The FAA staffing problem that NO ONE is talking about

I've heard that as a part of the bailouts the airlines got that they are required to run a certain amount of flights whether their demand required them or not, but that money runs out in early OCT and then flights will drop off rather drastically. Anybody else heard or read anything like that?b I guess some sup's were told that on a telcon so they are preparing to run with this 5 on, 5 off schedule until after the holidays.

I think what they are probably referring to is that certain cities will likely be dropped.

ya no, all the airlines are voluntarily adding hundreds of flight a days in July. Travel is coming back at a pretty good. Check that out to watch passenger growth.

They're adding a lot of flights but overall it's still way down and they are still offering crazy incentives for some employees to voluntarily leave. I don't think there is any dispute that they will still be significantly smaller come October 1.

I think what they are probably referring to is that certain cities will likely be dropped.

They're adding a lot of flights but overall it's still way down and they are still offering crazy incentives for some employees to voluntarily leave. I don't think there is any dispute that they will still be significantly smaller come October 1.
Domestic will be pretty good by October. International is gonna be way down still.

Oct 1 plan to see major layoffs by the airlines and schedules cut. As part of the bailout requirements to accept money, they could not reduce payroll thru Sept 30th. United has already stated there will be drawdowns on Oct 1st.

Oct 1 plan to see major layoffs by the airlines and schedules cut. As part of the bailout requirements to accept money, they could not reduce payroll thru Sept 30th. United has already stated there will be drawdowns on Oct 1st.

It’s a totally new world from may 5

I’m worried there will be mass layoffs all over that day. I’m not one of the d-bags who checks their TSP twice a day and thinks they’re a day trader moving money to the maximum extend the website lets you but I might go very heavy into the G Fund the weeks prior. Even if there are not mass layoffs the uncertainty for something like that usually tanks the market even if the final result is not nearly as bad as they thought. Plus if that happens and the Dems win the election the next month with Biden running on a far left agenda you could see a tanking similar to what we seen in March and April.

My guess international won’t come back til spring 2021 at the earliest because the rest of the world sees what a clusterfuck America is and will keep their borders closed to us.
Was just gonna say this reading through the thread. Some countries are looking into creating a travel bubble where they’ll allow international travel from as long as they have the disease under control. We won’t be allowed in this group anytime soon if at all during the course of the pandemic.

My guess international won’t come back til spring 2021 at the earliest because the rest of the world sees what a clusterfuck America is and will keep their borders closed to us.

I’m a trainee and I hope you’re wrong for the sole fact that my airspace mostly handles international flights and I haven’t been at work since early March.

Delta CEO says demand 'at a stall,' 2019 business travel may never return

Well boys, here we are 2 months into my original thesis. Airline bailout money is starting to run dry. All the majors are sending out furlough notices to large portions of their work force. Demand is plateauing. Many corona hot spots (which happen to coincide with popular vacation spots) are shutting down their economies once again, and this is during peak travel season. The outlook for commercial air travel is pretty bleak, so much so that even the Delta CEO can't help but read the writing on the wall. TSA screenings averaging ~28% what they were one year ago. The low in screenings was just under 4% YoY, so ridership has increased 7x off the low. Admittedly, I didn't think we'd be this high right now. However, it's important to note that this is with all the bailout money that has allowed the airlines to operate at a substantial loss. In the article, the DAL CEO mentions they are still one of the only big airlines blocking off the middle seat, but they can't make any money running flights at 60% capacity so they will have to do away with the policy shortly.

Meanwhile, on main street, the unemployment checks are still flowing, so the hit to the real economy hasn't become blatantly obvious yet. Even with the unemployment checks, delinquencies and forbearances are at alarming rates. Even in the most saturated markets like SFO, rents are falling as people flee high COLA areas. SFO rents plunged 11.8% YoY. 25% of NYC renters have not paid rent since March, leaving 39% of landlords unable to pay their property taxes. The number is expected to rise once the extra $600/week unemployment expires at the end of the month. Inevitably, many landlords that don't own their properties will take losses that bankrupt them, shifting the losses to the lender. As more and more businesses shut down, commercial real estate will also take a huge hit, and once again the banks that lent the money will have to take huge losses as well will undoubtedly require the largest bank bailout in history as all banks are completely insolvent.

