Security Clearance Information

The questions asks on the sf86 "Have you EVER been ordered, advised, or asked to seek counseling or treatment as a result of your illegal use of drugs or controlled substances?" So now I need to explain why I was in that situation and that I was in teen court for poss of marijuana. It was a long time ago I wish the question stated "in the past 8 years". The "charge"was dismissed/dropped after I completed the stewart marchman program. But I guess I still need to answer yes to that question and explain myself. Never listed it on any other jobs that have ran background checks but i know these are different circumstances. Thanks for the help.

Things before you’re 18 honestly shouldn’t be on your record at all...

Blue skies I am in the same exact position as you... I just called the program to ask if they have records of when I attended there but they destroy their records after 7 years.. I am still going to be completely honest . I don’t see it hurting me much, Hell I was 15 and I’ve never been in trouble since.

So, concerning the section for your work history... Who else is feeling like they can't remember the dates of your former employers at all? I can get the years down pat, but the months are proving to be difficult for some of my older, crappy jobs. And I honestly can't remember a few of my supervisors names. Any ideas what to do there? One of my places went through 10+ managers while I was there, so none of their names really stuck.

Don't lose sleep over it... Your background investigator has seen anything and everything... Losing a job is water under the bridge... Especially if you have an apparent plethora of other solid work history... Only advice I'll give, be it work history, finances, criminal etc is be straight up about stuff... They don't care you got fired or what not... If you try to cover it up that's when it might get ugly...

For others reading this, I called my security POC today and she informed me I'm being denied a conditional clearance for this exact reason. I was let go from a job over a year ago, nothing crazy. Very discouraging :(

For others reading this, I called my security POC today and she informed me I'm being denied a conditional clearance for this exact reason. I was let go from a job over a year ago, nothing crazy. Very discouraging :(

Not a big deal honestly. You'll just have to wait for the full clearance, don't worry.

I had same issue. I had an in person interview, nothing to hide, I start terminal Basics next Thursday. You'll get cleared don't worry. Just a formality.

Being denied a conditional clearance doesn't mean you're denied all together. It just means they want to talk to you in person to get clarification on it. Happens more often than you would think.

Thanks guys, feeling a little better after your comments. I have a long solid history of progressive employment... hope that satisfies that portion.

What did everyone do about the security personnel contacting your current place of employment? I've held the same job for 11 years and my employer does not know (and will not be happy) to know I am applying to another position. I already have had some hiccups in my security check that I've had to write a letter about, so I am concerned that I am going to tell my employer and then not get my security clearance anyway, putting me in a very bad position professionally.

What did everyone do about the security personnel contacting your current place of employment? I've held the same job for 11 years and my employer does not know (and will not be happy) to know I am applying to another position. I already have had some hiccups in my security check that I've had to write a letter about, so I am concerned that I am going to tell my employer and then not get my security clearance anyway, putting me in a very bad position professionally.
Just gotta tell them it’s not personal it’s a career choice and the best option for you and your family. Some bosses understand and say they would do the same and others act like assholes and take it personal. To be honest if your boss takes it personal then that isn’t a good environment to further your career anyway. However my employer has not been contacted yet but I told them after I got my TOL they might be contacted. I was cleared yesterday.

Just gotta tell them it’s not personal it’s a career choice and the best option for you and your family. Some bosses understand and say they would do the same and others act like assholes and take it personal. To be honest if your boss takes it personal then that isn’t a good environment to further your career anyway. However my employer has not been contacted yet but I told them after I got my TOL they might be contacted. I was cleared yesterday.

There was one guy I saw who got fired when his boss found out.... So there's that.

Take this with a grain of salt but i've been doing a ton of reading on this in the past 24 hours, and i don't remember if it was a post somewhere or deep in that 157 page hiring procedures document i found, but that's not a mandatory step of the security process. Part of the process is terminating the investigation immediately when material unfavorable information has been found. It said the employer is only contacted if you've only satisfied other pre-requisite items that would indicate you're likely to fully pass the investigation. FWIW, my employer has not been contacted yet and it'll be 30 days this friday since E-QIP. I am in the same boat, it would materially impact my future career if I don't get cleared and they find out i'm looking outside the company.

