Today the result of a DUI took another poor soul

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Blessed

Please guys do me a favor and be responsible if you decide to drink while at the academy. I was arrested Sunday morning while sitting in my parked car a week before evals . It’s not worth it, learn from my mistake! I was going in with over 28 points and confident I could of made it but now I’ll never know. The FAA has zero tolerance for DUIs and YOU WILL GET TERMINATED. If you’ve been drinking you can’t even sit in your car with your keys regardless of if you intended on driving or not.. OKPD showed me no mercy and I’m already learning from it. Good luck to the rest of you!

Please guys do me a favor and be responsible if you decide to drink while at the academy. I was arrested Sunday morning while sitting in my parked car a week before evals . It’s not worth it, learn from my mistake! I was going in with over 28 points and confident I could of made it but now I’ll never know. The FAA has zero tolerance for DUIs and YOU WILL GET TERMINATED. If you’ve been drinking you can’t even sit in your car with your keys regardless of if you intended on driving or not.. OKPD showed me no mercy and I’m already learning from it. Good luck to the rest of you!
Sorry to hear that. You seem like you have a good attitude about the situation by sharing your experience with everyone else. God bless you.

I always thought that the law that you can get a DUI while sleeping in your car in a parking lot was absolutely nuts, it actually encourages people to drive home at that point as why not, the consequences are the same? By that logic if you are drunk and being driven home by a friend you should also get a DUI due to the “potential” that you could switch and start to drive. I think most cops don’t enforce that but there will always be a percentage that does.
Sorry for the situation, you will probably be able to get it thrown out legally but obviously that won’t reverse the job situation.

I always thought that the law that you can get a DUI while sleeping in your car in a parking lot was absolutely nuts, it actually encourages people to drive home at that point as why not, the consequences are the same? By that logic if you are drunk and being driven home by a friend you should also get a DUI due to the “potential” that you could switch and start to drive. I think most cops don’t enforce that but there will always be a percentage that does.
Sorry for the situation, you will probably be able to get it thrown out legally but obviously that won’t reverse the job situation.
I've always thought the reasoning for this is that they say if you're in your car with your keys it shows intent to drive which is when you become guilty of a DUI. Don't actually have to drive to do it.

Kinda like if you enter a store intent on shoplifting you've already committed shoplifting but you just have to do it so they can show the intent.

I agree though, just can't have your keys? Not sure where you put them though.

Talk to someone who has lost a loved one because of a drunk driver. If we could have saved that One persons life due to the fear of even getting in the car while drunk I’m okay with strict laws on this issue.

Wow, lots of holier then thou snowflakes on here lol, probably the same people who try to demonize alcohol but think smoking weed should be with no restrictions legal and permitted by the FAA. This person never said they had any intention to drive, sleeping in a car is a responsible thing to do to prevent driving drunk, OKC Fuzz probably just seen out of state plates and the "pigs wanted to blow his house down".

Reactions: MKK
Wow, lots of holier then thou snowflakes on here lol, probably the same people who try to demonize alcohol but think smoking weed should be with no restrictions legal and permitted by the FAA. This person never said they had any intention to drive, sleeping in a car is a responsible thing to do to prevent driving drunk, OKC Fuzz probably just seen out of state plates and the "pigs wanted to blow his house down".

I'm not holier then thou. I have a DUI from when I was 17. The difference is, I was a kid. This person has been an adult and legally able to drink. My DUI was also 11 years ago. Back then uber, lyft, and everything else didn't exist... cabs had to be scheduled. Add in I was below the legal limit for adults.

So no, I don't have sympathy. This person knew better and did it anyway.

If you’re gonna sleep in the car, don’t sleep in the drivers seat and don’t have the keys in the ignition. Might not save you everywhere but I think it does in some places.

Doesn't matter what you're actual intentions are. It matters what they can prove in court. And having your keys with you in a car that's still parked has been shown to be enough. Though there is more to it than that, depends if OP was in the driver's seat and other things like that.

It's not as cut and dry of a case for them to make though and OP should just get a lawyer and not listen to our bs.

Edit; also if this indeed a serious post, the title is pretty tone deaf. You may lose your job and some money but a lot of actual souls have been taken by DUI. Just a thought.

How hard is it to not put yourself in this position for 1 year while on probation when the agency tells you straight up on day one and so does the union?

kinda lame they fire you just for being charged with something...what happen to innocent until proven guilty.

kinda lame they fire you just for being charged with something...what happen to innocent until proven guilty.

The FAA doesn't give a fuck. It's all about liability and it's better in their eyes to cut you loose then wait for the legal result.

The FAA doesn't give a fuck. It's all about liability and it's better in their eyes to cut you loose then wait for the legal result.

Innocent until proven guilty doesn't extend beyond the court. Being charged with a serious crime is good enough reason to part ways with someone.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was an actual and legitimate crime prior to the arrest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom