What facility should I pick?

You mean by getting less night differential?

Yeah pretty much. So for example a level 5 facility that is open 24 hours vs one that closes between 9-12 each night. Let's say rest of us locality. What kind of difference in overall pay do you think it would be each year.

Yeah pretty much. So for example a level 5 facility that is open 24 hours vs one that closes between 9-12 each night. Let's say rest of us locality. What kind of difference in overall pay do you think it would be each year.
Couple hundred dollars at most, and that's if you swap shifts to take more mids than you'd normally work. You're talking ~$3.50/hr

When people talk about being at a "bad" facility, what exactly are they referring to (besides nasty co-workers)? With this new ERR process I see that people want out of the facilities they are at but I can't imagine any place being super awful to work at. I would like to know so I don't pick those kinds of facilities LOL.

When people talk about being at a "bad" facility, what exactly are they referring to (besides nasty co-workers)? With this new ERR process I see that people want out of the facilities they are at but I can't imagine any place being super awful to work at. I would like to know so I don't pick those kinds of facilities LOL.
- The location of the facility, including the state of you wanna go that far.
- The amount (or lack thereof) traffic.
- The training procedures.
- The pay (of lower leveled facilities).
- The lack of inbound people (many hardships filed leaves those of us stagnant).

I'll think of a few more once I've had a couple beers.

There are some that I would say to avoid based on livability on the salary... Nantucket, aspen, any of the level 5s or 6s in the LA and SF areas. Anything low level in Hawaii could probably be tough. Tell ya what... DM me your list when its your turn to choose, and I will pick for ya.

What you wrote:

- The location of the facility, including the state of you wanna go that far.
- The amount (or lack thereof) traffic.
- The training procedures.
- The pay (of lower leveled facilities).
- The lack of inbound people (many hardships filed leaves those of us stagnant).

I'll think of a few more once I've had a couple beers.

What I heard: Don't go to MLU. LOL!

There are some that I would say to avoid based on livability on the salary... Nantucket, aspen, any of the level 5s or 6s in the LA and SF areas. Anything low level in Hawaii could probably be tough. Tell ya what... DM me your list when its your turn to choose, and I will pick for ya.

Well in that case if LEX is on the list and you pick it for me... I'll send a case of beer as payment to rugbydog11 consulting services. Haha

I mean if you do get sent here, don't stress it or anything. For the most part it's alright but we have many kinks to work out here.

Probably a complex question but: What type of facility should I try to get if I graduate from the academy? Tower, up/down, or TRACON? And which level? I'm not really picky about my location so should I shoot for the highest level possible? Thanks!!
Facility that has at least an up/down. You'll be able to move up facility rating and pay scale faster that way.

After some more research, I think it would be best for me to go to a level 7 up/down. Despite the longer training times I feel that having both a CTO and a radar certificate would make me more appealing to facilities where I would like to transfer to down the road. I now am paying attention to the PPT excel file that has the staffing information on it so I can choose a facility where the staffing is good and with not a lot of trainees.

All of this is assuming I pass the academy of course. I wish they would go back to the old way of things where you would get a TOL for a specific facility that way you knew where you were going. Thanks guys!

Just know that If your end goal is a level 12 tracon or or tower, some of them wont pick people up that are below a level 8. Best bet is to look at a facility closest to where you want to be.

Just know that If your end goal is a level 12 tracon or or tower, some of them wont pick people up that are below a level 8. Best bet is to look at a facility closest to where you want to be.

Where you come from is completely irrelevant under the current rules. The best way to go from mcdonalds to a lvl12 in the shortest time is to go to a lvl4 tower only.

Where you come from is completely irrelevant under the current rules. The best way to go from mcdonalds to a lvl12 in the shortest time is to go to a lvl4 tower only.

Had a guy wash from JAX, went to a level 4, checked out in a few months and is now at Chicago Center, all under a year of leaving JAX. Have a friend up at PVD, level 7, cant get Boston TRACON because they want someone from a level 9 or above. Every situation is different.

Had a guy wash from JAX, went to a level 4, checked out in a few months and is now at Chicago Center, all under a year of leaving JAX. Have a friend up at PVD, level 7, cant get Boston TRACON because they want someone from a level 9 or above. Every situation is different.
I'm betting that wasn't under the new ERR process though.

I'm betting that wasn't under the new ERR process though.

Honestly I have no idea how he got out so fast, He was asked if he wanted to stay or Certify and go. They rushed him through, the day he was certified he had papers in. Few months after that he got Chicago Center where he wanted. He started there 3 weeks ago now maybe 4. He left here late summer 2016.

PVD friend has tried pre and post MOU to go. I think PVD is cat 2 but still no joy for him to go yet.

Back
Top Bottom