Security Clearance Information

Does anyone know if having a current public trust clearance will be any advantage for the current OTC bid?
It depends on where you have the clearance from. All USAF controllers have clearances and had to re-do theirs to get in the FAA. If they reciprocate the clearance it’ll only help expedite that portion of your hiring process IF you get hired. They don’t look/ask if you have a clearance during the application process.

How long does the "full investigation" take? My security POC told me that I was undergoing a full investigation that began in April when i contacted her in May. It's august now and i haven't heard a word...

How long does the "full investigation" take? My security POC told me that I was undergoing a full investigation that began in April when i contacted her in May. It's august now and i haven't heard a word...
A full investigation can take a year. You'll be waiting awhile if you didn't get a conditional clearance.

You have to provide the name of someone who knows you've lived at your address for the last 3 years. Can it be someone who has knowledge or someone who knows you well? I don't want to waste a friend that knows me well in this section if I only need the name of someone who has knowledge.

I found out the answer. The person that has knowledge of you living at your address for the last 3 years does not have to know you well, only vouch for you living there.

Last edited:

I submitted my eqip in February 2017 and I am just getting my interview this week.

Investigator called me today to set up an interview.... in Virginia. Sorry bud, the FAA has whisked me away to Louisiana! Don't these people talk to one another?

Anyway, he's going to forward it to someone down this direction.

Still haven't heard a word. Was informed the full investigation began 4/2. Any kind of feedback would really helpful for me at this point.

Kind of pet peeve of mine, this is the official instruction from the nd1600-1E (declassified 2005 version, so granted may be outdated). Page 83, part d, point 5, says: As the PSS, you must adjudicate cases promptly in the interests of national security, the FAA, and the person involved. Return OPM Form INV 79A, Report of Agency Adjudicative Action on OPM Personnel Investigations, which accompanies the completed OPM reports, within 90 days from the date of receipt of the material or upon final adjudicative action, when instructed to do so.

I bolded the words for emphasis, but clearly, unless the process has changed, this is not a "hard and fast rule".

Still haven't heard a word. Was informed the full investigation began 4/2. Any kind of feedback would really helpful for me at this point.

Kind of pet peeve of mine, this is the official instruction from the nd1600-1E (declassified 2005 version, so granted may be outdated). Page 83, part d, point 5, says: As the PSS, you must adjudicate cases promptly in the interests of national security, the FAA, and the person involved. Return OPM Form INV 79A, Report of Agency Adjudicative Action on OPM Personnel Investigations, which accompanies the completed OPM reports, within 90 days from the date of receipt of the material or upon final adjudicative action, when instructed to do so.

I bolded the words for emphasis, but clearly, unless the process has changed, this is not a "hard and fast rule".

Clearly things have changed. I’m going on month 12 since I’ve turned my eqip in and month 10 since the full investigation has began

I had to wait a year for my secret clearance in the navy back in 2013 - 2014, sitting at air traffic control schooling waiting for what felt like forever. So when they told me that I was waiting for a full investigation last April, I accepted that it'll be another year again

Last edited:
I had to wait a year for my secret clearance in the navy back in 2013 - 2014, sitting at air traffic control schooling waiting felt like forever. So when they told me that I was waiting for a full investigation last April, I accepted that it'll be another year again
Interesting. My secret clearance was done before I finished boot camp.

Interesting. My secret clearance was done before I finished boot camp.
I had some issues that I definitely was slacking on back then.
This time around it was a clerical issue from the state that I had no knowledge of until I heard back after I submitted my CIL. So now I am waiting again, for something that was out of my hands. Hurry up and wait as usual. It is what it is. At least I'm a civilian living my life and not a student waiting at a training command while I wait.

Just had my interview. Everything was fine except apparently a former employer claims they fired me when I most certainly walked in and resigned... Is this an issue of any sort?

Just had my interview. Everything was fine except apparently a former employer claims they fired me when I most certainly walked in and resigned... Is this an issue of any sort?
No, same thing happened to me. I'm in the agency. They actually laid me off for someone that was bilingual and gave me a severance package but said they fired me.

Nice... yeah, investigator asks why I left the job, told her that it just wasn't for me and didn't have the personality for it (car sales!). "Well here it says they let you go for not meeting sales goals!" News to me. I walked in and told ol' guy I was going to find a different line of work.

Back
Top Bottom