Security Clearance Information

I got a DUI the day I graduated college February 2013. Seems like it's hit or miss with the clearance? Would hate to miss my shot at this for something dumb 5 years ago. No other criminal blemishes and I'm a senior financial analyst, think i'll be okay?

DUI's have more of an impact on your ability to get a medical clearance than security. Not saying it wont have an impact on your security screening but you will more than likely have to jump through some extra hoops to get your medical. A guy from my academy class got a DUI after he got his TOL and they still cleared him but it added an extra year to his process while he got his medical sorted out.

that's great to hear. This is nearly 5 years old so hopefully i'll get a little lenience. I don't mind the additional wait given my current situation anyway.

I got a DUI the day I graduated college February 2013. Seems like it's hit or miss with the clearance? Would hate to miss my shot at this for something dumb 5 years ago. No other criminal blemishes and I'm a senior financial analyst, think i'll be okay?

Essentially what they are looking for during the investigation is anything that can be used against you for things like blackmail. The best thing to do is be upfront and honest with anything that there is evidence of or can be easily discovered about you. They don't tend to like massive amounts of debt that aren't being paid on or extensive history with drugs, other than recent issues with the law you should be fine. Like I said, be open about stuff that you feel may be an issue and you shouldn't have any issues. Feel free to message me if you would like, I've been through a couple clearance investigations.

Essentially what they are looking for during the investigation is anything that can be used against you for things like blackmail. The best thing to do is be upfront and honest with anything that there is evidence of or can be easily discovered about you. They don't tend to like massive amounts of debt that aren't being paid on or extensive history with drugs, other than recent issues with the law you should be fine. Like I said, be open about stuff that you feel may be an issue and you shouldn't have any issues. Feel free to message me if you would like, I've been through a couple clearance investigations.
Stealthchain, I have around 6000 outstanding debt from student loans that are currently being paid with my tax returns, these should clear off this year I just do not make enough money at my current or past jobs to pay on these and support my family. What would you recommend working on in the meantime in order to show effort and making sure I can clear financial? If you dont mind me sending you a PM later, I would appreciate the advisement.
Thanks in advance!

Stealthchain, I have around 6000 outstanding debt from student loans that are currently being paid with my tax returns, these should clear off this year I just do not make enough money at my current or past jobs to pay on these and support my family. What would you recommend working on in the meantime in order to show effort and making sure I can clear financial? If you dont mind me sending you a PM later, I would appreciate the advisement.
Thanks in advance!
Are they garnishing your tax return or are you just planning to pay a chunk of it with your return on your own? If they are garnishing it then provide that documentation. I understand not being able to afford to pay on it right now but if I were you I would at least send $5/month. Send a check and when they cash it you can get a copy of the processed check from your bank and submit that. It's not much toward what you owe but it is showing the FAA you are making an attempt to pay your debt. I did the same thing and received my conditional clearance.

Are they garnishing your tax return or are you just planning to pay a chunk of it with your return on your own? If they are garnishing it then provide that documentation. I understand not being able to afford to pay on it right now but if I were you I would at least send $5/month. Send a check and when they cash it you can get a copy of the processed check from your bank and submit that. It's not much toward what you owe but it is showing the FAA you are making an attempt to pay your debt. I did the same thing and received my conditional clearance.
Thank you JBabs, they are already taking it even though I planned on throwing the whole thing at it. I am going to get ahold of the creditors and set up a 5 dollar payment plan.
Thank you!

So my one potential concern out of all of this is I was at a prior job for about 3 months but was not brought on after the probationary period because they said "I wasn't reliable enough". I had a final exam time rescheduled which caused me to miss a day then I got food poisoning a few days later and apparently those two things made me unreliable. Every other job I've had I can have people vouch that I am 100% reliable so it shouldn't be too much of a snag right? Just be honest about it up front and answer any questions?

So my one potential concern out of all of this is I was at a prior job for about 3 months but was not brought on after the probationary period because they said "I wasn't reliable enough". I had a final exam time rescheduled which caused me to miss a day then I got food poisoning a few days later and apparently those two things made me unreliable. Every other job I've had I can have people vouch that I am 100% reliable so it shouldn't be too much of a snag right? Just be honest about it up front and answer any questions?
Don't lose sleep over it... Your background investigator has seen anything and everything... Losing a job is water under the bridge... Especially if you have an apparent plethora of other solid work history... Only advice I'll give, be it work history, finances, criminal etc is be straight up about stuff... They don't care you got fired or what not... If you try to cover it up that's when it might get ugly...