This is just a little teaser of what's to come. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm certain I am not. I would like to work real traffic before my career is over and I am confident enough in my thesis that I am going to put in for the N90 open bid. Rent is going to be so affordable on LI by the time I get there that I might as well just go for it. Plus, like I said in my OP, it'll be an easy checkout and have great staffing in 5 years as a result of the decreased traffic and amount of trainees currently in house.

Well boys, here we are 2 months into my original thesis. Airline bailout money is starting to run dry. All the majors are sending out furlough notices to large portions of their work force. Demand is plateauing. Many corona hot spots (which happen to coincide with popular vacation spots) are shutting down their economies once again, and this is during peak travel season. The outlook for commercial air travel is pretty bleak, so much so that even the Delta CEO can't help but read the writing on the wall. TSA screenings averaging ~28% what they were one year ago. The low in screenings was just under 4% YoY, so ridership has increased 7x off the low. Admittedly, I didn't think we'd be this high right now. However, it's important to note that this is with all the bailout money that has allowed the airlines to operate at a substantial loss. In the article, the DAL CEO mentions they are still one of the only big airlines blocking off the middle seat, but they can't make any money running flights at 60% capacity so they will have to do away with the policy shortly.

Meanwhile, on main street, the unemployment checks are still flowing, so the hit to the real economy hasn't become blatantly obvious yet. Even with the unemployment checks, delinquencies and forbearances are at alarming rates. Even in the most saturated markets like SFO, rents are falling as people flee high COLA areas. SFO rents plunged 11.8% YoY. 25% of NYC renters have not paid rent since March, leaving 39% of landlords unable to pay their property taxes. The number is expected to rise once the extra $600/week unemployment expires at the end of the month. Inevitably, many landlords that don't own their properties will take losses that bankrupt them, shifting the losses to the lender. As more and more businesses shut down, commercial real estate will also take a huge hit, and once again the banks that lent the money will have to take huge losses as well will undoubtedly require the largest bank bailout in history as all banks are completely insolvent.

This is just a little teaser of what's to come. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm certain I am not. I would like to work real traffic before my career is over and I am confident enough in my thesis that I am going to put in for the N90 open bid. Rent is going to be so affordable on LI by the time I get there that I might as well just go for it. Plus, like I said in my OP, it'll be an easy checkout and have great staffing in 5 years as a result of the decreased traffic and amount of trainees currently in house.

The dude has valid points.

Better get to those high level facilities before they downgrade.
Exactly. Also, one more thing I forgot to add, here's a twitter thread extending back two months with a bunch of big corporations announcing layoffs for those who are interested. Many of these are good paying jobs, and now instead of flying during their leisure time, they're going to be just trying to get by. This recession/depression will cut deep.

I have about 7.5 years in, think I would be safe if furloughs are based on seniority?
I'd say you're very safe. There's so many trainees and people with way less seniority that would be furloughed first, like 32andBelow for example. Then he'll be on here complaining about how he just wished he was getting D2 pay to sit at home and do nothing.

I have about 7.5 years in, think I would be safe if furloughs are based on seniority?

why does nobody rip you a new @$$hole for saying the f word on here?

You lost me in this paragraph. Traffic will come back during your career. N90 will never be an “easy checkout.” LI rent will not be affordable. N90 will not solve their staffing issues due to COVID. Maybe dank can come by and confirm.

I'd say you're very safe. There's so many trainees and people with way less seniority that would be furloughed first, like 32andBelow for example. Then he'll be on here complaining about how he just wished he was getting D2 pay to sit at home and do nothing.

assuming it goes by strict agency seniority. There are 2018 hires that are CPCs at small towers that would have crippled staffing if they lost their bottom 2-3 people. If furloughs do happen, they can’t be strictly seniority based agency wide. It’s impossible.

Excuse me for a moment...

Attachments

• headinsand_getty_crop_nov_2014_0.png
    headinsand_getty_crop_nov_2014_0.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
why does nobody rip you a new @$$hole for saying the f word on here?

You lost me in this paragraph. Traffic will come back during your career. N90 will never be an “easy checkout.” LI rent will not be affordable. N90 will not solve their staffing issues due to COVID. Maybe dank can come by and confirm.

I know the future as well as anybody on here

Back
Top Bottom