Successive Departure Separation

sporio1

Lurker
Regarding successive departure 15 degree/1 mile, specifically the 1 mile... if you had a slow cessna depart with a citation behind, cessna 15 degree right, citation runway heading.
The cessna is 1 mile off the runway established on a 15 degree right heading when the citation is off the departure end. Is this legal, or does the 1 mile have to be maintained(trailing/laterally?), considering aircraft performance, leaving out visual separation?

Regarding successive departure 15 degree/1 mile, specifically the 1 mile... if you had a slow cessna depart with a citation behind, cessna 15 degree right, citation runway heading.
The cessna is 1 mile off the runway established on a 15 degree right heading when the citation is off the departure end. Is this legal, or does the 1 mile have to be maintained(trailing/laterally?), considering aircraft performance, leaving out visual separation?

Yeah that's legal, if you've got 15 degrees it doesn't matter who's going what speed. The guy could be 1/4 mile off the end and you can launch the citation

What you can't do is launch someone runway heading and give the next guy the turn if there's not going to be a mile before he turns

Yeah that's legal, if you've got 15 degrees it doesn't matter who's going what speed. The guy could be 1/4 mile off the end and you can launch the citation

What you can't do is launch someone runway heading and give the next guy the turn if there's not going to be a mile before he turns
Prove that I didn't have a mile! Hurry up, somebody drop a pen.

Give them visual and have a good day
Well but you can't really, OP sort of touched on it. To use visual you have to take into consideration a/c characteristics, closure rate, etc—you can't just launch the citation up the cessna's butt and say "I had visual—I was visually watching as the citation ran right into him!"

Well but you can't really, OP sort of touched on it. To use visual you have to take into consideration a/c characteristics, closure rate, etc—you can't just launch the citation up the cessna's butt and say "I had visual—I was visually watching as the citation ran right into him!"

They're separated...

cessna 15 degree right, citation runway heading.
The cessna is 1 mile off the runway established on a 15 degree right heading when the citation is off the departure end.

Maintain visual, contact departure cya...

You most likely won't have your mile after the citation gets going. If both aircraft are 2 miles from the departure end separated by 15 degrees you're screwed.

Back
Top Bottom