Save Pay FAA to DOD

Stacks

Lurker
Im currently making the transition from FAA to DOD and I'm being told by HR and the Org that the DOD doesn't match base pay. I'm currently making $64,816 Base. The new position is offering GS12 Step-1 @ $63,600. Is save pay a policy in writing or is it just a courtesy?

So I found the excerpt below on the pointsixtyfive faq page.

-If entering the FAA from another federal position, your basic pay rate will transfer to the FAA, which will then have the applicable locality pay added to make the new base pay. The same applies leaving the FAA; base pay will transfer over to the closest GS step (rounded up) within the grade you are transferring to, then applicable locality/SSR rates will be added.

First sentence is correct, typo in the following. Basic pay transfers.
I think it depends on the agency. For example a DOD spot I put in for and ultimately turned down had their pay capped out at around 84k (GS10). I was cool because my base pay was 81.5k so i thought i'd transfer my base of 81.5k and of course then add their locality which would bring me up to the max of 84k. Not how it worked. They lowered my base to around 73k and THEN added 11k locality to max me out at 84k. I said yeah no thanks.

I think it depends on the agency. For example a DOD spot I put in for and ultimately turned down had their pay capped out at around 84k (GS10). I was cool because my base pay was 81.5k so i thought i'd transfer my base of 81.5k and of course then add their locality which would bring me up to the max of 84k. Not how it worked. They lowered my base to around 73k and THEN added 11k locality to max me out at 84k. I said yeah no thanks.
Base pay includes locality. Basic pay transfers, not base.

HR must be able to set pay in a number of different ways. When I left the FAA I assumed they'd take away locality and add ssr (as mentioned above), but they didn't. Instead, they matched my pay(with locality) to the closest GS step in the SSR table. I landed between 2 steps so they gave me the greater of the 2, resulting in a slight bump up in my favor. They considered this HPR (highest previous rate). It's on the OPM website along with examples if you're into some light reading.

They can also do a GS Equivalent position comparison, then add sir. They factor your current locality when they do this, then add SSR. This is huge. In other words FAA salary + 30%. This does happen up to step 10. Save pay wouldn't be a thing if you were above step 10. If it were an overseas job they can, and often do, permit Retained Pay, up to 140% above step 10.

It doesn't seem right to have the same agency apply 3, vastly, different pay setting processes, but the sure as shit do.

So what’s the consensus? If a DOD gig is GS-11 and you currently max out step 10 with your FAA pay, do you negotiate prior to obtaining your FOL to have your pay transferred to the GS-11s10?

So what’s the consensus? If a DOD gig is GS-11 and you currently max out step 10 with your FAA pay, do you negotiate prior to obtaining your FOL to have your pay transferred to the GS-11s10?
Your pay will be determined by HR and on the TOL/TJO. If you think it was done wrong(this happens) or want to know how they determined your pay just email HR. But there are several ways they could set your pay and it could be determined by an agency policy. In most cases you'll be a gs-11 step 10. They could consider this a voluntary downgrade, not likely, and offer you step 1. There really isn't likely to be a pay setting negotiation, unless you're not currently a federal employee.

All your other bennies will transfer, but may take a pay period or 2 to catch up. There could be a bit of ass pain right out of the gate: missing leave, military buy back, 5% ATC premium, wrong SSR scale, incorrect TSP info, retirement info, and on and one. these are common and fixable within a couple pp's. Print, save and copy your entire EOPF file as well as your last several LES's. These will come in useful and you'll not be able to access them for a while. Or ever again with regard to employee express.

you'll have an opportunity to sign up for new health, dental and vision. Some of the insurance's offered aren't the same in the DOD. Long term care and a few others, I don't remember which, but if memory serves they may have been through the union, which makes sense. Good luck.

If you are above the band, for example say above GS 12 step 10 you will be a step 00. Where I am at people are above the band but there is a cap. We have had people come from a center which is well above the band so they did take a pay cut but it is still 10-15k above the step 10 pay

If you are above the band, for example say above GS 12 step 10 you will be a step 00. Where I am at people are above the band but there is a cap. We have had people come from a center which is well above the band so they did take a pay cut but it is still 10-15k above the step 10 pay
Do you know the reg for the step 00?

I was capped at step 10 from above the band, and so has everyone else I personally know of, so saying you will is definitely false.

Everyone I “personally know” that was above step 10 is a 00. So sure take the “you will” I guess but I would definitely check into that before accepting a FOL. Just at my facility alone we have a former gs 13 that is a 12-00 and 3 former FAA controllers that are 12-00.

