National Averages

Current CPC % to Target
-
Projected CPC % to Target
-

Updated --/--/----

Operational Info​

Airport Closure​

The city of Santa Monica plans to close the airport, and has authority to do so after December 31, 2028. The FAA has filed suit to keep it open, but as of the end of 2020, has been denied by the courts. The city intends to replace the airport with a park.

External Links​

A/FD

Local Area​

External Links​

The closing of SMO is a bitter sweet affair. While the city and the airport's neighbors will be thrilled once the field is closed, this will be hit to the private jet industry. A lot of our clients prefer the convenience of SMO to the drive and endless delays over at LAX. What is concerning to me is when the city will make the decision to shorten the runway fro just under 5,000ft to 3,500ft. According to the various press releases it appears that this can happen at any time. We have a large number of flights booked in and out of SMO over the coming year and once the runway is shortened, it will be too short for FAR Part 135 jet operations. I fear that instead of physically shortening the runway (i.e destroying the extra 1,500ft) the city will just NOTAM shorten the runway to 3,500ft. Although this closure is likely to affect any of us, its a big hit in the on going battle between airports and their neighbors and I never enjoy gratifying those whining neighbors with a win.

Last edited:
Do they send people to SMO? Saw their manning numbers and they were high on the terminal placement list, but not on any of the lists that just dropped for prior experience.

If there’s any other recent hires or anyone really who could shed light on this facility, I would really like to ask some questions.

Back
Top Bottom