Ridiculous Hardships

I mean the placing process is worse then it was then right before I got in, two slots per person down to one, leaves no choice, and we had people begging to go to a place that was number 8 on the list

Hardships are not scams. NCEPT is the scam. Hardships are the work around. Fix NCEPT and hardships will decline. So long as there are facilities where you’re banned from transferring from, then do what you have to do. It’s one thing if that transfer ban was in effect before you were at that facility, but some people took whatever facility they could get in order to be hired knowing they could always transfer later, and then got fucked.
And make even a minute effort to place people in the region their from initially. There’s no reason someone from the bat area can’t get Oakland every single time

And make even a minute effort to place people in the region their from initially. There’s no reason someone from the bat area can’t get Oakland every single time
Yea, the regional hiring that instructors at the academy all seemed to come in on sounds most ideal for everyone. Though I don't know how hard it was to fill lower populated or less desirable areas.

Back in the day you would name either two or five states when you applied that you would be willing to work in. I still think that's a better way to do it, a lot of people are not really interested in the job if you can be sent anywhere. Obviously FL and TX would get a huge amount of requests, but you can't tell me there are not 15 local boys in Helena, Montana, Billings, and places like that who would be happy to have a "exciting" federal job for 25-30 years and make close to 100K.

Back in the day you would name either two or five states when you applied that you would be willing to work in. I still think that's a better way to do it, a lot of people are not really interested in the job if you can be sent anywhere. Obviously FL and TX would get a huge amount of requests, but you can't tell me there are not 15 local boys in Helena, Montana, Billings, and places like that who would be happy to have a "exciting" federal job for 25-30 years and make close to 100K.
They should still let you put anywhere. But at least under this strategy you’d really have no leg to stand on

Yea, the regional hiring that instructors at the academy all seemed to come in on sounds most ideal for everyone. Though I don't know how hard it was to fill lower populated or less desirable areas.

it was often a lot harder to get hired in the first place when you limited yourself to a specific region. When I got hired you had to pick 2 states then hope any facilities in those states were even going to send someone to the hiring board that year. Wasn’t uncommon at all for people to not get hired for 3-5 years. It’s literally the only reason I put NY because I figured there was an excellent chance N90 was hiring off every prior experience bid. My first choice was NC and not a single facility in NC picked up anyone that year.

it was often a lot harder to get hired in the first place when you limited yourself to a specific region. When I got hired you had to pick 2 states then hope any facilities in those states were even going to send someone to the hiring board that year. Wasn’t uncommon at all for people to not get hired for 3-5 years. It’s literally the only reason I put NY because I figured there was an excellent chance N90 was hiring off every prior experience bid. My first choice was NC and not a single facility in NC picked up anyone that year.
Cool took 6 years to get hired on the BQ regime and they still send you anywhere.

Cool took 6 years to get hired on the BQ regime and they still send you anywhere.
My favorite part about failing the BQ was that 4 months later, I got my CTI degree and qualified on the next bid in the CTI pool. ~50 weeks from bid to start date. Just goes to show that the BQ really did nothing but keep potentially good controllers out of the agency.

My favorite part about failing the BQ was that 4 months later, I got my CTI degree and qualified on the next bid in the CTI pool. ~50 weeks from bid to start date. Just goes to show that the BQ really did nothing but keep potentially good controllers out of the agency.
At the beginning of the BQ CTI didn’t mean anything. I graduated CTI before the BQ was a thing. Then sequestration, then BQ, then finally hired, then gov shutdown, then corona virus. ?

Yea, but nothing was keeping you from applying to different regions/states, right? Sure, it may not have been your top choices, but you still had a hand in picking your own options. I don't mind that I ended up where I am even though it isn't somewhere I ever would have considered being FAA or not. I still have more desired locations to be though. Not sure why the FAA continuously changes their processes though. That doesn't do anyone good.

I failed the BQ in the morning and went to work planes later that afternoon. Guess I wasn’t cut out for controlling

Step 1 : get good
Step 2 : dont be in last place
Step 3 : profit
Is it really profiting when the best location is deciding between MLU and JNU? They need to go back to the old way. Have people choose states (2-5) and know exactly where they are going prior to reporting to the academy. Seems really silly to have people go to OKC, have no clue where they are going, and then have a few days to get there (find housing, move, arrange child care, etc.)?

Is it really profiting when the best location is deciding between MLU and JNU? They need to go back to the old way. Have people choose states (2-5) and know exactly where they are going prior to reporting to the academy. Seems really silly to have people go to OKC, have no clue where they are going, and then have a few days to get there (find housing, move, arrange child care, etc.)?
As stated above, this could cost you a job if those two states aren’t hiring. I’d rather go to the shit facilities than not have a career in ATC. Just me though and my situation prior to this job making shit money lol.

I wish the FAA would let me choose SoCal after the academy. I’m from Florida and live in Texas and yet I’d still love to work there. But I will probably get stuck in Nebraska :)

Back
Top Bottom