Shoot The Breeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't they basically saying that ATC is gender-biased?
Uh... yes? Are you trying to make this some big "gotcha!" on NATCA? ATC does skew male, the union is trying to make a point of that and is trying to highlight women across the NAS.

I don't think anyone is saying in so many words that training failures or certification rates are biased for or against women. It would be neat to see what the ratio is coming into the agency and going out as CPCs.

Mom just found all my NES/SNES stuff woot! Fired up the N64 not too long ago and was thinking about those 2.

Trying to talk myself off a ledge buying a modded GBA.

That's odd, I was told there was no crisis at the border.
I mean it’s not any different than other times at the border. Are you mad he wants to take care of the kids instead of just having them sit in cages and be kidnapped from their parents?

People still holding out hope for ERR's? Hardship or bust fools
A few years ago an allergen test revealed I react to 63/64 (or something to that effect) allergens. I also have (documented with FAA) allergen triggered asthma.
Will this get me to SeaTac?
Was considering putting in ERR paperwork and then waiting 19 years until I'm 55, but maybe hardship route would be better?

I mean it’s not any different than other times at the border. Are you mad he wants to take care of the kids instead of just having them sit in cages and be kidnapped from their parents?
Hahahahahahaha! The cages that Obama built and that are still being used to this day by Biden? Stop with the hypocrisy man. He is to senile to care about kids.

Uh... yes? Are you trying to make this some big "gotcha!" on NATCA? ATC does skew male, the union is trying to make a point of that and is trying to highlight women across the NAS.

I don't think anyone is saying in so many words that training failures or certification rates are biased for or against women. It would be neat to see what the ratio is coming into the agency and going out as CPCs.
It seems like NATCA is saying that having such a male-dominated workforce is a problem and not an outcome. They have all these people raising their hands suggesting there is a hiring bias based on gender in our field, and not based on results. I would understand if the same amount of males/females applied for the job and 80+% of accepted people were males. That's a different story. Again they are bringing awareness to the issue so maybe I'm totally wrong but there is a massive difference between inequality when it comes to something out of one's control and inequality when it talks about hiring pools

It seems like NATCA is saying that having such a male-dominated workforce is a problem and not an outcome. They have all these people raising their hands suggesting there is a hiring bias based on gender in our field, and not based on results. I would understand if the same amount of males/females applied for the job and 80+% of accepted people were males. That's a different story. Again they are bringing awareness to the issue so maybe I'm totally wrong but there is a massive difference between inequality when it comes to something out of one's control and inequality when it talks about hiring pools
Gotcha. Totally agree that a lot of this conversation is irrelevant if we don't look at the input numbers as well as the output numbers. I really would be interested in seeing that comparison.

But even so, I would probably argue that a large gender inequality is ipso facto a "problem" in just about any industry, whether that's a result of unfair hiring practices or a larger societal expectation bias. In other words, if it turns out the applicant pool is just as lopsided as the CPC pool, why is that? and how can we encourage more women to apply? It isn't like lumberjacking or ditch-digging where you might expect men to have an inherent advantage due to their physical body structure. We sit in chairs and push buttons all day.

Mom just found all my NES/SNES stuff woot! Fired up the N64 not too long ago and was thinking about those 2.

Trying to talk myself off a ledge buying a modded GBA.
Build your own pi computer 400 goes a long way, a whole station

There was a cough unnamed center that good t it's first woman controller in the 90's

I think a majority of the bigotry is naturally aging out but there was real racism and real sexism (and still is) and it's been like acceptable. Hearing oh she's just like one of the guys is probably the most common one

A few years ago an allergen test revealed I react to 63/64 (or something to that effect) allergens. I also have (documented with FAA) allergen triggered asthma.
Will this get me to SeaTac?
Was considering putting in ERR paperwork and then waiting 19 years until I'm 55, but maybe hardship route would be better?
Yes, it will if your err gets approved and SeaTac's staffing is such that there's a vacancy

Per Webster's Dictionary:
Inequality:
1: the quality of being unequal or uneven: such as
a: social disparity
b: disparity of distribution or opportunity
c: lack of evenness
d: the condition of being variable : CHANGEABLENESS
2: an instance of being unequal
3: a formal statement of inequality between two quantities usually separated by a sign of inequality (such as <, >, or ≠ signifying respectively is less than, is greater than, or is not equal to)

So the fact that there are more men than women in the field is literally what the definition of inequality is. It's literally unequal. Now is there hiring biased today against women? Doubtful. But you can't convince me there wasn't some extreme biases towards non-white men that tried to join the FAA back in the PATCO days and earlier.

Also, it's amusing that people get so upset when people are recognized for Women's History Month or Black History Month or whatever.

Got word that people at my wife's facility who are fully vaccinated will likely qualify for a waiver to come back, despite high case rates. Unfortunately, it came with a caveat that if your currency lapsed through all this, you probably won't actually be allowed back yet. We're still thinking it sounds like she's gonna be home until all the new people are brought in. Now that travel is back on the menu, it's a lot easier to tolerate the fuckery.

Last edited:
Got word that people at my wife's facility who are fully vaccinated will likely qualify for a waiver to come back, despite high case rates. Unfortunately, it came with a caveat that if your currency lapsed through all this, you probably won't actually be allowed back yet. We're still thinking it sounds like she's gonna be home until all the new people are brought in. Now that travel is back on the menu, it's a lot easier to tolerate the fuckery.
I can't wait to get my waiver! I've been hoping to return to work since vacation started last March. Any idea on what I need to get the flight surgeon? I sure hope I don't lose this vaccine paper in the meantime...oops I thought it was right here?
-Sent from A Beach in Tahiti via TapTalk using iPhone10

Like what did they say to make this possible?

Like what did they say to make this possible?
The email said they had something in the works re: vaccination, involving a two week wait? Didn't seem fully fleshed out, but the next sentence made it pretty clear that it wasn't going to matter to folks in her situation anyhow. She's still going to send in the documentation, but we aren't particularly hopeful.

I think we’re only a few weeks away from waivers not even mattering, vaccinated or not. By May/June, traffic is going to be pretty close to pre-covid. I know AAL plans on 100% pre-covid schedule for May. Once traffic is back, everyone’s back to a BWS, the old fucks who’ve been hanging on to this schedule this last year eligible, finally retire. Resulting- the FAA finally frantically bring everyone outside the building back and “everyday is a training day” resumes.

I think we’re only a few weeks away from waivers not even mattering, vaccinated or not. By May/June, traffic is going to be pretty close to pre-covid. I know AAL plans on 100% pre-covid schedule for May. Once traffic is back, everyone’s back to a BWS, the old fucks who’ve been hanging on to this schedule this last year eligible, finally retire. Resulting- the FAA finally frantically bring everyone outside the building back and “everyday is a training day” resumes.
The faa in 4 months. Who could have seen this coming.

I can’t fucking wait to see these old fucks walk out. I watched one the other day not use speed control and just told the pilot to comply with the FAR below 10,000. I just can’t. End result was him being vectored around for another approach because he “didn’t slow down”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom