon, and Akron-Canton are cost of living friendly areas and all should be easy checkouts.

CAK is running at nearly a 100% pass rate. Last 8 trainees made it on mins or close to mins. Lvl 4 tower only with 90% of the work being done by CLE. High staffing and possibly an easy revolving door.
Don’t even get me started. More like 99% of the work. Most CAK controllers refuse to sequence anyone. It’s insane. “VFR” tower. “Cleared for Takeoff,” “Cleared to land.” That’s all you will say. If you can’t certify there, you don’t deserve to be ATC.

CMA is a nice facility but I wouldn't recommend it. The surrounding area the COL is ridiculous. Can barely find affordable housing within a 30 minutes drive unless you want to pay for something built in the 70s and "renovated" with fresh paint. You'd likely never be able to buy a house within the area because all new builds are "luxury" apartments and condos that have 3k rent for single bedroom. Food selection is subpar if you want anything outside boomer chain restaurants. Redeeming qualities are the access to the beach, access to the Santa Monica mountains for hiking, quick check out, and constant influx of trainees so staffing is usually good but you'll be competing against nearly everyone on trying to get out. Natca and management have a good relationship if you care about that. And when staffing is good enough we've been known to run 4 10 schedule for the entire facility.

CMA is a nice facility but I wouldn't recommend it. The surrounding area the COL is ridiculous. Can barely find affordable housing within a 30 minutes drive unless you want to pay for something built in the 70s and "renovated" with fresh paint. You'd likely never be able to buy a house within the area because all new builds are "luxury" apartments and condos that have 3k rent for single bedroom. Food selection is subpar if you want anything outside boomer chain restaurants. Redeeming qualities are the access to the beach, access to the Santa Monica mountains for hiking, quick check out, and constant influx of trainees so staffing is usually good but you'll be competing against nearly everyone on trying to get out. Natca and management have a good relationship if you care about that. And when staffing is good enough we've been known to run 4 10 schedule for the entire facility.
I grew up in that area. It used to be all farms. Now it’s expensive houses

PNS is a good facility great check out rate and pretty good mix of traffic for a 6. A lot of military practice approaches B06, tex2 occasional T1 and T45 mixed in with mainline and regional carriers, and GA traffic. Pros you are close to the beach cost of living isn't bad, and FL doesn't have income tax. 3 hours to New Orleans, 6 to Central FL. There is a decent amount of bars and good food downtown. Cons Hurricane season can be sketchy if you are within the cone. I would 100% invest in a decent sized generator because you will use it at least once a year. Schools suck but there is a cheap private school in town if you are into that. Crime was getting worse on the west side of the airport. Home prices are going up but that's the case everywhere.

All in all I don't think anyone would be disappointed going to PNS.

Id probably go MKC. RNO is a fantastic area. I dont know about the facility but the extra benefit is no income tax.

PNS is a good facility great check out rate and pretty good mix of traffic for a 6. A lot of military practice approaches B06, tex2 occasional T1 and T45 mixed in with mainline and regional carriers, and GA traffic. Pros you are close to the beach cost of living isn't bad, and FL doesn't have income tax. 3 hours to New Orleans, 6 to Central FL. There is a decent amount of bars and good food downtown. Cons Hurricane season can be sketchy if you are within the cone. I would 100% invest in a decent sized generator because you will use it at least once a year. Schools suck but there is a cheap private school in town if you are into that. Crime was getting worse on the west side of the airport. Home prices are going up but that's the case everywhere.

All in all I don't think anyone would be disappointed going to PNS.
They'd have to like the gulf coast area. IMO Pensacola was a garbage town. But I was only there visiting although I do have plenty of Gulf experience.

They'd have to like the gulf coast area. IMO Pensacola was a garbage town. But I was only there visiting although I do have plenty of Gulf experience.
It's not a Garbage town sure there are sketchy neighborhoods, but there are also bougie neighborhoods. I hated the beach don't fish or do anything water related but still enjoyed the area it's all subjective. I will admit they do have an abnormally large homeless community for a small city that's one of the biggest cons.

It's not a Garbage town sure there are sketchy neighborhoods, but there are also bougie neighborhoods. I hated the beach don't fish or do anything water related but still enjoyed the area it's all subjective. I will admit they do have an abnormally large homeless community for a small city that's one of the biggest cons.
It's because of the military base out there. Most of those homeless are vets.

Also, if you like the Midwest then GRR is heaven. Awesome city, decent cost of living, great nightlife/restaurants/breweries/distilleries, good public schools, great parks. If it could have stayed a 7 I would have done everything in my power to get there. Damn you, AZO/804.

Are they going back to offering every facility below a certain percentage? Longest list I’ve seen.

Back
Top Bottom