I'll update if and when my employer hears from them for sure. I'm not going through that whole hiring procedure again but i'm relatively positive it was from that. It's one of the last steps of the security investigation from what i read.

Again, take this with a grain of salt i've been reading up on this stuff in my spare time, i'm speculating on security procedural steps for a government clearance. Just a civilian in finance who likes to read.

Called my security rep today and turns out my conditional clearance was denied. I also had to respond to a letter of inquiry regarding a couple things in my background. She said that OPM will have to do their investigation and to try calling back in May or June. So much for an anticipated May-June academy date...

Additionally, sounds like everyone has delicate relationships with their employers, I told my boss that I had already applied to the FAA when i got hired into my company in September, and about the ATSA. I didn't say anything more until I told my boss and my manager again a couple days after I got my CIL and they were both happy for me and supported me pursuing my goals. I know that me leaving would put them in a difficult spot because I carry a large workload and we are a small company, but I told them that the process will continue to take time and business will continue as usual until I get my FOL. Now I know ill be there until July or August haha

Thanks for the advice. I called my security rep and she told me that I was cleared back to HR, but still may need to do a security interview at some point after the academy, and that I needed to speak with my HR POC for anything additional. My HR rep told me that they are just waiting for the medical to come back, so I guess I may already be conditionally cleared? They aren't willing to share much information with me and I was sent to a new HR POC.

My thoughts are I'm just going to wait and see what happens. I'll speak with my employer either after I get FOL or if he mentions that he received something from the FAA. I honestly don't know if I'd be fired, but they certainly wouldn't be happy. I have a lot of responsibility currently and it won't be easy to train someone to replace me, but at the same time I can't jeopardize my position by letting them know too early.

Thanks for the advice. I called my security rep and she told me that I was cleared back to HR, but still may need to do a security interview at some point after the academy, and that I needed to speak with my HR POC for anything additional. My HR rep told me that they are just waiting for the medical to come back, so I guess I may already be conditionally cleared? They aren't willing to share much information with me and I was sent to a new HR POC.

My thoughts are I'm just going to wait and see what happens. I'll speak with my employer either after I get FOL or if he mentions that he received something from the FAA. I honestly don't know if I'd be fired, but they certainly wouldn't be happy. I have a lot of responsibility currently and it won't be easy to train someone to replace me, but at the same time I can't jeopardize my position by letting them know too early.
It looks like you are clear for security. I wouldn't say anything until you put in your 2 weeks!

First off, I submitted my equip on 2/23/2018, and my security POC received my mail prints and forms on 2/27/2018. With that being said, I'm still waiting on my conditional clearance. I got in contact with my security POC a couple days ago, and she informed me that I submitted all the information that is needed. All I need to do is sit tight, and wait for my file to finish pending because she is unable to provide me with anymore information. I say all of that to ask, why so long? After reading several forums, majority of the candidates was granted their conditional clearance in two weeks to be semi exact. I am only 22 years of age and no bad history in the pass. Am I the only one in this precarious position?

First off, I submitted my equip on 2/23/2018, and my security POC received my mail prints and forms on 2/27/2018. With that being said, I'm still waiting on my conditional clearance. I got in contact with my security POC a couple days ago, and she informed me that I submitted all the information that is needed. All I need to do is sit tight, and wait for my file to finish pending because she is unable to provide me with anymore information. I say all of that to ask, why so long? After reading several forums, majority of the candidates was granted their conditional clearance in two weeks to be semi exact. I am only 22 years of age and no bad history in the pass. Am I the only one in this precarious position?

Average time for people has been 1-2 months. You’re exactly in that timeframe. All you can do is wait like your POC said. “So long” is a little exaggerated when they’re talking about clearing someone to control air traffic.. Just take a breath. I’m sure your call is right around the corner pending any clarifications.

You're sitting at about a month and a half right now. While this is still a low level clearance it takes time to look into people and their history. There aren't a ton of personnel that deal with granting clearances and they have plenty of other people they have to handle along with you. I waited close to a year for a higher level clearance.

I submitted my security clearance information and I wrote down about 2 credit cards that i had thought I had paid off a long time ago and got contacted by a collecting agency about and I paid them off over a year ago? Do you think I’ll get questioned about that type of stuff and I know my credit score is only like 620 so was also wondering what they do about the credit release info.

Back
Top Bottom