Should I contact the facility?

Kilo_Bravo

So I’m military prior experience bid, just finished my CIL 20 days ago and I’m waiting on a list. I’ve got a tower I would love to go. It looks like with my experience I would fit in and according to 123atc they look understaffed.
Would it be helpful or hurtful to reach out to someone at that facility and let them know they would be my first pick on a list?
Can they actually have any impact on what I receive on a list?
If I should contact them, what person should I contact? A hiring manager?

So I’m military prior experience bid, just finished my CIL 20 days ago and I’m waiting on a list. I’ve got a tower I would love to go. It looks like with my experience I would fit in and according to 123atc they look understaffed.
Would it be helpful or hurtful to reach out to someone at that facility and let them know they would be my first pick on a list?
Just because a tower has openings doesn't mean anything, ATO will give you a list based off experience and what they need ? sucks because I had dream towers as well with openings (exp bid) and none of them were on my list

Idk. I know someone where the facility was understaffed and a controller knew this guy (whose trying to go FAA) because they worked in the military prior together and he was from the area. Somehow the ATM was able to get the FAA to offer this guy this specific facility only. And now he’s back home controlling with the FAA. Nothing is impossible and it can’t hurt to at least introduce yourself.

Idk. I know someone where the facility was understaffed and a controller knew this guy (whose trying to go FAA) because they worked in the military prior together and he was from the area. Somehow the ATM was able to get the FAA to offer this guy this specific facility only. And now he’s back home controlling with the FAA. Nothing is impossible and it can’t hurt to at least introduce yourself.
A good friend of mine also did this and ended up at his dream facility. It’s tough to do but possible.

What's the tower and what's your experience? I'm curious how closely it does actually line up.

I’m going to be realistic, so don’t confuse this with pessimism.

You’re going to most likely get a list of facilities you’ve never heard of before. Your list most likely will not consist of the tower you want to go to. There’s no such thing as a hiring manager. Please don’t waste your time and call.

Now, on the other hand…I wanted to come to NC. I separated in NC and actually like living here. GSO was never on my mind, but it was on the list. Somehow I lucked out and got to come to NC. I’m happy I’m in the state I wanted.

I would rank your facilities in places you would like to live first. I would also look at the the PPT in this forum. Look at their training success, the time it takes to CPC, etc. If you want to get out of your first facility quicker than normal, take these factors into account. A facility with these numbers—rotating controllers in and out like a revolving door—is the way to go if you wanna get back to this ideal tower you have in mind. Not guaranteeing you’d get there ASAP, but you’d be able to file ERR paperwork to transfer more quickly than say if you went to an N90 or something.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

I’m going to be realistic, so don’t confuse this with pessimism.

You’re going to most likely get a list of facilities you’ve never heard of before. Your list most likely will not consist of the tower you want to go to. There’s no such thing as a hiring manager. Please don’t waste your time and call.

Now, on the other hand…I wanted to come to NC. I separated in NC and actually like living here. GSO was never on my mind, but it was on the list. Somehow I lucked out and got to come to NC. I’m happy I’m in the state I wanted.

I would rank your facilities in places you would like to live first. I would also look at the the PPT in this forum. Look at their training success, the time it takes to CPC, etc. If you want to get out of your first facility quicker than normal, take these factors into account. A facility with these numbers—rotating controllers in and out like a revolving door—is the way to go if you wanna get back to this ideal tower you have in mind. Not guaranteeing you’d get there ASAP, but you’d be able to file ERR paperwork to transfer more quickly than say if you went to an N90 or something.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Awesome advice. Thank you.

What's the tower and what's your experience? I'm curious how closely it does actually line up.
APA for it's location and the traffic volume.

Prior expierence is:
NTU CTO
Navy Ship CATCC Sup (I hear means nothing)
NHK CTO&APP

APA for it's location and the traffic volume.

Prior expierence is:
NTU CTO
Navy Ship CATCC Sup (I hear means nothing)
NHK CTO&APP
Your prior experience to your first FAA facility means nothing. No one cares what you did prior. And for the love of all that is holy, please do not ever say “well, I did it this way at XXX tower when I was in the Navy…”

Your prior experience to your first FAA facility means nothing. No one cares what you did prior. And for the love of all that is holy, please do not ever say “well, I did it this way at XXX tower when I was in the Navy…”
Yup, question was asked so I answered. That's the only reason I posted it.
I fully expect to re-learn a majority of what I was taught in the Navy and I would never have my nose high enough in the air to say that.
I did think that your prior experience depicted what would or wouldn't show on your first list. Is that not true?

Yup, question was asked so I answered. That's the only reason I posted it.
I fully expect to re-learn a majority of what I was taught in the Navy and I would never have my nose high enough in the air to say that.
I did think that your prior experience depicted what would or wouldn't show on your first list. Is that not true?
In theory yes, but the reality is that many people with identical quals have gotten vastly different lists. There’s also been examples of tower only people going to a TRACON and approach only getting tower lists. Honestly feels like HR just has a priority list each week of the places they gotta fill and they just offer whatever that is to whatever group is eligible for a list that week.

Back
Top Bottom