Ridiculous Hardships

As stated above, this could cost you a job if those two states aren’t hiring. I’d rather go to the shit facilities than not have a career in ATC. Just me though and my situation prior to this job making shit money lol.
And how many jobs have been cost from nervous people that don’t even know where they are going to live tomorrow

The other issue with assigned facilities before attending the Academy, and I believe part of the reason they stopped doing it, is because say OMA has two slots available for the year at the Academy so they send two applicants and then one of them fails... that slot doesn't get added back in. There is no default person to fill it (ie falling to the next class). If the person supposed to be coming to your facility fails, sorry you get nobody.

The other issue with assigned facilities before attending the Academy, and I believe part of the reason they stopped doing it, is because say OMA has two slots available for the year at the Academy so they send two applicants and then one of them fails... that slot doesn't get added back in. There is no default person to fill it (ie falling to the next class). If the person supposed to be coming to your facility fails, sorry you get nobody.
Just make it more fluid where rTOLs go out as needed

As stated above, this could cost you a job if those two states aren’t hiring. I’d rather go to the shit facilities than not have a career in ATC. Just me though and my situation prior to this job making shit money lol.
Why not have FAA HR keep people in line (say up to three years or whatever) and contact them, with other openings, if their 2-5 states aren’t currently selecting? Say you want Texas, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, and Georgia. None are selecting new hires this year, but the FAA reaches out and says we can offer you Tennessee, New York, Oregon, Alaska, or Guam. That way, you could still choose to get in AND know your facility prior to going to OKC.

Why not have FAA HR keep people in line (say up to three years or whatever) and contact them, with other openings, if their 2-5 states aren’t currently selecting? Say you want Texas, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, and Georgia. None are selecting new hires this year, but the FAA reaches out and says we can offer you Tennessee, New York, Oregon, Alaska, or Guam. That way, you could still choose to get in AND know your facility prior to going to OKC.
How many people applied to the last OTS bid? You really think HR can keep track of 15,000 applicants?

How many people applied to the last OTS bid? You really think HR can keep track of 15,000 applicants?
For prior experience they break them down into groups of 15-20ish for their selection process, wouldnt be too difficult for those guys to say, "you want an immediate fill and you can go to work in a month or you can wait to see if something opens up next week? The approximate wait time for California is 18-24 months". Would lessen the amount of transfers in and out, keeping qualified people where they want to be. It doesnt make sense to send someone across the country for a CPC just to have them quit immediately and apply direct to facility when the time is up.

I think they should do a hell of a lot better than they’ve done. Also, weed out more candidates initially. Go back to a standardized cognitive/aptitude test for initial government hiring (not this well qualified, qualified, not qualified crap). REQUIRE a four year Bachelor’s Degree or actual military ATC to qualify to apply. Get rid of the independent CTI hiring slots. Test ALL applicants and take the best say 5-10%. With those changes, you won’t have as big of a pool and not everyone isn’t going to get one of their top 5 states.

It was a requirement, for all federal jobs, for YEARS. Why did they dumb it down to “progressively responsible work experience?”
Having a degree doesn’t mean shit for a lot of federal jobs, including ATC. Plenty of people who decided against/were not able to attend a 4 year school for whatever reason have the skills to be a controller. For the record, I have a bachelors and graduated with a 4.0 and I don’t think that makes me any more qualified than my co worker who didn’t go to school.

I think they should do a hell of a lot better than they’ve done. Also, weed out more candidates initially. Go back to a standardized cognitive/aptitude test for initial government hiring (not this well qualified, qualified, not qualified crap). REQUIRE a four year Bachelor’s Degree or actual military ATC to qualify to apply. Get rid of the independent CTI hiring slots. Test ALL applicants and take the best say 5-10%. With those changes, you won’t have as big of a pool and not everyone isn’t going to get one of their top 5 states.
Eh I don’t agree with this, my entire Enroute class was OTS except for one CTI and the CTI grad is the only one that failed out. If you can do the job, college shouldn’t be a requirement.

Having a degree doesn’t mean shit for a lot of federal jobs, including ATC. Plenty of people who decided against/were not able to attend a 4 year school for whatever reason have the skills to be a controller. For the record, I have a bachelors and graduated with a 4.0 and I don’t think that makes me any more qualified than my co worker who didn’t go to school.
Nerd

Why would someone with actual military ATC apply for the general bid and not the previous experience

Why would someone with actual military ATC apply for the general bid and not the previous experience
I had 2 prior exp in my class one didn't like the locations he was given and tried the lottery system at the academy, he also finished 2nd out of 12 so he want worried about failing. The other guy just missed a prior exp bid, and didn't want to wait for the next one.

Nerd

definitely missed out on this sweet prior experience bid they have now. I got hired on a bid where I selected 3 states and they sent me to a state thst wasn’t even in any of the regions the states were in. Personally I have seen the prior experience bids work amazingly so I have to agree with you. I have known more than 15 people get the exact facility they wanted. Most get at least their top 3. I have known 3 people that got a list of 10+ facilities and requested a facility other than their list and got it. Managers have pull with those prior experience people.

Back
Top Bottom