Terminal 11/30/21 Terminal basics

robertvmarshall

Trusted Contributor
Thread for classmates to discuss 11/30/2021 terminal basics. Congrats on making it though the process so far. I'm excited to meet you all!

My projected in-person start date is 1/5/2022. There's a high likelihood that I will not have a car in OKC, so I'm leaning towards Kim's Place right now.

Im going to drive out to OKC so ill have some wheels. Im interested in a furnished single bedroom kind of set up. been looking at ABBA house, AMonet, A&T Anatole.... When do you plan on making reservations??

Im going to drive out to OKC so ill have some wheels. Im interested in a furnished single bedroom kind of set up. been looking at ABBA house, AMonet, A&T Anatole.... When do you plan on making reservations??
I already emailed Kim. I figured the earlier the better, and Kim seems pretty accommodating as far as the "projected" date is concerned.

Last edited:
Where are you coming from? And have you purchased the terminal study guide yet? I did, gonna chip away at it every day. Im driving from Colorado.
I'm coming from Atlanta. I didn't plan on purchasing the study guide. I don't want to risk learning anything "wrong". I want to start fresh and make sure I do it "the academy way". I already know my alphabet though.

I'm coming from Atlanta. I didn't plan on purchasing the study guide. I don't want to risk learning anything "wrong". I want to start fresh and make sure I do it "the academy way". I already know my alphabet though.
Hey I didn’t realize this was for a class. I thought it was the public thread.

But the terminal study guide for tower, I would look at the call signs and the aircraft types correlating to them. They are in every scenario. And it can help you remember the call signs when they start talking to you in the TSS sims. Pilots will not answer wrong call signs or aircraft types. Especially in your PA. They’ll deduct points for every from call sign you say on the frequency. And the call signs/aircraft with it are accurate on the study guide. That’s the only thing I’d say to look over/study/remember.

It’s in the aircraft characteristics quiz section. It’ll have the call signs when you look at the aircraft types.

I’m so nervous. I cannot wait to meet everyone! What do you guys think about us being selected for terminal compared to en route?

I’m so nervous. I cannot wait to meet everyone! What do you guys think about us being selected for terminal compared to en route?
I tried not to have a preference. I was getting used to the idea of en route since I new that was more likely. But I'm pumped to get terminal. Seems like a higher pass rate and potentially shorter time to get certified.

I tried not to have a preference. I was getting used to the idea of en route since I new that was more likely. But I'm pumped to get terminal. Seems like a higher pass rate and potentially shorter time to get certified.
Great to know!
I’m looking forward to our future office views..
Do you have an idea how long we will be at the academy or how many in our class?

Great to know!
I’m looking forward to our future office views..
Do you have an idea how long we will be at the academy or how many in our class?
It seems like class sizes have been about 8. Basics is about a month, then I think we'll be in OKC for about 4-5 months. I don't know exactly though. What part of the country are you going to be coming from?

Straight from the FAQs.

How long is the academy?​

It depends on what track you are and whether you take basics or not.
  • Online Basics: 19 days
  • Initial Tower: 37 days
  • Initial En Route: 60 days
  • RTF: 25 days
  • TSEW: 21 days
  • TETRA: 20 days
So, do terminal students only do basics and initial tower? we don't do RTF, TSEW, or TETRA?

How long is the academy?​

It depends on what track you are and whether you take basics or not.
  • Online Basics: 19 days
  • Initial Tower: 37 days
  • Initial En Route: 60 days
  • RTF: 25 days
  • TSEW: 21 days
  • TETRA: 20 days
So, do terminal students only do basics and initial tower? we don't do RTF, TSEW, or TETRA?
RTF and TSEW are radar. If you go to an up/down or transfer in a few years to a terminal radar facility you will go back to OKC for those courses. TETRA is only for high level tracons.

Back
Top Bottom