Ridiculous Hardships

The worst controllers I know went to CTI or have degrees
They’ve expanded the CTI programs to the point that they aren’t properly screening candidates for the agency. Back in the early 90s, CTI programs (like 6 total) did a very good job of screening candidates. Now, you have places like Mount Sac or Miami Dade that are hot garbage. Some of the worst controllers I know went to CTI school or controlled in the Chair Force. The OTSers or Marines, on the whole, seem to do the best.

Last edited:
They’ve expanded the CTI programs to the point that they aren’t probably screening candidates for the agency. Back in the early 90s, CTI programs (like 6 total) did a very good job of screening candidates. Now, you have places like Mount Sac or Miami Dade that are hot garbage. Some of the worst controllers I know went to CTI school or controlled in the Chair Force. The OTSers or Marines, on the whole, seem to do the best.
Don’t forget Vaughn in NY. One year course mostly online ?. Multiple choice CTI!

Afaik there hasnt ever been a degree requirement for ATC.
You were required to have a Bachelor’s Degree for OTS hiring (from as early as 1981 until roughly the mid to late 2000s). Then (OTS path), you took the OPM Controller aptitude test in which you had to score a 90 or higher to be “top candidate” with all applicants scoring above a 70 kept on file. Most regions wouldn’t take applicants with less than a 90; however, 1/3 of New England hires between 1986-87 scored less than a 90 and ALL candidates in the Southwest Region in late 1987-mid 1988 scored less than a 90 due to lack of top candidates. Then, you waited, on average, 11.5 months to report for an 11 week class in OKC. In the early 90s, the agency even required CTI graduates to take the aptitude test and score well enough to be hired.

Nerd

Why would someone with actual military ATC apply for the general bid and not the previous experience
Everyone should be lumped into the same hiring pool, take the same pre hiring aptitude tests, pass the same FAA academy, and then report to their facility. Too many military “controllers” are garbage from say SEALORD yet they get a pass to being hired over potentially better candidates because they are a “controller.”

They’ve expanded the CTI programs to the point that they aren’t properly screening candidates for the agency. Back in the early 90s, CTI programs (like 6 total) did a very good job of screening candidates. Now, you have places like Mount Sac or Miami Dade that are hot garbage. Some of the worst controllers I know went to CTI school or controlled in the Chair Force. The OTSers or Marines, on the whole, seem to do the best.
As a Marine, I can attest to that

Hey bro don’t talk shit about Mt. Stuck, I’m much smarter because of my time there!

Everyone should be lumped into the same hiring pool, take the same pre hiring aptitude tests, pass the same FAA academy, and then report to their facility. Too many military “controllers” are garbage from say SEALORD yet they get a pass to being hired over potentially better candidates because they are a “controller.”
Trust me I’ve seen a helo “controller”, some ugly stuff

I will say the sims at my CTI school and getting to know the airport layout before even sniffing the academy was extremely helpful, but I also know you had to get vetted by the department head and get an 80+ in all your classes to get the CTI recommendation

I think it’s more the “I have experience” mindset than actually being garbage. Their lack of experience shouldn’t matter considering so many OTS hires can get it done, but attitude and lack of desire to learn sure will make you trash.

My class had 12 people and all the CTIs passed towards the top and 3 OTS failed.
An OTS person in my class set the record for the worst local run ever. Not sure if that’s true but It ended up being lower than -400. We also had an OTS finish second behind an army controller. It’s all a crap shoot.

An OTS person in my class set the record for the worst local run ever. Not sure if that’s true but It ended up being lower than -400. We also had an OTS finish second behind an army controller. It’s all a crap shoot.
As others have said if you pull out the UND, UAA, beaver, Etc. that had real simulators you’d find a higher pass rate than the general no knowledge candidate.

before the BQ the faa was about to go to plan we’re they’d rank the schools based on how good their program was and select accordingly

As others have said if you pull out the UND, UAA, beaver, Etc. that had real simulators you’d find a higher pass rate than the general no knowledge candidate.

before the BQ the faa was about to go to plan we’re they’d rank the schools based on how good their program was and select accordingly
Glad they didn’t do that then or I would have been screwed

Even the best CTI schools just set their graduates up for a better chance at passing the Academy, usually because they used the same airspace etc as the Academy. I’ve long said this is a type of job you can do or you can’t do. If you can do it it doesn’t matter if you’re OTS or CTI. If you can’t do it that doesn’t matter either. Even with prior mil ATC experience isn’t necessarily a good judge if someone will do it because there are plenty of mil facilities that work 4 planes a day.

Glad they didn’t do that then or I would have been screwed
Even the best CTI schools just set their graduates up for a better chance at passing the Academy, usually because they used the same airspace etc as the Academy. I’ve long said this is a type of job you can do or you can’t do. If you can do it it doesn’t matter if you’re OTS or CTI. If you can’t do it that doesn’t matter either. Even with prior mil ATC experience isn’t necessarily a good judge if someone will do it because there are plenty of mil facilities that work 4 planes a day.
i think it more had to do with the people that wanted the job and were the most interested applied for the ctis. Back then it was literally the only way to get hired

I think they should do a hell of a lot better than they’ve done. Also, weed out more candidates initially. Go back to a standardized cognitive/aptitude test for initial government hiring (not this well qualified, qualified, not qualified crap). REQUIRE a four year Bachelor’s Degree or actual military ATC to qualify to apply. Get rid of the independent CTI hiring slots. Test ALL applicants and take the best say 5-10%. With those changes, you won’t have as big of a pool and not everyone isn’t going to get one of their top 5 states.
Requiring a Bachelor's degree or military ATC would be an awful move. One of the main draws to this job is that it requires no college degree and no experience. College is a huge waste of money for a job like this.

Should say college as it's current offering is watered down with unnecessary general education and pointed political agendas instead of providing skillsets in critical thinking and the ability to form an opinion.
I didn’t have a problem with gen eds, nothing wrong with being a little more well rounded

Back
Top Bottom