Reporting diagnosis

Just found out that some members of my family have a genetic heart disease. There is no guarantee that I have it but I would like to get tested to see if I indeed have it.

If the test comes back positive, I understand the FAA would want me to report it but I don't want to lose my medical. Obviously, if I end up needing to take medicine for the disease, I would report that. But just having the disease with no symptoms and no need for medication, could the FAA find out the test result from my insurance or another source?

Just found out that some members of my family have a genetic heart disease. There is no guarantee that I have it but I would like to get tested to see if I indeed have it.

If the test comes back positive, I understand the FAA would want me to report it but I don't want to lose my medical. Obviously, if I end up needing to take medicine for the disease, I would report that. But just having the disease with no symptoms and no need for medication, could the FAA find out the test result from my insurance or another source?
Is it a diagnosis or genetic testing to see if you have the markers? From the sound of it, it just seems like genetic testing although I preface this with "I am not a doctor." To answer the second part of your question, I honestly have no idea and your best bet would be to utilise AMAS.

866-AEROMED

If there is treatment required, at the time you report, I suggest you give a statement from your doctor saying it’s being treated successfully and how it’s being treated so that you aren’t DQed until you get the treatment in place. Or you submit the plan for treatment from your doctor, So the RFS doesn’t have to guess what it might be.

If there isn’t treatment, get a statement saying you are showing no negative e signs or anything that might indicate you’ll have a problem.

Do this all at original submission.

Call AMAS. Or book it thru the web. If you're a union member, have your membership number handy and it's free. You might have to leave a voicemail, but a doc will call you back within a day or two.

If there is treatment required, at the time you report, I suggest you give a statement from your doctor saying it’s being treated successfully and how it’s being treated so that you aren’t DQed until you get the treatment in place. Or you submit the plan for treatment from your doctor, So the RFS doesn’t have to guess what it might be.

If there isn’t treatment, get a statement saying you are showing no negative e signs or anything that might indicate you’ll have a problem.

Do this all at original submission.
Although if being treated he’d still probably get DQ’ed. RFS offices are unnecessarily picky and arbitrary

Although if being treated he’d still probably get DQ’ed. RFS offices are unnecessarily picky and arbitrary
Maybe. But if the medical issue itself isn’t an auto and permanent DQ, they just want to know you are being treated and it’s under control. If you provide that on initial report they are way less likely to do so and everyone who has ever done that that I know of has never been DQ.

Back
Top Bottom