Everyone I “personally know” that was above step 10 is a 00. So sure take the “you will” I guess but I would definitely check into that before accepting a FOL. Just at my facility alone we have a former gs 13 that is a 12-00 and 3 former FAA controllers that are 12-00.
Haven’t even heard of step zero or seen it in gs pay charts. Sounds cool tho

Your pay will be determined and on the TOL/TJO. If you think it was done wrong(this happens) or want to know how they determined your pay just email HR. But there are several ways they could set your pay and it could be determined by an agency policy. In most cases you'll be a gs-11 step 10. They could consider this a voluntary downgrade, not likely, and offer you step 1. All that to say

All your other bennies will transfer, but may take a pay period or 2 to catch up. There could be a bit of ass pain right out of the gate: missing leave, military buy back, 5% ATC premium, wrong SSR scale, incorrect TSP info, retirement info, and on and one. these are common and fixable within a couple pp's. Print, save and copy your entire EOPF file as well as your last several LES's. These will come in useful and you'll not be able to access them for a while. Or ever again with regard to employee express.

you'll have an opportunity to sign up for new health, dental and vision. Some of the insurance's offered aren't the same in the DOD. Long term care and a few others, I don't remember which, but if memory serves they may have been through the union, which makes sense. Good luck.
Haven’t even heard of step zero or seen it in gs pay charts. Sounds cool tho
Step 00 is what happens when you have retained pay. I'm a 12 step 00, because I have return rights to the US with retained pay. So it's a thing. But they don't have to offer you that. In fact it's kinda rare. It only happens here because it's covered in the below dod instruction and applies to overseas locations. There are a number of ways they can set pay.

DOD INSTRUCTION 1400.25, VOLUME 536
DOD CIVILIAN PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM: GRADE AND PAY RETENTION

Step 00 is what happens when you have retained pay. I'm a 12 step 00, because I have return rights to the US with retained pay. So it's a thing. But they don't have to offer you that. In fact it's kinda rare. It only happens here because it's covered in the below dod instruction and applies to overseas locations. There are a number of ways they can set pay.

I'm going to have to save this for later! LOL i'm always bored in one place and am decently high on the gs 12 scale. Now I can look into GS10's/11's that have decent locations but i'd take another pay cut to move there. Gonna shotgun some applications out and tell HR give me that unicorn step 00! Gonna look into pay caps, thanks man!

I'm going to have to save this for later! LOL i'm always bored in one place and am decently high on the gs 12 scale. Now I can look into GS10's/11's that have decent locations but i'd take another pay cut to move there. Gonna shotgun some applications out and tell HR give me that unicorn step 00! Gonna look into pay caps, thanks man!
Google the DODI for details, but I believe the only way to step 00 is competitively selected for an overseas location or the government caused you to be downgraded, ie RIF or something like that. I could be wrong doh.

Does this mean you are a FAA who applied and was selected for a DOD OCONUS?

Does this mean you are a FAA who applied and was selected for a DOD OCONUS?
I was DOD and selected for a lower grade DOD OCONUS, but the same should apply to FAA selected DOD OCONUS. One caveat, being FAA and selected DOD OCONUS you wouldn't be given return rights back to your FAA job. You'd basically, be looking for a job after a few years overseas. They could throw you in the PPP pool, but they only have to find you a job matching the grade of the position you're in. If that happened you'd lose retained pay when you left the OCONUS position and be a GS 11 (or whatever the grade is) step 10. I believe the DODI I listed above mentions that-ish. Hope that is helpful.

I was DOD and selected for a lower grade DOD OCONUS, but the same should apply to FAA selected DOD OCONUS. One caveat, being FAA and selected DOD OCONUS you wouldn't be given return rights back to your FAA job. You'd basically, be looking for a job after a few years overseas. They could throw you in the PPP pool, but they only have to find you a job matching the grade of the position you're in. If that happened you'd lose retained pay when you left the OCONUS position and be a GS 11 (or whatever the grade is) step 10. I believe the DODI I listed above mentions that-ish. Hope that is helpful.
I was curious about how return rights would work. Seems like a pretty awful deal if you couldn't go back to your FAA billet.

I was curious about how return rights would work. Seems like a pretty awful deal if you couldn't go back to your FAA billet.
Not if you slid into a decent DOD location, pop over to Deustchland for 3-5 years then come back.

Back
Top Bottom