Scale of 1-10, how hard?

Rachelauren33

Lurker
Exactly how hard is En Route? With the wash out rate so high I have to assume very hard? Does having a degree from a CTI school help at all? I'm very nervous that i'm going to fail class.

It’s all relative, but the number one thing you need is confidence in yourself that you can pass. I have a bachelors degree in international studies, no background or family in aviation, and I passed top of my class. I hardly studied and, TO ME, it wasn’t that hard. But everyone is different and you need to figure out how your brain works and the right method of studying for YOU.

I didn’t think it was the horrifying end all be all of difficulty that some people made it out to be. As long as you do the work and study how they tell you, you should be fine if you’re a fit for the job.

That being said, if you’re already freaked out about failing, you might want to start finding some stress management techniques now lol.

If it comes natural to you a 1. If you can't multitask, have a bad short term memory and not calm under pressure a 10. If you are bad at everything I just said but study your ass off you and learn to be calm under pressure you still have a 7 shot at passing tho

I didn’t think it was the horrifying end all be all of difficulty that some people made it out to be. As long as you do the work and study how they tell you, you should be fine if you’re a fit for the job.

That being said, if you’re already freaked out about failing, you might want to start finding some stress management techniques now lol.
I hear whiskey helps.

The academy is probably a 4. It’s very procedural. You just have to apply to procedures at the right time and not get nervous. Tower on the other hand seems like some video game magic from what I’ve heard.

Dont hedge on CTI being the ticket to help you through, I wasnt en route but 9/18 of my terminal class washed. All of them CTI grads. Go in humble, learn everything, learn how to APPLY everything, be creative in the beginning and dont try new stuff at the end.

Even if it's daunting going to the academy, it is a job that's worth it. I left a great job with a 2k mortgage and a pregnant wife to try my hand at this. Nervous as hell, but I made it.

Last edited:
No personal information
This question gets asked every single bid and it’s just like what others have said, it all depends on you. Ask anyone who failed and they will tell you nerves got them. I had a roommate who failed who had 3 STL reroutes and put them on the wrong aircraft, why? Because he got nervous and just couldn’t perform under the pressure.

The evals are not designed to make you fail, don’t listen to what others say the evals are not there to purposefully fail you, they are there to test you on every single thing you have learned in enroute basics up to that point. They are designed to be difficult and they’re designed to put you to the test.

I personally look back at evals and think they weren’t as difficult as I had heard from other people, yes they made me nervous and having **** sit behind you basically breathing down your neck watching your every key stroke will make you want to curl up in the fetal position and die. But I made a 95 on that eval because I pushed through the nerves and did what my instructors taught me.

The academy is tough, it’s tough mentally, emotionally, and can be physically exhausting from all the studying and worrying you’ll do for 4 months. Is it impossible? No. Is it difficult? Yes. But there is no way to put an exact number on it because everyone is different. I missed the birth of my daughter while I was at the academy but I left with a job.

TL;DR everyone is different, you have to decide whether the risk and sacrifice is worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s all relative, but the number one thing you need is confidence in yourself that you can pass. I have a bachelors degree in international studies, no background or family in aviation, and I passed top of my class. I hardly studied and, TO ME, it wasn’t that hard. But everyone is different and you need to figure out how your brain works and the right method of studying for YOU.
Seriously you hardly studied? How in the world did you make that work

This question gets asked every single bid and it’s just like what others have said, it all depends on you. Ask anyone who failed and they will tell you nerves got them. I had a roommate who failed who had 3 STL reroutes and put them on the wrong aircraft, why? Because he got nervous and just couldn’t perform under the pressure.

The evals are not designed to make you fail, don’t listen to what others say the evals are not there to purposefully fail you, they are there to test you on every single thing you have learned in enroute basics up to that point. They are designed to be difficult and they’re designed to put you to the test.

I personally look back at evals and think they weren’t as difficult as I had heard from other people, yes they made me nervous and having **** sit behind you basically breathing down your neck watching your every key stroke will make you want to curl up in the fetal position and die. But I made a 95 on that eval because I pushed through the nerves and did what my instructors taught me.

The academy is tough, it’s tough mentally, emotionally, and can be physically exhausting from all the studying and worrying you’ll do for 4 months. Is it impossible? No. Is it difficult? Yes. But there is no way to put an exact number on it because everyone is different. I missed the birth of my daughter while I was at the academy but I left with a job.

TL;DR everyone is different, you have to decide whether the risk and sacrifice is worth it.
Bruh AS is like the easiest grader at the academy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I felt the same way, the ones who studied the most seemed to all fail in my class. I read through each binder once for the CKT's, everything is beat into your head in class if you just pay attention, after that I didn't touch any study material. Once you're in the lab you can either do it or you can't.

Honestly I felt the same way, the ones who studied the most seemed to all fail in my class. I read through each binder once for the CKT's, everything is beat into your head in class if you just pay attention, after that I didn't touch any study material. Once you're in the lab you can either do it or you can't.

I agree with this completely. I read through the binders only once or twice and made sure I knew the LOAs.

I agree with the person who said it comes naturally to some people, and luckily I was one of them. I had an easy time understanding the concepts and when to use them and I found a method of studying that stuck in my mind so I could cut down on study time.

Back
Top Bottom