Scale of 1-10, how hard?

Yeah that Blue Angel flight is so incredibly unrealistic

Also getting deducted points for having the previous sector move an ACFT because he has traffic in your sector and the evaluator making a judgement call that you could have waited until he was in your sector to tell the radar to fix it. Complete garbage.

never had any issues up at sqs, had him climb to 120 for the guy coming thru at 130, but that was in my second eval. my first eval all my stuff was down on v18 and east of mlu. the whole training program was a blast wish i could of done this every day for the next 20ish years.
yorkie

sadly no. i lost my dream job. new eval had 12 things that were happening at the same time; 8 being priorities, was a few seconds late getting them done. my class and instructors were extremely shocked that i did not make it, even the evaluators were shocked. at no point during the whole training did i think anything was hard. i had amazing instructors one of them had to resign due to medical problems and that was a big loss for our class. i had 31.69 of 34 points going into the first radar eval. i loved every second of being out there and would of loved to help my country every day and keep people safe, but i blew it. just happened that the one sim i messed up was the one that needed to not be messed up.

wish that instead of them just dumping you, you could get recycled or retrained on the part you messed up on. only thought 3 sims leading up to evals were busy at 12k, 12l, 12m; everything else went great. my first radar eval was the only thing i messed up on while out there...might as well of sat there blind folded.
yorkie

Your other option is to join the airforce or air national guard.

Your other option is to join the airforce or air national guard.

tried to do that after college, tried to go in as an officer. that was when they were down sizing 2013ish.
yorkie

Also getting deducted points for having the previous sector move an ACFT because he has traffic in your sector and the evaluator making a judgement call that you could have waited until he was in your sector to tell the radar to fix it. Complete garbage.

yes i agree that was part of my issue. most of the stuff that i had for that first eval was in that zone. do i get points taken off for having poke/mlu low do it for me or take care of it the moment they enter the airspace...felt like i was trapped no mater what i did :/
yorkie

This is the kind of stuff that has me overthinking. I don’t mind failing the academy if it’s something I’m just not fit for. If I’m struggling all along during training and the material just doesn’t make sense.

But I’ll be devastated if I don’t pass due to what some of these posts make it look like technicalities, where you were screwed up either way, or you get points deducted for something not in your control.

This is the kind of stuff that has me overthinking. I don’t mind failing the academy if it’s something I’m just not fit for. If I’m struggling all along during training and the material just doesn’t make sense.

But I’ll be devastated if I don’t pass due to what some of these posts make it look like technicalities, where you were screwed up either way, or you get points deducted for something not in your control.
You won’t fail for technicalities. What happens is some people can’t track everything that is needing to happen. But each task in itself is very simple. Mostly people say some of the stuff is cray is because you would never do some of these things in a real center.

Don’t overthink. Just go in and do it. Overthinking, overstressing, over worrying... those are all factors that in the end that have ruined the chances of people I knew in my class that could’ve definitely made it. I know quite a few people that happened to. Unfortunately its not about how well you’ve done for the last few months. It only matters how you perform the last few days. It’s just the nature of the game...

Set yourself up throughout the whole process, get every point you can before final evals. You can go into the final days with enough points to theoretically fail each eval and still get enough points to pass.

Set yourself up throughout the whole process, get every point you can before final evals. You can go into the final days with enough points to theoretically fail each eval and still get enough points to pass.
Seeing this echoed as often as it has been here is pretty calming. Starting Academy on the 31st and it's easy to sweat pass rates, but really looking at the point breakdowns and focusing on this idea helps. When I played with the numbers and saw that if you get every point possible before evals, you only need 36 points between the three to get to 70 overall it took some of the "evals are all that matters" stress off.

Seeing this echoed as often as it has been here is pretty calming. Starting Academy on the 31st and it's easy to sweat pass rates, but really looking at the point breakdowns and focusing on this idea helps. When I played with the numbers and saw that if you get every point possible before evals, you only need 36 points between the three to get to 70 overall it took some of the "evals are all that matters" stress off.
Please update us after you take your evals and let us know if you still feel the same way

Exactly. Take every point seriously. They’ll tell you exactly what you need to do for each test. The people in my class that were borderline near the end made their lives more difficult because they gave up little points at the beginning.

Get the basic phraseology down first so you can focus on looking for conflicts and the traps.

its not hard to lose 30+ points in radar because of one error. one error can get you counted off for multiple things.
yorkie
At that point, you shouldn’t be making multiple A1 errors all in one clearance. Violating airspace, screwing up departure clearances, not seeing holding traffic, etc. All can’t happen if you want to pass.

That being said, one of my good friends in my class did have 3 A1’s in one eval, but still did well in his other two and passed.

Yah but 14 of those 36 points come from non radar evals which are harder than radar evals. So all in all 80 of your points come from radar evals. I had 31 going into radar evals. I got an 80 and an 88 on non radar.

Yah but 14 of those 36 points come from non radar evals which are harder than radar evals. So all in all 80 of your points come from radar evals. I had 31 going into radar evals. I got an 80 and an 88 on non radar.

i got an 83 on my first because i said 8 and not 18 nw jan for a ble departure. should of had a damn 93 smh. but ended up with an 83 and a 100.
yorkie

Back
Top Bottom