Thanks in advance!
As Jbabs stated, the best thing you can do is call whoever you owe the money to and set up whatever kind of payment plan you are able to. When you do this make sure to have them send you a letter or some kind of official confirmation that you have set this up. It's not necessarily guaranteed that this will prohibit you from getting the clearance or even being brought up, but it is better to be safe than sorry and have the problem solved before it comes up. Since you stated that your taxes are already being garnished there is a chance that the issue will already be gone before the investigation begins (depending on when you file taxes) given the past timelines for some people.

I doubt that this would even come up. They are security clearance investigators, they don't work for the FAA as I'm pretty sure most federal agencies use the Office of Personnel Management for their investigations. So typically they aren't interested in past job terminations unless it was a result of legal action which would come up in your legal record, not from a resume. Also, any questions you answer should always match what you have previously said. If you made a mistake answering a question about, let's say drug use, and it comes up later just make sure to do your best in explaining that you may have forgotten because it was so long ago. That's just an example, but they can be understanding as long as it is not a trend of "forgetting" about things.

Man I’ve had a couple small store credit cards no higher than 500 get charged off. Hope that won’t be too big of a deal as they’ve been paid but I do have one outstanding credit card collection for $800. I’ll pay it- the others have been paid I just hope it doesn’t ruin everything just because it’s there...

Man I’ve had a couple small store credit cards no higher than 500 get charged off. Hope that won’t be too big of a deal as they’ve been paid but I do have one outstanding credit card collection for $800. I’ll pay it- the others have been paid I just hope it doesn’t ruin everything just because it’s there...
I wouldn't worry. When I say debt I mean massive debt, like something that would be worth worrying about blackmail. Just start paying on your card and you'll be fine. Don't think too much into it.

I'm trying to get ahead and start gathering the information for this SF-86. I'm at section 20c-Foreign Travel and am having a bit of trouble deciding whether or not I need to fill it out. It reads as follows:

Complete the following if you responded 'Yes' to having traveled outside the U.S. in the last seven (7) years for other than solely U.S. Government business. Provide information about all such trips made outside the United States including personal trips made in conjunction with official U.S. Government business.

The issue I'm facing is that I was stationed in Germany for a couple years while in the military. I traveled almost every weekend and to more countries than this form can hold. I also have no idea what dates I went where, for how long, etc... Was curious as to how any other service members stationed abroad answered these questions.

I'm trying to get ahead and start gathering the information for this SF-86. I'm at section 20c-Foreign Travel and am having a bit of trouble deciding whether or not I need to fill it out. It reads as follows:

Complete the following if you responded 'Yes' to having traveled outside the U.S. in the last seven (7) years for other than solely U.S. Government business. Provide information about all such trips made outside the United States including personal trips made in conjunction with official U.S. Government business.

The issue I'm facing is that I was stationed in Germany for a couple years while in the military. I traveled almost every weekend and to more countries than this form can hold. I also have no idea what dates I went where, for how long, etc... Was curious as to how any other service members stationed abroad answered these questions.
Would probably be a good question for your security contact.

Every section has a box for any additional information you want to write. I’d put what you just wrote there.

Probably starting to over analyze here, but do we know what percent of people that receive a CIL ending up getting an FOL? Wondering how much weeding out is done at the CIL stage.

Probably starting to over analyze here, but do we know what percent of people that receive a CIL ending up getting an FOL? Wondering how much weeding out is done at the CIL stage.
There are really three things that can stop a normal person from CIL to FOL. Again, words like always and never are things you can rarely say in the FAA, but the majority of people who failed the background check fall into one of three categories.
1) A large amount of delinquent debt. Debt is absolutely fine as long as you're keeping up with it. If it's in collections, that's a whole different story.
2) Arrests for Drug/Alcohol in the past. Again, not all are a death sentence, it's a case by case basis.
3) Ongoing health conditions that would effect your ability to control air traffic.

The majority of people have no issue getting through the CIL process.

I'll be an interesting test subject i will report back either way. No debt tons of savings and lucrative career lots of money in the bank. 29 years old i'm a senior financial analyst. DUI on record. Diagnosed with depression 2 years ago during a breakup. Spent time bouncing group home to group home growing up and i don't know how that factors into things. The whole process is fascinating and i must admit i'm hoping for this more than i should, i know this is the part where I may not make it. If i can get to the academy i won't mess it up.

Last edited:
cant say im looking forward to it, none of my debt is in collections but i have tens of thousands of federal loans for a college i dropped out of half a decade ago. its been in deferment the whole time so i've never paid a penny towards it

cant say im looking forward to it, none of my debt is in collections but i have tens of thousands of federal loans for a college i dropped out of half a decade ago. its been in deferment the whole time so i've never paid a penny towards it
how'd you get it deferred that long without still being in school?

Back
Top Bottom