"This facility is a country club"

Throw ‘‘em down. Let’s hear about this country club!
It's not a real country club but for the 5/10 schedule and you want to know what they're complaining about? They're complaining about not being on their bid lines and only having to work 40 hours a week instead of 80. Their complaining about diffs and holiday pay and Sunday pay and some of them want to return to 5/2. Are you kidding me? I did all the calculations and at $35 an hour which is about the avg here, they're missing about $6k/ year in diffs. Meanwhile, they're working 1100 hours/year less. That works out to $5.45/hr pretax. Take out a little over 30% for effective federal, state, and payroll taxes and we're talking about ~$3.5 an hour. If they're so worried about a couple bucks, they could get a job doing literally anything else and be better off.
mark wahlberg no GIF by Daddy's Home

It's not a real country club but for the 5/10 schedule and you want to know what they're complaining about? They're complaining about not being on their bid lines and only having to work 40 hours a week instead of 80. Their complaining about diffs and holiday pay and Sunday pay and some of them want to return to 5/2. Are you kidding me? I did all the calculations and at $35 an hour which is about the avg here, they're missing about $6k/ year in diffs. Meanwhile, they're working 1100 hours/year less. That works out to $5.45/hr pretax. Take out a little over 30% for effective federal, state, and payroll taxes and we're talking about ~$3.5 an hour. If they're so worried about a couple bucks, they could get a job doing literally anything else and be better off.
mark wahlberg no GIF by Daddy's Home's Home
Oh yeah I hear that. We had the same shit at my facility. One of the lines missed out on two holidays in a row and a few of them started asking to go back to 5/2. seriously??? You’re getting paid almost the same amount to work a little more than half as much. If you’re stretching yourself so much financially that you rely on diffs and holidays then I don’t feel bad for you.

yEa BuT iF yOu gOt To PuT tHaT iN tHe TsP iT’d Be MiLIoNS!!!

The struggle is real!

300px-I_Am_Never_Gonna_Financially_Recover_From_This.jpg

A 10% pay cut would be pretty rough if you only make 35 an hour lol

A 10% pay cut would be pretty rough if you only make 35 an hour lol
*trigger warning*
Hey man, not everyone is fortunate enough to make d2 center pay to sit at home

Also, sure a 10% pay cut is not ideal but I'd take 90% pay to work less than 50% of the hours and it's not even close

*trigger warning*
Hey man, not everyone is fortunate enough to make d2 center pay to sit at home

Also, sure a 10% pay cut is not ideal but I'd take 90% pay to work less than 50% of the hours and it's not even close
Ok but you can also be sympathetic to the people that count on that extra 10%

Ok but you can also be sympathetic to the people that count on that extra 10%

Not that I’m unsympathetic, but with no OT and diffs some people took a 30% cut in take home pay. If you spend every red cent you make that’s a personal problem whether you make 30 an hour or 50 an hour or 80 an hour.

It’s called living above your means.

Not that I’m unsympathetic, but with no OT and diffs some people took a 30% cut in take home pay. If you spend every red cent you make that’s a personal problem whether you make 30 an hour or 50 an hour or 80 an hour.

And a 10-30% Paycut could be all your monthly savings out the window.

without OT I took almost a 40% cut in take home pay. Plus lots of people had spouses laid off or furloughed so went from dual income to single income families. I can see plenty of valid reasons for people why every dollar matters. Fortunately in my case we can live fine on my straight 80 pay, but had my wife been working when we bought our house and we were budgeted for dual income we’d be hurting real bad now since she was laid off in March.

Last edited:
Some places OT is normal and has been for decades.

exactly. Don’t care who you are, you work 6 day weeks for 5+ years that becomes the standard. Loss of ot is a $100k/yr paycut for some people. And nobody had “global pandemic shutting down air travel overnight with recovery measured in years” on their risk calculations.

I agree with OT but differentials are constant in our schedules. Sunday pay in particular and it’s something that certain people bid specifically.

I hear you, but it wouldn't be the first time a controller, say, tears their achilles tendon playing in an adult kickball league and then loses their medical for several months because the doctor says they can't do stairs. You don't usually get Sunday pay on admin time. If that sounds ridiculous, it was, but I watched it happen to a coworker.

Then there's the obvious schedules can be moved around for people in training (CPC-ITs as well) for labs and classrooms and whatever. And there goes the sunday pay and night diff.

It's just liberating to not care and treat everything as a bonus.

I hear you, but it wouldn't be the first time a controller, say, tears their achilles tendon playing in an adult kickball league and then loses their medical for several months because the doctor says they can't do stairs. You don't usually get Sunday pay on admin time. If that sounds ridiculous, it was, but I watched it happen to a coworker.

Then there's the obvious schedules can be moved around for people in training (CPC-ITs as well) for labs and classrooms and whatever. And there goes the sunday pay and night diff.

It's just liberating to not care and treat everything as a bonus.
Yah of course. But that’s 1 guy. Not the whole facility or NAS. And these guys aren’t hurt. They’re being forced to work a non bid schedule. Not that I wanna work 5/2 but you can’t get mad at their position.

Back
Top Bottom