What facility should I pick?

Where you come from is completely irrelevant under the current rules. The best way to go from mcdonalds to a lvl12 in the shortest time is to go to a lvl4 tower only.

I agree that if you want to a level 12 tower is to go to a level 4 or 5 tower only. But we have had people put in ERR's to some level 12's that were told that they were looking for people from level 8s and up

I agree that if you want to a level 12 tower is to go to a level 4 or 5 tower only. But we have had people put in ERR's to some level 12's that were told that they were looking for people from level 8s and up
If your facility is still eligible by the time it hits that level 11/12 tower, the only way they can turn you down is if they have more ERRs then available slots and ranked them accordingly. If the FAA continues to hire like they have been, there will come a time where these high level towers have an ample amount of 8-10's to choose from, but until that happens eligibility is everything. Even from the few higher level towers I've visited recently, you'd be amazed at how little they're aware of the new transfer process.

Does anyone have a link to the form the FAA uses to determine facility level?

Also, it seems as if GSP is right on the cusp of being a level 7. Anyone have some inside information on if/when it might get upgraded?

Does anyone have a link to the form the FAA uses to determine facility level?

Also, it seems as if GSP is right on the cusp of being a level 7. Anyone have some inside information on if/when it might get upgraded?
Seems like it based on what metrics? The formula is extremely complicated

Seems like it based on what metrics? The formula is extremely complicated

I was looking at FSM's traffic (7) - TWR = 46934, TRACON = 140198, total ops = 187132
GRR (7) - TWR = 82510, TRACON = 100280, total ops = 182790
GSP (6) - TWR = 47399, TRACON = 130164, total ops = 177563

I could list more level 7's, some of them are really busy like SBA, BOI, BHM etc., and some are close to level 6 traffic.

Is there a noticable difference in traffic in a tower when going from 50k to 100k ops a year?

Heading to the academy tomorrow so probably will be AWOL from the site for a bit!

UPDATE: Our class just finished PA's today and we passed 11/18. I passed and will most likely be heading to JAN with another friend from class. I'm happy to be going to an up down back in the south! I also look forward to hanging out more on this site since it is such a great resource. The academy is tough. I didn't get the scores I was really hoping for on local but I'm eternally grateful to have passed. We have placement day tomorrow and then we are off to our locations!

UPDATE: Our class just finished PA's today and we passed 11/18. I passed and will most likely be heading to JAN with another friend from class. I'm happy to be going to an up down back in the south! I also look forward to hanging out more on this site since it is such a great resource. The academy is tough. I didn't get the scores I was really hoping for on local but I'm eternally grateful to have passed. We have placement day tomorrow and then we are off to our locations!
Anyone get TWF or will it be taken this class? Saw it was reserved for academy graduate

Last edited:
Congrats! Best feeling in the world seeing OKC in your rearview mirror after passing the academy. You've got a long career ahead of you, start training with an open mind, be ready to be humbled, study often, monitor when you can. Trainers will always put more effort into you if they see you working hard on your own time.

We're going to be neighbors :D

Anyone get TWF or will it be taken this class? Saw it was reserved for academy graduate

Nobody from our class picked it. It also was not reserved for anyone for our class.

Congrats! Best feeling in the world seeing OKC in your rearview mirror after passing the academy. You've got a long career ahead of you, start training with an open mind, be ready to be humbled, study often, monitor when you can. Trainers will always put more effort into you if they see you working hard on your own time.

Yeah this is something I'm super proud of. Thanks for the tips. I know that training will be another hurdle I'll have to clear but I'm ready for the challenge and I'm more than ready to get to my facility and start talking to airplanes!

We're going to be neighbors :D

Ha! Nice. Does MLU approach coordinate with JAN?

It's been talked about in other posts but for your class, any explanation you'd care to offer for the 7 that didn't make it?

Is the time for training the time to CPC? Cause It doesn't make sense that Houston Tower would be only two months longer than somewhere like St Thomas

Back
Top Bottom