STARS Tips/Tricks

If you accidentally type something random into the fix or ac type part of the data block and can’t remember what it was before you can type what’s currently in the data block that’s wrong and slew + enter it will go back to what it was before you changed it.

example say if you tried to hand off to S sector and you hit S twice and it replaced the fix with SS you can just type SS again and slew + enter and it’ll go back to what it was before your mistake.

I have a question. You flash an a/c to another sector. You try to take the flash back but the other sector takes the flash as you click the a/c. IF appears in the scratchpad. (Other sector has control of the a/c). How can you drop the tag so it's no longer on the scope?

Anyone have luck with imputing a VFR flight plan in to the NAS from STARS when a pop up calls up? What I mean is when ever the A/C calls up I try to input the FP as off of the XXX270030 (or wherever it is) going to ABC. I usually get a format error. However when I just put the arrival airport only the FP defaults that the A/C departed from our primary airport. I guess not that big of a deal considering it’s VFR but would like to know if I’m doing something wrong.

Anyone have luck with imputing a VFR flight plan in to the NAS from STARS when a pop up calls up? What I mean is when ever the A/C calls up I try to input the FP as off of the XXX270030 (or wherever it is) going to ABC. I usually get a format error. However when I just put the arrival airport only the FP defaults that the A/C departed from our primary airport. I guess not that big of a deal considering it’s VFR but would like to know if I’m doing something wrong.
I dunno if you can use a radial/DME off a fix. Just pick a nearby airport or VOR YYY, and where you would put just XXX for the destination do YYY*XXX.

I dunno if you can use a radial/DME off a fix. Just pick a nearby airport or VOR YYY, and where you would put just XXX for the destination do YYY*XXX.
Yup this is the best way to do it. Just make sure the straight line from the "departure" airport to the destination goes straight into the appropriate sector so you don't have amend the route.

Its like drawing an X on the strip... ACID, route (departure airport, arrival airport), type, altitude

*F then slew enter enter (double click) to get the nearest fix.
To change the callsign (tagged up and owned by you): *N12345 slew enter. Instead of MultiFunc Mod.
To give a current track a new IFR beacon code: MultiFunc, Mod, +, slew enter. For VFR same thing, except the / VFR key.
the change a callsign one is only if it's been adapted to do that. At my new facility that doesn't work. I have to do the whole MF, MOD, Nxxxxx :(

Reviving this thread for a question -

The Pref Set of one of the controllers here has a weird thing we can’t fix. The unlabeled ADS-B quick look preview button in the top left corner displays the squawk code of most/all targets on other pref sets when depressed, but it doesn’t on the one she based hers off. We can’t find the command to toggle that on/off. Any ideas?

Reviving this thread for a question -

The Pref Set of one of the controllers here has a weird thing we can’t fix. The unlabeled ADS-B quick look preview button in the top left corner displays the squawk code of most/all targets on other pref sets when depressed, but it doesn’t on the one she based hers off. We can’t find the command to toggle that on/off. Any ideas?
Multifunction B E still works right?

Won't flash to adjacent facility, but it should?

Forcing a flash from IF, but is on a correct NAS code. You'll need the adjacent facility codes i.e. YYY is one of mine, but works like this.

F9 4250 YYY ENTER

Then, reattempt the flash handoff. You have to take it out of IF first.

Will force it to the sector you are trying to flash to like the old ARTS FORCE method. Each facility has a 3 letter or digit code.

F9 4250 YYY ENTER
You can do this instead of 6-7-10-ing the flight plan? That would be amazing.

Also when you say "facility codes" I imagine you mean the fix pairs that show up in the tab list, or when you multifunction-D on a target? So a track has the entry fix AAA and exit fix BBB but you want to flash to the facility associated with the exit fix CCC, you would do F9 4250 CCC?

Also when you say "facility codes" I imagine you mean the fix pairs that show up in the tab list, or when you multifunction-D on a target? So a track has the entry fix AAA and exit fix BBB but you want to flash to the facility associated with the exit fix CCC, you would do F9 4250 CCC?
This worked at my last tracon but not my current. I believe it's something they can configure at each site.

Honestly the FAA needs to standardize stars SOME stars functions across the nas

Yes, exactly. If it doesn't work, tell your tech ops to get on that shit. Lol

Yes, exactly. If it doesn't work, tell your tech ops to get on that shit. Lol

Back
Top Bottom